• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Mask Discussion and Reconstruction Thread

Jasonsith

VS Battles
Calculation Group
Translation Helper
Discuss anything relevant to The Mask, the Big Head who is as wacky as (if not wackier than) Deadpool.

Current project:

Since the profile for The Mask is all over the place (except our beloved Jim Carrey Stanley Ipkiss), I decided to see if anyone is willing to reorganise the feats for different media/version/key phase of The Mask.

AFAIK The Mask is in the following media:

Comic

• The Mask (Comic)
    • The Mask (Comic) Vol 0
    • The Mask (Comic) Vol 1
    • The Mask (Comic) Vol 2
    • The Mask (Comic) Vol 3
    • The Mask (Comic) Vol 4
  • The Mask Returns
    • The Mask Returns Vol 1
    • The Mask Returns Vol 2
    • The Mask Returns Vol 3
    • The Mask Returns Vol 4
  • The Mask Strikes Back
    • The Mask Strikes Back Vol 1
    • The Mask Strikes Back Vol 2
    • The Mask Strikes Back Vol 3
    • The Mask Strikes Back Vol 4
    • The Mask Strikes Back Vol 5
  • The Mask: The Hunt for Green October
    • The Mask: The Hunt for Green October Issue 1
    • The Mask: The Hunt for Green October Issue 2
    • The Mask: The Hunt for Green October Issue 3
    • The Mask: The Hunt for Green October Issue 4
  • The Mask: World Tour
    • The Mask: World Tour Issue 1
    • The Mask: World Tour Issue 2
    • The Mask: World Tour Issue 3
    • The Mask: World Tour Issue 4
  • The Mask: Southern Discomfort
Animatio

• The Mask: The Animated Series
Live-action Movie

• The Mask (1994 film)
  • Son of the Mask (2005 film)
Specials, spin-offs, and crossovers

• Mask: The Night Before Christmas (1994)
  • The Mask: Summer Vacation (1995)
  • The Mask in School Spirits (1995)
  • Adventures of the Mask (1996)
  • Walter: Campaign of Terror (1996)
  • Grifter and the Mask (1996)
  • Night of the Return of the Living Ipkiss...Kinda (1996)
  • Lobo vs. The Mask (1997)
  • The Mask: Virtual Surreality (1997)
  • The Mask/Marshal Law (1998)
  • Angry Young Mask (1999)
  • No Mask Is An Island (2000)
  • Joker/Mask (2000)
  • Itty Bitty Comics: The Mask (2014―2015)
Feel free to locate the feat calculations into different key phases.

Things that should scale to Movie Mask https://youtu.be/Uix8AbcL7Hk?t=34 Loki (who is the one who gave the mask his powers) when he got his nuts bit by a dog extended his eyes out past a far out satellite in space in seconds

https://youtu.be/2bUaE2ikVp8?t=55 Throws a giant grenade that is then blocked by the baby (who has Mask's powers also) and the blast still manages to reach past the shield vaporizing parts of the steel wall Loki summoned prior, Loki was very likely holding back immensely as he did this

https://youtu.be/2bUaE2ikVp8?t=96 Loki then tells Tim Avery (The Mask's host in this movie) to prepare to feel his true power and he makes what looks like a miniature star in his hands, though his power is nulled by Odin before he can use it

https://youtu.be/d31gE376pPw?t=57 Mask himself in this movie can also make giant guns and missiles the size of skyscrapers

He and Loki are equally matched as Loki says

Okay we have feats for Son of the Mask The Mask listed.

And bump.

The Jim Carrey Mask was only made with the movies in mind, I don't think there are any other media referenced in the profile...

If the steel wall is destroyed then Mask may be 9-A I guess, rest aren't really usable as they don't have any output we can translate to AP.

Damvey said:
The Mask from the Animated series should have his own profile in this site.
I agree. He needs a profile here. And that is a nice collection of feats there.

Additional feats:

The cartoon Mask has some Relativistic to potentially FTL combat speed & reaction feats. He has very casually reacted to and danced around true laser beams (said beams were shown reflecting off mirrors).

He has also dissipated a tsunami which was going to devastate an entire island (said island was fairly big). I've read articles online which state that the total energy of a tsunami can be in the range of triple digit Kilotons to double digit Megatons (which means this ****** is consistently in the Low 7-B to 7-B tier).

Time for me rewatch the series again.

"You Oughta Be in Pictures" - The Mask's butt casually contains a nuclear explosion.

"Martian Mask" - The Mask is shown to have many resistances.

Shouldn't The Mask follow the Weapon Profile template? The page itself already is an amalgamation of several different characters who used it

I think so, yeah, with individual hosts having their own profiles, like Ipkiss and Walter.

Also nothing tells that weapons can't, so we'll assume they can be keyed

Zark2099 said:
I think so, yeah, with individual hosts having their own profiles, like Ipkiss and Walter.
1. Walter was never a host for the Mask.

2. Having individual profiles for the hosts would mean having over a dozen (yes, a literal dozen) profiles for people who have the same powers as each other.

The Venom symbiote doesn't change owners nearly as frequently, and the most iconic person associated with Venom (Eddie Brock) has spent several collective decades being Venom.

To give you a real sense of how relatively non-notable any single Mask user actually is in the grand scheme of the original comic:

• Ipkiss (who you directly mentioned) only appears in one issue of the original comic. The only reason he has the "iconic" status he does is due to the movie and the animated series. In the comic, he dies in the very first story, and much more emphasis is put on other characters afterwards.
  • Kellaway, the next bearer who has far more remarkable feats, only has the Mask for four issues.
  • Nunzio, who's treated as a relatively unimportant wearer, gains and loses the Mask within generally the same timeframe. And then Kathy, a much more important character to the story, wears it for an equally short amount of time.
  • The Mask Strikes Back has most of the wearers of the book taking it off within the span of the issue they received it in. Some of them drop it within a matter of pages after putting it on, and none of them are ultimately treated as being major characters beyond their respective runs as Big-Head.
Having profiles for only a few of these characters would be arbitrary, and having profiles for all of them would be silly.

Would the animated series Stanley Ipkiss deserve his own profile? He has the mask for 54+ episodes, and the other characters who wear the mask have it for only one episode or even only a few minutes in one episode.

Probably, considering A) he's the main protagonist of his own series, and B) he's one of the two most popular and iconic versions of the Mask to exist.

I just don't think his original comic book version (or any of the other wearers in the original comic, really) should have his own profile, considering the larger sense of that comic treats him as a completely unimportant character, minus the fact that the series and its mayhem started with him.

By the way, I'm vaguely aware that Adventures of the Mask may or may not be a canon spin-off of the animated series. It has all of the same characters (as portrayed in the animated series), uses intentionally similar art, and starts off expecting you to already know the cast.

So that might be something to take into account. The animated series may be canon to those books.

We want to sort out which feats, which powers, which yields go to which characters, have their feat yields calculated, then make the profile.

My proposal on character profile classification:

• The Mask
    The original profile will turn into a disambiguation profile
  • The Mask (Stanley Ipkiss)
    for the original comics Stanley Ipkiss Mask
  • The Mask (Katherine)
    for the original comics Katherine Mask
  • The Mask (Mitch Kellaway)
    for the original comics Lieutenant Mitch Kellaway Mask
  • The Mask (1994)
    for the The Mask (1994 film) movie Stanley Ipkiss Mask
  • The Mask (2005)
    for the Son of the Mask (2005 film) movie Tim Avery Mask
  • The Mask (Animated Series)
    for the Mask appearing at The Mask: Animated Series
  • Joker-Mask
    for the crossover comic when The Joker wore the Mask
  • The Mask (Lobo vs. The Mask)
    for the crossover comic Lobo vs. The Mask Mask
Walter (The Mask) stays as it is, with tuning based on Katherine Mask and Kellaway Mask.

The Comics! Mask is being composited into a single profile, which I suppose is logical, though the better alternative would be to make different profiles for each run.

The 2005 Mask already has its abilities listed in the 1994 one, as explained

Zark2099 said:
The Comics! Mask is being composited into a single profile, which I suppose is logical, though the better alternative would be to make different profiles for each run.

The 2005 Mask already has its abilities listed in the 1994 one, as explained
We can actually make a "The Mask (Dark Horse Comics)" profile and contain the Comics!Mask with 3 (or more) users by key phase, and "The Mask (movie)" as a Movie!Mask with Stanley Ipkiss and Tim Avery.

Lobo!Mask and Joker-Mask are having their own profiles.

Just wondering if people may think this is a good idea:

A) making different profiles for different users for "original comics" and "live action movies"

B) making each composite page with different key phases for different users for different media set, e.g. "original comics" and "live action movies" (sort of currently practising now)

The "animated series" Mask, Joker-Mask and Lobo vs Mask Mask will have their own profiles.

Solution

Solution A

Solution B

The poll was created at 16:11 on 1 December 2019, and so far 11 people voted.
Please wait, submitting your vote...

Did you not see what MrKingOfNegativity said? There are like, 50 Mask users with too similiar abilities and little to no notability.

Making different profiles is absolutely pointless.

Noted.

Currently the Comic!Mask has 2 key phases and the definitions of "original storyline" / "later installments" are unclear (at least not clearly said in the profiles). Do we just have a clearer cutoff of different key phases by stage of comics or by the user, or just one single profile of "varies among 9-B, 9-A and 8-B"?

Anime!Mask deserves its own profile.

I reckon Original Mask refers to the initial run of the Mask, while later installments refer to ones added on later.

You do know you can just make said profiles, right?

Well I make this thread so that everyone can have their feedback so that the character profiles and key phases can be set with relative objectivity. It is not nice to make a profile just to last less than a week and get scrapped.

One confirmation I wish: the "original storyline" should touch only "the original comics from The Mask (AKA "Mayhem") to The Mask Strikes Back". Any later installments goes to "later installments"

I believe I can draft or even publish the Anime!Mask profile once the feats are properly calculated and verified.

(@zark2099 I hope you are not personally angry with me.)

No, I'm just stating. I'm not mad or angry or anything, maybe I could've reworded my words to sound less confrontational

Making threads like these honestly just slow down process, any arguments about the stats can be done later because as of now its guesswork with little reference, which discourages alotta folks to contribute.

It's better to get a draft going at the absolute least

Idk, finding either suitable respect threads or searching for feats yourself, that'll be the way you'd get the profiles created

So idk if The Mask was super wanked in other forums or something but can anyone really beat the Mask (If the user decides to wear the Mask forever since people cannot force it off unless the user says so). Because it is kinda of dumb that the creators did not make an anti-Mask squad or something as if the Mask wanted to, he can destroy his own world/universe.

I need a great reason for any Mask researcher because if Stanley or Kellaway wanted to, they could have killed the unstoppable Walter. (The other users feel like they give up or something)

ChiakiKakumei said:
So idk if The Mask was super wanked in other forums or something but can anyone really beat the Mask (If the user decides to wear the Mask forever since people cannot force it off unless the user says so). Because it is kinda of dumb that the creators did not make an anti-Mask squad or something as if the Mask wanted to, he can destroy his own world/universe.

I need a great reason for any Mask researcher because if Stanley or Kellaway wanted to, they could have killed the unstoppable Walter. (The other users feel like they give up or something)
The Mask the way its always has been seen from him/her can't be defeated by conventional means, they aren't far off when the Mask can't be stopped normal means (This whole ******* site should know this well.)... BUT nevertheless do not get TOO confident.

Despite The Masks very notably shown invulnerability and near godlike Regen there are still ways to still beat the big M through some wider extents, like if that said version of the Mask lacks immunity to soul absorption, Transmutation, Empathic Manipulation like what Lobo did when he threw a guilt bomb at The Mask to guilt trip in taking it off, or absorption in general and higher Reality Warping/Toon Force capability then he can without a doubt actually lose.

Also WHERE DID IT SHOW THAT HE CAN DESTROY THE UNIVERSE? THIS PART REALLY INTRIGED ME like damn, I actually heard this from some other user is it actually a true feat? Sounds too good to be true. o_o

Zark2099 said:
Idk, finding either suitable respect threads or searching for feats yourself, that'll be the way you'd get the profiles created
Also I am not one to frequently edit or create profiles as I am more anchored to using a cellular device, maybe there's another way for aid.

Anomalous N I W D E said:
ChiakiKakumei said:

The Mask the way its always has been seen from him/her can't be defeated by conventional means, they aren't far off when the Mask can't be stopped normal means (This whole ******* site should know this well.)... BUT nevertheless do not get TOO confident.
Despite The Masks very notably shown invulnerability and near godlike Regen there are still ways to still beat the big M through some wider extents, like if that said version of the Mask lacks immunity to soul absorption, Transmutation, Empathic Manipulation like what Lobo did when he threw a guilt bomb at The Mask to guilt trip in taking it off, or absorption in general and higher Reality Warping/Toon Force capability then he can without a doubt actually lose.

Also WHERE DID IT SHOW THAT HE CAN DESTROY THE UNIVERSE? THIS PART REALLY INTRIGED ME like damn, I actually heard this from some other user is it actually a true feat? Sounds too good to be true. o_o
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-322677-the-mask-vs-any-marvel-superhero.html

IDK if this is wank or not but I feel like if I wear the mask for example, I would beat 1-As or even Tier 0s because I can. Either that or this person is just power wanking the Mask or that NLF rule.

And to quote on said person " BTW, in The hunt for green october issue 3, The Mask gave his reason for not owning the entire universe...

"Thered be no one too play with! And uhh... Im kinda lazy?" "

Back