• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Dragonball galaxies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Does anybody remember from where the statement about the Dragonball universe having 4 galaxies (not quadrants, galaxies) originally came from?

Any posts that do not stick to the topic, and try to diverge the discussion, will be deleted.

The Living World is also called the Present World. To be frank, it means the vast universe. This universe is divided into four galaxies; other than that, it is known that there is a chaotic place called the Devil Realm somewhere in the universe. The sections known as the East-West-North-South Galaxies only utilize Kami as administration units, and the lifeforms who reside in the Living World are able to freely travel the galaxies. Of course, that is supposing they have the technology... Incidentally, Earth, where SON Gokuu and his friends live, exists in the North Galaxy. The North Galaxy seems to have some of the most beautiful planets.

From this

All right. Thank you for the help.

this seems legit but somehow it doesn't really convince me. i think there're some inconsistencies in Daizenshuu. Daizenshuu stated this: Úèǵ▓│ Galaxy A gathering of local planets in the universe. Planets gather and form a nebula, and beyond that, a collection of gathered nebulae is called a galaxy. The four Kaiou who rule over the east, west, south, and north [sections] of the universe actually govern these galaxies. Because the Kami in the Heavenly Realm and the Kaiou supervise the galaxies that exist infinitely in all the universe, the sections known as the East, West, South, and North Galaxies are denominations that came into use through their duty.

in the same guide book of Daizenshuu, it's said to be 4 galaxies? talk about contradictions,

Isn't Daizenshuu a secondary canon source?

I think we shouldn't believe it yet until the author himself confirm it(though this magazine has came out long time ago).

Im honestly not sure about anything the official dragonball encyclopedia states 4 galaxies:http://magikarp46.com/dragonball/guidebooks/07-worldview.php

But then they imply that there are more than 4 by stating this: Within the universe, there are "nebulae" composed of innumerable stars, and there are "galaxies" composed of innumerable nebulae.

However there are way more hints at it being 4 galaxies tho:

-There is a ruling Kami for each galaxy. Earth resides in the Solar System, a galactic nebula on the outskirts of the North Galaxy.

-
Grand Kai is considerably stronger than the other Kais, and is known to be the greatest fighter in the four galaxies. However, he is not as strong as Pikkon or Goku due to having neglected his training.

-North quadrant looking exactly like a galaxy http://www.abload.de/img/galaxybusterelb9t.gif

-
The Living World is also called the Present World. To be frank, it means the vast universe. This universe is divided into four galaxies; other than that, it is known that there is a chaotic place called the Devil Realm somewhere in the universe. The sections known as the East-West-North-South Galaxies only utilize Kami as administration units, and the lifeforms who reside in the Living World are able to freely travel the galaxies.

Well, if they have been officially described as galaxies, there seems to be no rational point to doing so without them actually being galaxies. If they had consistently been described as quadrants comprised of galaxies, that had been another matter entirely.

The page DarkLK linked and DeezNuts pasted should clarify the whole thing. LK's post showed the actual format the Galaxies lie in, and further down that page shows the meaning of all the terms that were used above [Galaxies are simple demoninations referring to the quadrants of the Universe] in DeezNuts post. It's not an inconsistency, it's a clarification.

Is the dainzenshuu credible or reliable? It looks like the databook from Naruto which is full of hyperboles and contradictory statements. Has Akira himself mentioned anything about 4 galaxy? If not I don't see any reason why we should take the daizenshuu documents as facts.

Well in those terms, it doesn't claim that DBZ characters are Universal and what not like the Naruto books. But it is still the Official guide/encyclopedia for Dragonball, but here we take it as secondary canon whereas the Manga is the primary. In this case, the Manga does not go into detail about how the DB Universe is structured, so the Daizenshuu is a good source that clarifies certain info that is left out.

I am not saying daizenshuu is fanfic, however does seem absurd the way they describe DBZ verse, which only has 4 galaxies. The observable universe alone contains a hundred billion galaxies, and there are plenty more which we can't detect. Their definition of universe is really silly, even a sixth grader knows better. Their lack of knowledge on the universe makes me question their credibility as whole. 4 quadrants would make more sense.

I'm sure the mods would understand how ridiculous 4 galaxy sounds. 4 is almost nothing compared to 100 billion

It makes no sense for the DBZ Universe to only be 4 galaxies. Unless the 4 galaxies are exstremely large and infinitly expanding in all directions.

Exactly, it makes absolutely zero sense. It contradicts the definition of galaxy itself. I doubt daizneshuu even knows what galaxies are, which does put their credibility in question. Not to mention their map of DBZverse is horribly out of scale

Yeah, I'm saying that the 4 Galaxies IS absurd...

But I was also saying that the Daizenshuu clarifies that Galaxies are just demoniations of the real term which are "Sections" or "Quadrants" of the Universe.

If that's the case (the denomination) then it's okay. Otherwise we shouldn't take the daizenshuu map of dbz seriously. It contradicts the definition of galaxy and seems like the map was made by people with little knowledge of astronomy and physics. I personally don't find them credible at all if they indeed mean 4 galaxy for the whole DBZverse. Their map also out of scale

We should wait for canon source and not take unreliable stuff into consideration which contradicts basic astrophysics.

Joseph619 said:
We should wait for canon source and not take unreliable stuff into consideration which contradicts basic astrophysics.
You mean from the manga/anime itself? You'll probably be waiting a long time. Toriyama doesn't usually delve into this type of thing in his series, hence that it gets left to guidebooks instead.

Frankly, I'm confused as to why we're having this discussion. I would have thought the Daizenshuu made it clear enough that the term "galaxy" is merely a denomination, especially after it went through the process of describing the universe of Dragon Ball as if it were structured much like our own.

Unclechairman said:
Joseph619 said:
You mean from the manga/anime itself? You'll probably be waiting a long time. Toriyama doesn't usually delve into this type of thing in his series, hence that it gets left to guidebooks instead.
Frankly, I'm confused as to why we're having this discussion. I would have thought the Daizenshuu made it clear enough that the term "galaxy" is merely a denomination, especially after it went through the process of describing the universe of Dragon Ball as if it were structured much like our own.
Most people would take the galaxy terms literally, which would suggest DB universe is unfathomably tiny compared to real universe. Seeing how the daizenshuu map is horribly out of scale (some of the planets would be hundreds of millions lightyears in radius), the four galaxy also seems dubious. In the DBS anime DBverse looks much like our own universe, and it looks nothing like the one in Daizenshuu where planets are around 1/50th the size of the universe itself.

If i remember correctly in the same Daizenshuu book it's stated that the DB universe is "based on the actual universe"

Hmm. I am not convinced.

The map of the Dragonball world clearly shows it to be a fairy tale setting with interconnected realms of heaven, hell, the god realms etcetera, contained within a bubble that does not at all look like a universe.

If this is the official description of the Dragon Ball world, and it explicitly states that there are 4 galaxies in Dragon Ball, then we cannot ignore it out of subjective personal preference/bias that the DB world "should" automatically be the same as our own, when it very clearly is not remotely depicted as such.

It is a fairy tale shounen title originally intended for children. It does not need to follow the laws of physics or build upon our own astronomical structure, within our own universe.

Until DBS or other sources explicitly state that there are more than 4 galaxies in Dragon Ball, or that the South, West, North, and East galaxies contain several of them, we cannot simply overlook this description for our personal convenience.

You do have a point. No, we are not, in case they are contradicted. However, if this map of the Dragon Ball world was drawn by Akira Toriyama, or created on his behalf, we should probably accept it as canon. If it was just by some random animator with no real say on how the DB universe should look, we should probably not.

I still find it far fetched for it to only be 4 galaxies (though given what were currently seeing in the DBS manga I feel were going to find out for certain its not just 4 galaxies soon. Either that or the're simply much larger than your standard galaxy). Also should we consider how fast the Kai's can create planets? Doesn't Buu have a galaxy kill under his belt, meaning the universe is now down to 3 galaxies. And that's not even including Beerus and all of his destruction lol.

The Buu gradual galaxy destruction feat was in the anime, not the manga continuity.

Micah007123 said:
I still find it far fetched for it to only be 4 galaxies (though given what were currently seeing in the DBS manga I feel were going to find out for certain its not just 4 galaxies soon. Either that or the're simply much larger than your standard galaxy). Also should we consider how fast the Kai's can create planets? Doesn't Buu have a galaxy kill under his belt, meaning the universe is now down to 3 galaxies. And that's not even including Beerus and all of his destruction lol.
No Buu only busted a galaxy (Over time a short time but over time none the less) In the anime

as much as i remember ,toei requested toriyama to creat a mapp of db univers for the other world tournament arc(which is a filler ),the first time the map was seen was here
UniverseOnFinger.png

i might be wrong tho

Hmm. There were problems accessing that image without modifying the link. Here is a functioning link for anybody who is interested.

i highly doubt that dbz only has 4 galaxies, even if it's true then db galaxies are much larger than our real galaxies. A real life nebula contains cloud of dust, hydrogen, helium,ect while in db universe, a nebula contains innumerable stars and planets probably billions and a galaxy also contains those innumberable of nebulas. Although in our milky way, there're only 400 nebulas that has been discovered.

Theorectically, a galaxy in dragonball = a lot of small galaxies combined. This could also upgrade Whis's speed into a higher level of MFTL+, crossing through a galaxy that contains billions of nebulas in just 27 mins is absurd

Can you provide references for your claims about DB nebulas containing innumerable stars, and galaxies containing innumerable nebulas? As for Whis, I think that the calculation was made from what was actually seen of his surroundings, not assumptions about travelling through a whole galaxy.

uhmm...it was from Daizenshuu guide book:" Within the universe, there are "nebulae" composed of innumerable stars, and there are "galaxies" composed of innumerable nebulae."

Okay. Sorry. There is a lot of stuff constantly going on for me to keep track of in this wiki, so it is hard to remember everything.

In my honest opinion the daizenshuu map of dbz looks like a mess. You guys surely have noticed how big the earth is on that map right? There is no way we could take it literally, otherwise earth would be millions of lightyears across in radius. That clearly contradicts with manga and anime depiction of earth in dragon ball. This is a MAJOR contradiction I tell you

All right, but I am sure that the DBS anime will eventually clarify the matter.

Thank you. That does help. So, if I understood this correctly, it seems like Toriyama himself drew the map of the Dragon Ball universe, and that the confusion originally stems from that Japanese uses no plural, so the west, south, north, and east denominations could originally either have referred to single galaxies or several within each direction. However, the guidebooks later explicitly refer to single galaxies, and the anime dub mistranslated this as sectors. Jowever, the original instance is left unclear. Is that roughly correctly understood?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back