• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Greatest Servant in FGO vs The Most Powerful Servant lore wise (Merlin vs Gilgamesh)

To be fair, it's really hard to tell. Jim's text looks like it's been google-translated three times over.

On a more related note, logically speaking, Gilgamesh wins. But since this is Merli, the same guy who artificially gave himself Independent Manifestation, a skill unique only to Beasts of Calamity and an avatar of Akasha itself, just because he felt like it, I feel like he should be given more leeway.

First things first, Ea. This is important since even Gilgamesh has to acknowledge Merlin. Then again, Independent Manifestation and 1-C Immortality.

Merlin isn't divine so Enkidu isn't doing anything. Harpe and Gae Buidhe could potentially incapacitate. Gae Dearg and Rule Breaker would destroy Merlin's defenses but unless Gil has magic-nulling shields, he isn't going to stop a beam spam. Base Gil is also weak to surprise attacks, since SNI is restricted. Merlin's clairvoyance, however, is not.

Gil does have some level of passive Clairvoyance even with SNI restricted. He should definitely realise Merlin isn't human and possibly a powerful spirit.

Voting inconclusive.

Gil's always going to be the strongest and he's not up against an underdog, but one of the greatest magi to ever live. He'll be serious enough that I highly doubt Merlin's ever going to win, but no matter how hard Gil tries, he's never going to win either. Merlin isn't divine so Enkidu's useless against B rank STR and Merlin should be capable of unsummoning himself and coming back at full capacity.

Personally, if Gil doesn't have a win con against Merlin then to me this goes pretty much like the Saint Celestine match

They both fight for a long ass time before Merlin eventually uses Holy sword and one shots Gil

So what stops this?

Wait Gilgamesh isn't Bloodlusted and Merlin is serious? Then what on earth permits that he uses EA or any other hax techniques when he refused to use them on Shirou.

Veloxt1r0kore said:
That's what i call PIS.
PIS is when a character gets downplayed by the author himself and shows weaker power from what he actually is like, like Hulk struggling against normal Gorilla's, this here is CIS i.e his character prevents him from going all out

Merlin and Shirou are hardly equivalent. Shirou is a human, Merlin is half-Incubus. Shirou is a shit tier magus, Merlin is up there with Solomon. Shirou is a teenage faker which Gil refused to acknowledge until he got his arm lopped off and was nearly cut in two, Merlin is a legendary figure whose reputation alone deserves some respect, even from Gil.

Gil versus any random Servant = talks down to them, drops a shit ton of weapons on them.

Gil versus Shirou = talks down to him, n armor, lets him have a convo with Saber, shoots a few weapons at a time, turns away and focuses on the Grail instead, waits for Shirou to recover before lazily throwing a few more weapons.

The only thing Gil does in both situations is talk down to the opponent (his default mode). He will take one look at Merlin and realise he isn't even human (HS human, not human human) and take it more seriously than his usual fights. If passive hax weapons get used against the likes of Shirou Saber, they are definitely getting used on Merlin.

Even Base Gil uses SNI to a limited degree. He figured out Archer's identity right away, deciphered Shirou's magecraft on sight, checked Arturia's virginity and realized that both Illya and Sakura were lesser grails as soon as he saw them. Something as simple as a person's species should be something Gilgamesh realizes immediately.

Even assuming he doesn't decide to use it out of a lack of interest, as soon as he sees Merlin bring out Excalibur and sees that he isn't King Arthur, he'll check right away with SNI if he hasn't already found out on his own.

Excalibur is also the only sword that he has no problem immediately bringing out Ea for which just give us a repeat of the Fate route.

I'm not disagreeing with you but I think it would be harder than the other things you mentioned. SNI lets Gil look at all timelines so how would someone's species be the first thing he finds? That would be something only known from seeing Merlin's parents or a timeline where Merlin or someone else tells Gil Merlin's heritage. Where as the other things are pretty easy to identify. Incon fra

SNI's base ability is standard clairvoyance and learning the optimal move for any situation. Full power SNI is the seeing through various timelines.

Well then yeah, considering that Merlin is very old, seeing that Saber was never a non virgin or that Shirou became Archer or that Sakura and Illya became grails would be less time to look through.

Gil knows that Merlin isn't human he even says so in his interlude.

"Well, the famous one would be that magus with the mixed blood of incubi. Merlin, the Mage of Flowers. If his power to hear words is real, even he would see past the obsession with this Greater Grail."

And because both of them have super clairvoyance they will recognize each other even if they haven't met in person.

It's just way too evenly matched, but man, this is a first for me seeing a Fate Servant face off on equal grounds with Gil-kun in a vs thread and forcing it to Incon.

Back