• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Terrarian Downgrade

Note this effects nobody in the verse but the Terrarian.

Currently the Terrarian scales the bosses, materials, and enemies in the game because they can all constantly survive or are straight up invincible to the 8-B explosives. However, as strange as this sounds, I believe the Terrarian shouldn’t scale to anything else in the game.

The Terrarian only starts to be able to survive the explosives at the very end of the game and even with post moonlord equipment he is still practically dead after being hit by these explosives. The regular bombs (which aren’t calculated yet but they blow up around 1/3 the amount of tungsten as the explosives) can easily kill the player throughout the entire game and are have a statement from the demolition of being able to easily blow up the Terrarian’s arm.
So the Terrarian already is casually obliterated by the thing that the bosses scale to, but there’s another issue. The bosses all easily stomp the Terrarian. The King slime can 6 hit the very end game Terrarian and it takes him hundreds of hits to kill it, and in master mode (last I checked we assume the hardest difficulty is the canon difficulty) any boss from the mechanic bosses and beyond all one shot the end game Terrarian and take multiple minutes to kill even with end game equipment. So the Terrarian only wins due to chip damage which I need to explain right now. Pretty much on this site we acknowledge that chip damage is moronic, a regular human can’t break a brick wall via just repeatedly punching it forever, your hand would just break. However after talking with one of my friends and going around and asking random people most people, for some reason, believe it is totally possible to break a brick wall by just punching it repeatedly until it just suddenly gives way.

This is how Terraria as a game treats all of its boss fights. You slowly poke away at the boss doing barely any damage to them till it suddenly just dies.

So the fact that feat the bosses scale to instantly kills the Terrarian, the bosses can all either plow straight through the Terrarian or instantly kill him, and that he only wins through chip damage, makes me believe the Terrarian shouldn’t scale to any of the bosses in the game.
The Terrarian also shouldn’t scale to any of the material he mines because while the materials can face tank the 8-B explosives, the Terrarian wearing these materials as armor instantly dies to these explosives.

So I believe the Terrarian should have 4 keys:

9-A (I know the beginning game Terrarian is currently 9-B, but I’ve calculated the fragmentation of the tungsten blocks to be 9-A and we already need to get the regular bombs calculated anyways) | whatever tier the bombs get | possibly up scaling to whatever the bombs get for Hardmode | 8-B for the end game scaling directly to the explosives.

A note on the Terrarian’s profile should say the Terrarian winning against any of the bosses is game mechanic and plot convenience.

Two things: some people will probably say “why isn’t the 8-B feat just an outlier for everyone”, it isn’t because 90% of enemies, literally every boss, and any material post beginning game all can consistently survive or face tank these explosives. 95% of the enemies can also easily survive the regular bombs and these should be comparable to the 8-B explosives as they can blow up similar amounts of tungsten.

The second thing is I feel like people are just going to look at this and say “no” (I don’t mean that in a rude way, like I think them saying that is justified).

To be fair people have told me I don’t understand how this site treats outliers so I could just be horrible misunderstanding how they work, but I just find it really jarring the Terrarian scale to stuff that consistently either instantly kill him, nigh instantly kills him, or plows straight through him.

... so you are using things that contradict literally anything else and can be considered game mechanics

I using the fact that the bosses all completely bulldoze the Terrarian and take practically zero damage from anything that isn’t the very end game equipment, along with the fact the feat everyone scales to instantly obliterates the Terrarian with zero chance of survival for majority of the game.

If the Terrarian killed the bosses in a few hits and could tank there attacks I would say the explosives kill him is the outlier, but he doesn’t. Everything that scales to the explosives easily stomps the Terrarian.

I using the fact that the bosses all completely bulldoze the Terrarian and take practically zero damage from anything that isn’t the very end game equipment, along with the fact the feat everyone scales to instantly obliterates the Terrarian with zero chance of survival for majority of the game.

If the Terrarian killed the bosses in a few hits and could tank there attacks I would say the explosives kill him is the outlier, but he doesn’t. Everything that scales to the explosives easily stomps the Terrarian.
yeah... no normally boss are far stronger in game with that logic bowser should be far far stronger that mario because he is able to 3 shot him in the best cases

Except Mario has at least dozens of cutscenes were he effortlessly overpowers Bowser. Plus Mario in plenty of the games can take dozens of hits from bowser without much difficulty.

Meanwhile in Terraria the feat that the bosses scale to vaporizes the Terrarian and every boss, mechanical bosses and up, can instantly kill the Terrarian in a single hit. Along with the Terrarian barely doing chip damage to them.

Are we sure that it isn't his durability being weak as shit? He could very well be a glass cannon, and it seems really weird to assume that literally every boss fight is game mechanics because of the simple fact he dies to explosions and shit.

Except Mario has at least dozens of cutscenes were he effortlessly overpowers Bowser. Plus Mario in plenty of the games can take dozens of hits from bowser without much difficulty.

Meanwhile in Terraria the feat that the bosses scale to vaporizes the Terrarian and every boss, mechanical bosses and up, can instantly kill the Terrarian in a single hit. Along with the Terrarian barely doing chip damage to them.
he can defeat bosses it wouldnt make sense if the bosses would be able to just 4 shoot him in the best cases soo.. yeah using in game scaling doesnt make any sense

The Terrarian can easily survive plenty of there own attacks until very end game weapons, and even then they only kill him so fast due to their DPS.

The Terrarian doesn’t just get plow through by these bosses, he also can only slightly chip away at their health. The max damage the Terrarian can do to the very first bosses still require hundreds of hits until it dies. And that’s assuming the Terrarian is using the bombs the demolition shows can easily blow you up.

The Terrarian can easily survive plenty of there own attacks until very end game weapons, and even then they only kill him so fast due to their DPS.

The Terrarian doesn’t just get plow through by these bosses, he also can only slightly chip away at their health. The Max damage the Terrarian can do to the very first bosses still require hundreds of hits until it dies. And that’s assuming the Terrarian is using the bombs the demolition shows can easily blow you up.
you are still using in game scaling also they posted why using in game scaling is stupid and can lead too jancky scaling

By this logic, we can have 4-A Goomba's since in most games, they one-shot mario. This is clearly game mechanics
Once again Mario is a terrible example, he constantly stomps people that can destroy literally every goomba in existence combined.

The Terrarian straight up instantly dies to the feat the bosses scale to and it takes him hundreds of hits to win against even the weakest boss.

Once again Mario is a terrible example, he constantly stomps people that can destroy literally every goomba in existence combined.

The Terrarian straight up instantly dies to the feat the bosses scale to and it takes him hundreds of hits to win against even the weakest boss.
because is IN game mechanic that are not valid

This can be applied to literally almost all games.
The only game I can think of that requires you to hit bosses a similar amount of times as Terraria is MH and I also think the Hunter has a crap ton of anti feats against them scaling to majority of the monsters.

it takes him hundreds of hits to win against even the weakest boss.

...no? Stuff like the Zenith or Last Prism disposes the Pre-HM bosses rather easily, and also does the trick for the early hardmode bosses. Everything else, it takes a bit longer, but still.

The only game I can think of that requires you to hit bosses a similar amount of times as Terraria is MH and I also think the Hunter has a crap ton of anti feats against them scaling to majority of the monsters.
-Legend of Zelda
-Most RPG games
-Mario Bros (It takes like dozens of fireballs to defeat bowser)
-Kirby
-Smash Bros just to name a few

The main basis of your argument is literally game mechanics. The Terrarian can fight the boss, and tank their attacks. Its as simple as that. If they went down in like 10 hits there would be like no challenge.

you dont understand that the wiki doesnt use in game scalling unless there are heavy evidence
Terraria is entirely a gameplay based game. There isn’t a single cutscene in it and the lore never goes into how the Terrarian fought any of the bosses.

I didn’t even mean to say the Terrarian betting the bosses is a gameplay mechanic, I more believe it’s a leap of logic on the creators part, for the reason I said in the op. People think chip damage works in real life, it doesn’t, but people believe it does. So the Terrarian beats these bosses due to flawed logic, not a gameplay mechanic.

Terraria is entirely a gameplay based game. There isn’t a single cutscene in it and the lore never goes into how the Terrarian fought any of the bosses.

I didn’t even mean to say the Terrarian betting the bosses is a gameplay mechanic, I more believe it’s a leap of logic on the creators part, for the reason I said in the op. People think chip damage works in real life, it doesn’t, but people believe it does. So the Terrarian beats these bosses due to flawed logic, not a gameplay mechanic.
i am pretty sure that the comic goes into that

I remember being told that a long time ago, but that was years ago.
Then that set ups a problem. I have no idea where this shit came from, and depending on what difficulty we choose as canon, then this entire thread might be pointless.

For all we know, the journey mode could be the canon one here. We really need a thread to base which terraria's difficulty is canon, and which difficulty should be assumed to be canon in games where there are only gameplay, no story.

-Legend of Zelda
-Most RPG games
-Mario Bros (It takes like dozens of fireballs to defeat bowser)
-Kirby
-Smash Bros

The main basis of your argument is literally game mechanics. The Terrarian can fight the boss, and tank their attacks. Its as simple as that. If they went down in like 10 hits there would be like no challenge.
LoZ you only need to hit the bosses at max a dozen times and that’s being generous. I’ve never had to hit bosses in Smash bros any near the amount of times you have to wail on a Terraria boss, especially in master mode. The first boss has hundreds of hp while the max damage non explosives do is 7 to 10 damage.

I never remember needing to hit bowser dozens of times to win, but that doesn’t matter because Mario has cutscenes to show him stomping Bowser into the floor. LoZ has cutscenes to show Link stabbing Ganon easily, smash bros currently doesn’t scale to any of the final bosses and they never should.

yeah no that doesnt work sadly example minecraft the wither can stomp a steve who doesnt have to much skill but steve still scales to him

There’s a difference between the player standing there and letting themselves die versus the bosses instantly killing the player no matter what armor or health they have (also The player scaling to the wither has a canon statement in the mobstiary)

The default difficulty is whatever is basically “auto selected” when you start the game.

Like, you wouldn’t use APOCALYPTIC for Dark Souls 1 scaling, it’s the highest difficulty you can use. You would use “normal”.

There is no default difficulty

I also feel like the default difficulty should be the obvious option here, not the highest difficulty.
I’ve always been told it we used the hardest, so I’ll make a thread on that right now. That actually does have some effect of Terraria if this downgrade is rejected because the Terrarian’s regen gets worse and worse in higher difficulties (like the Terrarian’s regeneration rate is changed to be slower and slower the higher the difficulty).

Back