• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The DBZ Speeds...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm fine with using DBZ Kai's timeframe, but the argument of cinematic timing is an entirely legit one. This is especially true for Dragon Ball, where blasts DRASTICALLY vary in speed depending on the tone or pacing of the scene (unless that one mountain Piccolo blew up was farther away from them than the moon).

Regardless, that's not what I currently have reservations with. It's the use of a summary from the back of volume 8 to multiply Goku's speed, though Tom is currently digging up some info on that.

Azathoth the Abyssal Idiot said:
I'm fine with using DBZ Kai's timeframe, but the argument of cinematic timing is an entirely legit one. This is especially true for Dragon Ball, where blasts DRASTICALLY vary in speed depending on the tone or pacing of the scene (unless that one mountain Piccolo blew up was farther away from them than the moon.
Regardless, that's not what I currently have reservations with. It's the use of a summary from the back of volume 8 to multiply Goku's speed, though Tom is currently digging up some info on that.
welp, in dbz the time during battle is always seen to be stretched out....

So basically... he took my idea... and placed pretty words around it... Hm... what does that sound like?

Please stop yelling and cursing Davy. It is very inappropriate behaviour.

The Living Tribunal1 said:
welp, in dbz the time during battle is always seen to be stretched out....
"Only five minutes left until Namek explodes!"
which is exactly what i said, the actual time always seems to be stretched out as in hours pass on screen, while 5 minutes of actual time passes....

so using that logic, the time frame is at least 4 seconds, instead of exactly 4 seconds (when cinematic timing as not taken into account) so cinematic timing to real time logic makes it faster (lol)

either way, in my reasoning, its gotta be 4 seconds (using the time relation makes it a smaller time interval)

Hmmmm... well so far it seems as though Sheoth, SwordSlayer99 and Unclechairman agree with using Cinematic time.

On the other hand we have at least DontTalk, Lord Kavpeny and Illuminati478 who disagree or at least disagreed with using Cinematic time.

I'm pretty sure Antvasmia is still neutral on this and I'm gonna be neutral on this as well for a bit...

@Azathoth the Abyssal Idiot: Well so far from what I found it seems that it would either be the head editor or Akira who wrote that I don't know how much this helps however...

@Davy0: Bro it's technically The Living Tribunal1's idea as he's the person that's been suggesting using cinematic time from the beginning...

which is exactly what i said, the actual time always seems to be stretched out as in hours pass on screen, while 5 minutes of actual time passes....
I am agreeing with you. I was giving the most famous example.

I am agreeing with you. I was giving the most famous example.
cool nice (thumbs up icon- writing the text cuz idk how to actually put it here)

Well, this is a rather controversial issue. On the one hand, it would be far more convenient to use cinematic time when no apparent time distortion is going on, and we have no other more reliable means to gauge the time spent. On the other, it is not certain that we could accurately gauge whether it is distorted or not.

Maybe we could use it on a case-by-case basis?

@Cross: We can still use the timeframe of 17.84 seconds and it would be more preferred as that was attained from the manga while the 4 seconds is from the anime.

Manga is still considered the main form of canon while Kai is secondary canon from what we've set out.

But then again manga timeframe has it's own faults...

@Davy0: You always have a retort huh....

@The Living Tribunal1: Interesting...

the other method is based on the assumption that the rocks fallen below came from piccolo's ascend when in fact gohan was blowing rocks all over tehe place as well, causing turmoil i the region, so i'd say that calculation holds a faaar greater likelyhood of being inaccurate

Also, Davy, please stop disturbing the thread. Different users keep complaining about that you get special treatment. You will have to keep your impulses in check.

@Schutzendunkelziel Well, since DB Super is built upon the DB Kai continuity, we have based the other statistics on this anime series, not the manga.

They are in check, not like I'm being evil... ANYWAY!.

FTL DB characters. You could just make them Relative instead, right? We could even meet in the middle. 8.5 seconds.

@Antvasima: Really now from what I remember Kai was still considered as secondary canon from the first thread made by Lord Kavpeny regarding DBZ stats but oh well...

@The living Trubunal1: Like I said before this calc went though checking for quite some time and I seriously doubt OBD wouldn't consider that but then again there's a possibility that they didn't so....

Alright then well so far it seems that those who agree with using cinematic time from among the staff are Sheoth, SwordSlayer99, Unclechairman, CrossverseCrisis (I'll count ya in here) and perhaps Azathoth the Abyssal Idiot (I'm not sure about you Azathoth do ya agree or disagree), perhaps me (I still don't know yet)

Those who don't agree are DontTalk, Lord Kavpeny and Illuminati478 who disagree or at least disagreed with using Cinematic time.

Neutral: Perhaps Me, Antvasima...

SchutzenDunkelZiel1217 said:
@Antvasima: Really now from what I remember Kai was still considered as secondary canon from the first thread made by Lord Kavpeny regarding DBZ stats but oh well...
@The living Trubunal1: Like I said before this calc went though checking for quite some time and I seriously doubt OBD wouldn't consider that but then again there's a possibility that they didn't so....

Alright then well so far it seems that those who agree with using cinematic time from among the staff are Sheoth, SwordSlayer99, Unclechairman, CrossverseCrisis (I'll count ya in here) and perhaps Azathoth the Abyssal Idiot (I'm not sure about you Azathoth do ya agree or disagree), perhaps me (I still don't know yet)

Those who don't agree are DontTalk, Lord Kavpeny and Illuminati478 who disagree or at least disagreed with using Cinematic time.

Neutral: Perhaps Me, Antvasima...
there was a clear flaw- which i pointed out- and no one mentioned- now idk why that happened at all, but it was very clear from my view

>choas was going on, millions of tonnes of debris flying around

> piccolo rises up with some debrid

>all that debris is in a complex path

seeing all of this, it is faaaar more likely that the debris came from gohan and not piccolo

GTgokussj4 said:
Any timeframe would work for me once they are getting a upgrade but i didn't expect this.
Lol if that is accepted (though I 99.9% doubt it) then the gap would even more less riculous regarding speed

@The Living Tribunal1: Again I seriously doubt anyone wouldn't consider it or mention it but I'll go check the comments on that again if I don't find anything I guess I'll support using Cinematic time and perhaps get a few more supporters for it among the staff...

@Schutzen

Kai is 100% secondary to the manga. Yes, we use it, but only if it's not contradicted. That's what makes this a more difficult case. Anyway, I'm still pretty neutral on the subject.

Hmm. I thought that it overwrote the old manga continuity?

@Azathoth the Abyssal Idiot: Alright then. Those who agreefrom among the staff are Sheoth, SwordSlayer99, Unclechairman, CrossverseCrisis and perhaps me (I still don't know yet)

Those who don't agree are DontTalk, Lord Kavpeny and Illuminati478

Neutral: Perhaps Me, Antvasima, Azathoth the Abyssal Idiot...

Btw it would seem as though the volume summary was written by either the head editor or Akira I'll post this again just in case you didn't see it...

@Antvasima: As far as I know it didn't but it was announce as being canon to the manga so I'm guessing we use it for certain things but so far it's regarded as secondary canon by most...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back