• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Terrarian Downgrade

I’ve always been told it we used the hardest, so I’ll make a thread on that right now. That actually does have some effect of Terraria if this downgrade is rejected because the Terrarian’s regen gets worse and worse in higher difficulties (like the Terrarian’s regeneration rate is changed to be slower and slower the higher the difficulty).
i am pretty sure that the regen get better

Wait I just remembered Terrarian doesn’t have an auto defualt difficulty.

The game give you a list and none of the difficulties are auto selected, so we run into a problem of Terraria not having a default difficulty.

Well one is call normal mode, but loads of the Terrarian’s equipment can only be received in expert mode. Master mode literally doesn’t give you anything so there’s that.

Real quick is staff required to close threads. Most people on the difficulty thread are agreeing that the lower difficulties usually take priority and while the explosives part is really jarring to me, I can see why everyone is saying that should be the outlier (I know it may have seemed I was really pushing for the downgrades but I just wanted to make sure I said all my thoughts and a thread I’ve been meaning to make for a while was finally made due to this so there’s that).

They can close threads once they’re concluded. This one still seems to be up in the air, unless we all agree on using Expert mode for scaling.

This is an old thread but since I do actually want to make my own upgrades and ability revisions whenever I beat Master Mode, I might as well tackle this outright

For one thing, no difficulty is inherently the most canon from my understanding

For two all of this is game mechanics never acknowledged by the lore, in spite of the fact that the Terrarian being several Quintillions of times weaker even at the absolute peak of his abilities being a massive deal

And that inofitself being grossly misrepresentative of how the game plays out to begin with

Yes, he does take heavy damage from bosses but save specific enrage mechanics, he is absolutely able to take a hit from them and damage them in turn. A 8-B wouldn't in a million years be able to harm a 5-C without durability negation.

The idea that the entire story of the game where you're supposed to go on a quest to beat the Moon Lord by increasing your overall power is "plot convenience" is a ludicrous idea and I cannot support it.

“I do actually want to make my own upgrades”

You want to make an upgrade thread? I’m very interested in what is going to be upgraded (I mean I’m happy since I like Terraria, I just get very pessimistic about it’s stats on this site sometimes due to the massive downgrade that happen a long time ago). Though I just want to say the bosses doing massive damage isn’t the reason I made this thread. Them killing you nigh instantly was just support for my main problem: I.E the 8-B feat they scale to instantly kills the Terrarian all the way up to nigh end game. And the bombs (which I’ve calced to be very low end 8-B) can also heavily damage the Terrarian for the entire game. The demolitist even has dialogue saying it can blow the Terrarian’s arm off. Also the Terrarian does have a weapon or two that can negate durability, and in canon they fought someone who can instantly kill them (The EoL), so it’s not impossible to say he just negated the Moonlord’s durability and kill him that way.

Also on the thread I made about canon difficulties it ended with leaning towards the hardest difficulty, and while most people said ‘case by case’ nobody actually defined what those cases would be so the only clear answer I got what the hardest difficulty.

The explosives are what's inconsistent here, plain and simple. It's pretty common for mundane weapons to do unreasonably high damage in spite of far higher feats across fiction, Terraria just has that problem to a somewhat greater degree than most due to how weird damage scaling is.

The Empress of Light only oneshots during daytime, and even then, their durability doesn't increase. I'm pretty sure rage mode is game mechanics anyways, but, even if it wasn't, Empress primarily uses blast attacks that wouldn't apply Newton's law, so there's no reason for her AP to scale to dura in that case.

There are plenty of weapons the Terrarian can use to ignore defenses, the most notable example being Ichor dramatically reducing it, but primarily his stuff surrounds just dealing massive damage through sheer brute force, and armor reduction just assists that. It doesn't hardcarry him to the point he can kill people Quintillions of times stronger than him.

As per my upgrade thread... The jist right now is conceptual soul gang, High 5-A Moon Lord, maybe 5-C Wall of Flesh

That's a lot to just drop but I don't want to elaborate until the time comes where the thread's actually made. I should be arguing when I'm ready and all.

I actually made a thread to downgrade rage mode a bit. I don’t believe it should scale to the very end game Terrarian since that means she would one shot the moon lord (It also downgrades Skeletron and DG), and she died in canon before the Terrarian even reached end game. But I believe she should still be able to one shot the Terrarian around the time he fought her.

I know her durability doesn’t increase. That doesn’t matter, what matters is that she can instantly kill the Terrarian so he had to perfect dodge her to win. Since some of her equipment only drips during the day I believe the Terrarian is at least implied to be able to defeat her at that time.

Though if people just agree that the damage scaling for the explosives is just weird I’m fine with that. I just personally fine it a bit jarring.

Yeah Skeletron's rage is definitely game mechanics.

You have to go out of your way to fight Empress during daytime by design. The thing you have to kill to spawn her only shows up at night in the hallow, and you can only get her to spawn if you catch it in a net, wait until day and then fight her. There's no reason to just assume the Terrarian just went "ayy lmao Terraprisma"

Heck, there isn't really even much of a canon to how Terraria plays out to begin with. Progression is pretty open ended across the board and the only lore that ties the game's events together would be the few pages of stuff the devs gave for the 9th anniversary and the beastiary. That's it... And also apparently a comic book exists and it still baffles me but even just reading the cover I feel like it's quite liberal with the source material, so, I'm going to have to get back to you on that one.

That's just fiction in general, buddy.

I don’t think the Terraria comic is even canon. Do you want me to link you the thread I made about the rage mode of the bosses? On an somewhat unrelated note is the 5-C wall of flesh based off it being as large as hell. I remember for some reason during the original downgrade we used an old 2013 trailer for Terraria for the WoF’s size and it was only three flesh towers wide in that trailer.

I already saw it trying to dig up Assalt's thread from a few years back and I didn't comment on it cause I agreed

No, it's not size related. Wall of Flesh seals off the ancient spirits of light and darkness that would normally let everything go into Hardmode. This includes causing solar eclipses at random.

We used to rate the mechanical bosses off of preventing that, but ultimately them stopping it doesn't have any real justification, unlike the Wall of Flesh straight up being stated to be a seal so

Back