• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The commoners thread: Discussing Ultima's "On the Many, Many Incoherences of the Tiering System"

While my personal opinion still leans against this revision, I think it sucks that content/thread/calc mods aren't counted, so I'll move my vote to align with their general will; the agree column.

FROFHgnWUAM6yU0.jpg

The moment the tiering system changes and the verse gets downgraded we going to see an ultimate monad thing in SCP guaranteed 🤣

Can you show me a statement from every SCP writer saying that they don't care about scaling?
Do you also want me to grab statements from writers that have died, quit the internet, or just left writing SCP in general?

Or are you keeping to the far-more-reasonable request of getting personal assurances from all 1000 active writers that they don't care about power scaling?

As much as I don't like some of the higher tier SCPs for mostly being wanked for the sake of being wanked (looking at you 682) acting like every SCP writer cares about powerscaling isn't accurate. The wiki having a shit ton of them isn't because it's the majority, it's just because those are the ones people wanted to make profiles for, some cause they're high tier but that's besides the point

Blackcurrant has asked Ultima directly and Ultima said yes from what he recalled of the cosmology

If anything we get upgraded since the Low 1-A layer we have for the Warp would just be bumped to a full 1-A
For real I'm very surprised the Warp isn't 1-A+ or even High 1-A.

The moment the tiering system changes and the verse gets downgraded we going to see an ultimate monad thing in SCP guaranteed 🤣
Probably.

Do you also want me to grab statements from writers that have died, quit the internet, or just left writing SCP in general?

Or are you keeping to the far-more-reasonable request of getting personal assurances from all 1000 active writers that they don't care about power scaling?
The latter, if you can show me that there aren't any SCP writers that don't do power scaling then you got me there.

If this is supposed to be the case, precise evidence is needed for this. Where's it?
Why are you treating this like a debate/CRT? This is a casual talk about a verse I haven't battleboarded in 4 years.

If you actually want to approach it this way, to make sure I'm not wasting my time, what "precise evidence" would you want for a claim like that?

Probably.
If an average internet person tried to write one, it would get hacked off the site in less than a day. I cannot stress this enough, but though SCP has a few dozen Tier 1 and 0 profiles here, such characters are absolutely the exception to the rule. The vast majority of the over 7000 SCPs are weaker than modern IRL human technology. The SCP site has very high quality control standards, and you could probably count the authors skilled and reputable enough to write such powerful stuff on two hands. Also, even if a reputable author tried to write one there, PlaceholderMcD's meta-gimmick of making every canon a "mega-universe" is bound to ruin it.

If an average internet person tried to write one, it would get hacked off the site in less than a day.

The SCP site has very high quality control standards, and you could probably count the authors skilled and reputable enough to write such powerful stuff on two hands.
Generally, but sometimes hot garbage like this slips through, and stays up.
The Creator had countless aspects, avatars, incarnations, and manifestations across all of the infinite layers of existence, innumerable layers of nonexistence, and the numberless layers of transcendent reality beyond the conceptual duality and distinction between existence and nonexistence.
This was not some renowned user. It was this author's first contribution to the site. Their two other attempts in a similar vein were quickly downvoted and deleted, and never left the draft stage, respectively.

Will an SCP that's treated like a monad happen? Possibly. Will it be soon? Most likely no. There'd have to be something more to it than just "oh this is a monad look at how cool it is". It'd have to be at least semi-original and on top of that people have to actually like it enough for our whole like-system to let it be usable.

Will an SCP that's treated like a monad happen? Possibly. Will it be soon? Most likely no. There'd have to be something more to it than just "oh this is a monad look at how cool it is". It'd have to be at least semi-original and on top of that people have to actually like it enough for our whole like-system to let it be usable.
Maybe, if the SCP writers don't write something stronger than it.

To be replaced by:
  1. Your verse doesn't have things beyond time and space!
  2. Your verse doesn't have R>F!
  3. Your verse doesn't have platonic concepts!
  4. Your verse doesn't have jungian archetypes!
  5. Your verse doesn't have divine simplicity!
  6. Your verse doesn't have apophatic theology!
  7. Your verse doesn't have omnipotence!
Type IV multiverses are still going to be Low 1-A, btw, so that'll get thrown around a lot too.

As far as I can tell, there will not be more proof to reach high tiers. Ultima is vastly loosening the burden of proof for being beyond dimensions, allowing R>F to automatically jump to beyond dimensions, and allowing multiple philosophical concepts that we didn't previously tier to reach tier 0.

I am very confident that there will be more 1-A and High 1-A characters, and think there will be more tier 0 verses, but not characters, due to SCP getting screwed over by the monad requirement.
How will the concept of "omnipotence" be treated as fundamental? Also, will beings that are beyond space-time, that are currently tier 1, will they be directly 1-A in this system? Ultima had a list for that and almost all of the characters were at least 1-A or higher, but I don't know more details

How will the concept of "omnipotence" be treated as fundamental? Also, will beings that are beyond space-time, that are currently tier 1, will they be directly 1-A in this system? Ultima had a list for that and almost all of the characters were at least 1-A or higher, but I don't know more details
Assuming you're referring to BDE type 2, nah it's not automatically 1-A, that's just good supporting evidence for that under his system. Though, like Ultima said iirc, most stories that already have evidence for BDE type 2 accidentally write it in a way that works for 1-A also.

How will the concept of "omnipotence" be treated as fundamental?
I don't know what you mean by this.
Also, will beings that are beyond space-time, that are currently tier 1, will they be directly 1-A in this system?
Characters that have BDE Type 2 (and actually qualify; Ultima found that a fair few don't) will be Low 1-A at minimum. If they also have indications of being more real, as most would, they'd be 1-A.

I don't know what you mean by this.
I mean, if a character in a series is called "omnipotent", does that character scale minimum to Low 1-A or higher? How will the wiki handle this?
Characters that have BDE Type 2 (and actually qualify; Ultima found that a fair few don't) will be Low 1-A at minimum. If they also have indications of being more real, as most would, they'd be 1-A.
Wow, in this system, be tier 1 and also being beyond/transcends the space-time... 1-A seems a little easy in the new system.:unsure:

Assuming you're referring to BDE type 2, nah it's not automatically 1-A, that's just good supporting evidence for that under his system. Though, like Ultima said iirc, most stories that already have evidence for BDE type 2 accidentally write it in a way that works for 1-A also.
So you are saying that besides the BDE type 2 statements, they also have a few things that go to 1-A or Low 1-A.

So you are saying that besides the BDE type 2 statements, they also have a few things that go to 1-A or Low 1-A.
Yeah iirc Ultima initially had BDE type 2 as one of the ways to get into 1-A but then it changed so BDE type 2 is just a good piece of evidence but you need an ontological difference also I think

I mean, if a character in a series is called "omnipotent", does that character scale minimum to Low 1-A or higher? How will the wiki handle this?
We haven't really talked about this yet, since we're saving omnipotence for a later thread. It sounds like the answer is "no", but as that will be an easy-to-misinterpret fundamental part of our highest tier, I still expect to see wank like that on other sites.
Wow, in this system, be tier 1 and also being beyond/transcends the space-time... 1-A seems a little easy in the new system.:unsure:
You don't really need to be tier 1 in other ways. You could be tier 2 under the current system, and still make it there that way.
Yeah iirc Ultima initially had BDE type 2 as one of the ways to get into 1-A but then it changed so BDE type 2 is just a good piece of evidence but you need an ontological difference also I think
BDE Type 2 will get to Low 1-A. It's now intended as the tier for all sets in ZFC/Type IV multiverses/BDE-2.

We haven't really talked about this yet, since we're saving omnipotence for a later thread. It sounds like the answer is "no", but as that will be an easy-to-misinterpret fundamental part of our highest tier, I still expect to see wank like that on other sites.
I see.
You don't really need to be tier 1 in other ways. You could be tier 2 under the current system, and still make it there that way.
But Ultima said that in order to have BDE type 2, you must first be tier 1 in this system, because you must be ontologically above to the space-time.

There would have to be proof for a character to be omnipotent rather than just a name-drop, even if said character was omnipotent you would then have to prove what is possible for them to do, that's just my understanding and take on the topic. Also there are limits to omnipotent characters, they are just the peak of their verse at the end of the day.

But Ultima said that in order to have BDE type 2, you must first be tier 1 in this system, because you must be ontologically above to the space-time.
Hm, I was just thinking about cases I've seen of R>F being rated at tier 2. So I assumed that something similar would still bump up to (Low) 1-A.

If the thing the character is ontologically superior to is vague (i.e. is maybe just a finite amount of space), characters with ontological differences can just be tier 2.

no wtf
it will be even more harder to get 1-A now
I don't think so, it seems to have gotten easier, but the requirements and details of things like BDE, R>F and "omnipotence" will be discussed in another thread, maybe they can make the requirements stricter and more difficult there. I don't know, I may have spoken too soon.

I don't think so, it seems to have gotten easier, but the requirements and details of things like BDE, R>F and "omnipotence" will be discussed in another thread, maybe they can make the requirements stricter and more difficult there. I don't know, I may have spoken too soon.
it will not be easier or harder, just a different metric.

Back