• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The commoners thread: Discussing Ultima's "On the Many, Many Incoherences of the Tiering System"

tier 0 i s an end point because it exceeds all possible logical frameworks of the tiers below , which ultimas new proposed tier 1-A and H1-A do. You cant have a tier that exceeds all possible frameworks be in the same level as tiers within those frameworks. each tier has a common theme. tier 1 being the tier of higher infinities and cardinals, and tier 2 being the tier of universal structures
1-C and 1-B are the tiers for higher infinities and cardinals. 1-A is the tier for metaphysical transcendences; Tier 0 is just a catchall category for anything metaphysical that's too big to be defined in 1-A.

1-C and 1-B are the tiers for higher infinities and cardinals. 1-A is the tier for metaphysical transcendences; Tier 0 is just a catchall category for anything metaphysical that's too big to be defined in 1-A.
Tier 1-A according to the currently tiering system, says nothing about metaphysicality, but directly mentions cardinals. Ultima's new tier is metaphysical in nature and therefore would be a great fit for the existing tier 0, with some modifications

Tier 1-A according to the currently tiering system, says nothing about metaphysicality, but directly mentions cardinals. Ultima's new tier is metaphysical in nature and therefore would be a great fit for the existing tier 0, with some modifications
The whole point of Ultima's new revision is to knock anything cardinal-related to High 1-B+ because the number of characters in 1-A because of cardinals is so small compared to the number there for metaphysical transcendences that there's no point in having a distinct 1-X tier for them.

What would be the tiers?

Low 1-A -> one higher layer
1-A -> 2+ higher layers
High 1-A -> infinite layers
In short:
  1. High 1-B+: More than infinite dimensions.
  2. Low 1-A: One metaphysical jump.
  3. 1-A: 2 or any higher finite number of metaphysical jumps.
  4. 1-A+: Infinite metaphysical jumps.
  5. High 1-A: A metaphysical jump that transcends the logical foundations behind any possible extension of conventional metaphysical jumps.
  6. 0: Metaphysical jumps that transcend the logical structures behind High 1-A.

The whole point of the tiers counting down from 11 instead of up from 0 is to allow Tier 0 to serve as an "endpoint" tier, and an "endpoint" tier having subcategories defeats the whole purpose of it existing.

I don’t agree with splitting tier 0, but I do agree with adding more tiers and making 0 even “harder” to reach.

My biggest suggestion is to split High 1-A somehow to make it more defined.

The whole point of the tiers counting down from 11 instead of up from 0 is to allow Tier 0 to serve as an "endpoint" tier, and an "endpoint" tier having subcategories defeats the whole purpose of it existing.
tier 0 i s an end point because it exceeds all possible logical frameworks of the tiers below , which ultimas new proposed tier 1-A and H1-A do. You cant have a tier that exceeds all possible frameworks be in the same level as a tier within them

What exactly does this mean when metaphysical jumps are inherently illogical.
They are inherently illogical in the same way that something being beyond dimensions entirely is illogical. It makes no sense in the real world, but fiction doesn't recognize that, so we have to accommodate for it as a fictional indexing site.

They are inherently illogical in the same way that something being beyond dimensions entirely is illogical. It makes no sense in the real world, but fiction doesn't recognize that, so we have to accommodate for it as a fictional indexing site.

Illogical in the real world isn't the problem. We can make sense out of illogical things by giving them definitions. What you suggested is that there could be metaphysical jumps that have a value greater than +1. It's impossible to assign an objective scale to the quality of metaphysics.

Even if a story is like, "you can stack an infinite amount of narrative layers and you will won't even reach this level" whatever that level is, is still going to be just +1 above infinite layers.

probably aleph1 - infinite amount of jumps?
Sure, but I wouldn't describe that as being beyond any possible extensions of a conventional metaphysical jump.

Illogical in the real world isn't the problem. We can make sense out of illogical things by giving them definitions. What you suggested is that there could be metaphysical jumps that have a value greater than +1. It's impossible to assign an objective scale to the quality of metaphysics.

Even if a story is like, "you can stack an infinite amount of narrative layers and you will won't even reach this level" whatever that level is, is still going to be just +1 above infinite layers.
No, it would not. This runs contrary to fundamental principles on this site about how transcending infinite hierarchies works.

No, it would not. This runs contrary to fundamental principles on this site about how transcending infinite hierarchies works.
Transcending infinite hierarchies was paired with dimensionality. What Ultima proposes throws the fundamental principles away and has to make new ones.

Ultima's whole point was that Qualitive superior layers are not quantitative, they are qualitative. You cannot compare layers in anyway other than higher, equal, or lower. How does a fictional story create something that beyond that?

Transcending infinite hierarchies was paired with dimensionality. What Ultima proposes throws the fundamental principles away and has to make new ones.

Ultima's whole point was that Qualitive superior layers are not quantitative, they are qualitative. You cannot compare layers in anyway other than higher, equal, or lower. How does a fictional story create something that beyond that?
That a set of layers is qualitative doesn't mean one "cannot compare layers in anyway other than higher, equal, or lower" in the slightest. Some qualitative layers provide bigger jumps than others.

Me reading all of this after 1 hour of sleep:
reading-monkey.gif

Just look at the marvel cosmology page. It ends in a way that the entire cosmology explained in the blog until the last topic is just a small part of a higher version of the same cosmological tree, with the highest realm of the first tree being just the very basis of the second tree.
And how do you quantify how many jumps each of those “layers” are?

Is Ultima even going to have a Low 1-A tier? Even now, I find that to be quite the pointless tier. But in that system, it'd be even more pointless.

💀

Pretty massive W by Ultima on the thread just now, by the way.

Is Ultima even going to have a Low 1-A tier? Even now, I find that to be quite the pointless tier. But in that system, it'd be even more pointless.

💀

Pretty massive W by Ultima on the thread just now, by the way.
Low 1-A may just be this new "High 1-B+" he mentioned or something

By looking at how the verse portrays them.
Okay but all verses are going to portray qualitive superiority in a unique and unquantifiable way that cannot he quantitively compared to other fictions. All these jumps are just going to equalized to +1.

There is no such thing as an objectively bigger qualitative jump.

Okay but all verses are going to portray qualitive superiority in a unique and unquantifiable way that cannot he quantitively compared to other fictions. All these jumps are just going to equalized to +1.

There is no such thing as an objectively bigger qualitative jump.
Just like there's no objective way to compare magic systems between verses. If that's your complaint, you have a problem with fundamental Verse Equalization site standards.

This isn’t a fair comparison because we don’t give tiers based on the quality of the magic system.
By default, all qualitative jumps are assumed to be the same. If a verse portrays certain qualitative jumps as superior to others, they scale above the baseline for qualitative jumps.

I'm happy that R>F is being tackled officially.

Though, I do have a question concerning it. Specifically about Author Avatars. Under the proposed tiering system: How would you tier those whose abilities is equal / comparable to the abilities Real Life Humans (Us for instance) have over their Fictions ?

The reason I ask is because certain verses (official and OC) tackled this in certain ways so I wanted to ask to be certain

I'm happy that R>F is being tackled officially.

Though, I do have a question concerning it. Specifically about Author Avatars. Under the proposed tiering system: How would you tier those whose abilities is equal / comparable to the abilities Real Life Humans (Us for instance) have over their Fictions ?

The reason I ask is because certain verses (official and OC) tackled this in certain ways so I wanted to ask to be certain
Probably still 1-A, as the degree of power is irrelevant from what I understand. Like, higher beings who literally cannot even interact with a R>F below them would still be 1-A.

I mean, think of CM.
We are naturally superior to them in nature, as they are literal fiction to us, even though their written feats would VASTLY exceed what humans can do.

We could also have a High 1-B structure in a book, but then a layer above that is only 3D.
From my understanding, "dimensions" are more complex in nature in higher layers.

High 1-B is completely inferior on a lower level of reality than a 3D one on a higher layer on a narrative level...like again, compare fiction with High 1-B things to us; weak 3D beings...we are still superior in nature.

By default, all qualitative jumps are assumed to be the same. If a verse portrays certain qualitative jumps as superior to others, they scale above the baseline for qualitative jumps.
How many verses actually do that? It sounds like we will just be deciding which qualitive jump is superior which is going to be arbitrary because there is nothing quantitative or logical about qualitative jumps.

How many verses actually do that? It sounds like we will just be deciding which qualitive jump is superior which is going to be arbitrary because there is nothing quantitative or logical about qualitative jumps.
One, a lot. Two, there's nothing logical about them, but fiction doesn't understand that, so we have to accommodate.

Suppose you have two realms. Realm A and Realm B. Realm A is a universe much like ours, while Realm B is a transcendental place that has pretty much all of the properties we'd expect of something that fits the bill for "qualitative superiority." That is to say: Realm A is described as infinitely less than Realm B. To Realm B and its inhabitants, Realm A is literally a fiction, an illusion, something completely impotent, and nothing happening in Realm A can ever be of any consequence to Realm B because of this.

However, there's a catch: For all their infinite superiority over Realm A, the beings of Realm B can't really interact with it in any way. They can interact with each other, but not with lower realms or beings.

To me, Realm B would be Tier 1, without question. To you, though, it seems like Realm B wouldn't be able to be compared to Realm A because of its lack of ability to interact with it. Ergo, it seems that "superiority" to you hinges on the amount of control that the higher thing is able to exert over the lower. While, in my eyes, that doesn't matter in the slightest.

So beings from Realm B, cannot create, affect, or destroy realm A, but they're somehow superior to it doesn't make sense.

There are scientific hypotheses that state that if parallel universes exist, we wouldn't be able to interact with them at all or even know that they exist. How is that relationship any different from Realm B and Realm A. Will I suddenly be Low 1-C if view these hypothetical parallel worlds as fiction?

I mean there's nothing logical about dimensional tiering either, so. It's just the approach we took to index things that don't actually correlate to anything in reality.
higher infinities do exist in fiction, the problem is equating them to dimensions with no other context ( im pretty sure the wiki has rules against that anyway)

I don't really get why SAO was brought up in the thread.

SAO is a virtual reality that is taken as being the "reality," but it also isn't like... a fictional thing. It's a virtual reality, which still based in neurons in the brain along with electrical impulses in technology, transistors, and whatnot, which would be 10-C, not tier 11.

It's case is a bit similar to Animation VS Animator, which used to be 10-C for being based in a computer's data, but was then reality equalized to being the baseline level of reality, which is why they were upgraded, I believe.

So I would say SAO is a pretty bad example, honestly.

Back