• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Terraria Speed Revision

I've never been good with introductions. Plus the topic of speed always makes me incredibly nervous despite how little this site actually uses it, so I'll just cut to my points.

Currently the Terrarian's meteorite feat isn't considered illegitimate due to the meteors being magic and spawning near the users. However we have multiple verses that scale to meteorites despite the meteors doing the exact same thing. In Bloodborne the Meteors do arcane damage and can be spawned from underneath bosses like Rom. DnD also has characters scale off Melf's Minute Meteors and those meteors are magic and spawn near the user. Other series have summoned lightning that is both magic and appears near the user (DnD and I believe Fire emblem). We also count those as legitimate.

The Terrarian's meteor staff is also made out of a regular meteor. It was a rock that fell from space and that regular meteor has magical properties so I don't think the Terrarian's meteors being magic should discredit them because the regular meteor in the world of Terraria is shown to be magical.

On another note I have made two new speed calculations for Terrarian that both get similar results to the original meteor calculation.

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/User_blog:Keeweed/Some_Terraria_speed_feats

Finally the calc we currently scale the Terrarian to isn't even properly calculated. In speed calculations you need to have both things being compared on the screen at the same time (in this case the bullets and the bosses), yet our current calc doesn't do that so if the upgrade is rejected the bullet calc would still need to be redone.

Note if this is accepted I don't think we should go back to using the old kinetic energy calc for the King Slime as the explosives can hurt him and I believe we are supposed to use ap feats over kinetic energy calcs.

Isn't the main reason why the meteors aren't legitimately that fast is because we can actually see how quickly the meteors are moving on screen? We have a distance; we have a timeframe. Why can't we just get the value of the meteor's speed that way instead of assuming it?

@Livinmeme

Fallen Stars fall to the ground around the same speed the Terrarian flies to space so they would get similar results to the Terrarian flying to space. Plus they spawn randomly so getting enough footage to properly calc it would be way too much work for such little pay off.

However I did find a mount that can make the full trip to space faster than the UFO. I guess I could try to get footage real quick.

Edit: Nevermind the drill made it to space at the same time the ufo did.

Damage3245 said:
Isn't the main reason why the meteors aren't legitimately that fast is because we can actually see how quickly the meteors are moving on screen? We have a distance; we have a timeframe. Why can't we just get the value of the meteor's speed that way instead of assuming it?
I remember them being rejected due to being magic.

You can say the same thing for Bloodborne's meteors yet we count those as legitimate. Plus it's a lose lose scenario because either the meteorites pass the screen instantly thus the Terrarian couldn't be compared to them or the meteorites are very slow and thus don't count.

I'm honestly fine with treating them as very slow meteors for both if need be.

We also know the exact distance to space in the Terraria world, so I don't know why we would need to use 100 kilometers.

because that would lead to the Terraria planet being like less than 10 kilometers in radius , which is dumb

I hope I don't come off as rude or dismissive by saying this.

However I believe Terraria's map being as small as it is, is a game mechanic. The backgrounds already show that Terraria goes over the horizon and there are multiple different mountain ranges and both of those would be far larger than what's in game. Terraria has already had a history with the game crashing repeatedly on trying to create a new worlds and there isn't a reason to assume Terraria's atmosphere is over a hundred times smaller than Earth's when the other celestial bodies seen in game are normal in size.

Finally there is only two things in the Terraria space biome and that's dragons for souls of flight and the Martian event. Having the sky be 5 times higher than the rest of the map when you only put two things up there is terrible game design and it would only be there to prove something that doesn't need to be proved, that the space biome is space.

Overlord775 said:
because that would lead to the Terraria planet being like less than 10 kilometers in radius , which is dumb
What's wrong with that? It's not our world; the way it is set up can be totally different to real-life.

All the other celestial bodies in the game are normal size and the backgrounds of Terraria have the island go on for miles with out end. I've already seen people complain that Terraria's map is too large (I can find the video if necessary) and that was on a medium size world. Plus it's pointless to have the in game map be as large as the area would be in real life because they already have the backgrounds to show Terraria is large and they have space behave like real life space.

Nobody is arguing that the game map has to be as big as the real world for the Terraria world to be considered Earthlike. I'm just saying that fictional planets don't have strictly adhere to real-world logic if they're not shown to.

Case in point; being able to reach space extremely quickly only a few hundred meters away.

"Nobody is arguing that the game map has to be as big as the real world for the Terraria world to be considered Earthlike.

Case in point; being able to reach space extremely quickly only a few hundred meters away."

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your argument but this seems like a contradiction to me. It doesn't have to be as large as the Real Life Earth in game to prove its Earth, but it isn't Earth sized because it's smaller than Earth.

Once again I'm sorry if I'm misunderstanding the argument.

Okay; let me try and put it another way.

A fictional planet that appears on the surface to be normal can be considered to be Earthlike without us having to see that the entire planet is as big as Earth.

But if a fictional planet has contradictory shows to being like Earth, such as the characters getting the center of the planet by digging a kilometers down, or the characters reacting space after flying at supersonic speeds for a couple of minutes, then there is evidence suggesting that the assumption that the world is exactly like Earth is not a reasonable assumption to make.

Basically, contradictory evidence exists, so we can't just assume without reason that the world is exactly like Earth.

Damage3245 said:
What's wrong with that? It's not our world; the way it is set up can be totally different to real-life.
This is terribly hypocrite of you knowing what you did before.

Don't push absurd double standards please.

Terraria is shown to be like a normal planet however based off the backgrounds and the behavior of the space biome. Also all the other celestial objects are the same size. The in game is smaller but that's because it would literally break the game to have it be the real life size. Terraria is already famous for chugging computer memory. I would know because my game has crashed like 80 times in the past month due to it. Making the map of Terrarian 100km up when you only have two things up there to begin with is ridiculous, especially since a game that would be of similar size if we took that route, Dagger Fall is famous for being practically unplayable due to how long it takes to cross such a massive distance. Also that game was auto generated while Terrarian is completely made when you make the map and even with a map (DaggerFall) hundreds of kilometers in size it still ended up with the TES being the size of a small moon if you based the world of that game (compared the rest of the world map to the area DaggerFall took place in).

It would also break the game balancing since the wings would need to fly vastly higher to accommodate the vastly higher sky which means you would be able to fly underground for practically forever. It would break the wings mechanics since all of them would fly for longer than you would normally need them to, underground exploration since you could fly over everything, and most boss fights since you wouldn't need to land to give the bosses a chance to catch up with you. And you would do all of that to prove something that doesn't need to be proved. The space biome is stated to be space and the backgrounds show Terraria is a regular planet having it be gigantic in game has zero purpose.

I'd also like to add that in lighting storm the Terrarian can somewhat react to cloud to ground lightning, and since lightning moves at 380,000 m/s meaning his reactions should be MHS+

I just looked it up to make sure; there isn't lightning storms in base Terraria, there is only lightning in mods. Also apparently the forum transfer is happening soon so comments on CTR threads from today until the transfer won't be saved so I believe we have to wait until the transfer before this thread can continue.

Keeweed said:
I just looked it up to make sure; there isn't lightning storms in base Terraria, there is only lightning in mods. Also apparently the forum transfer is happening soon so comments on CTR threads from today until the transfer won't be saved so I believe we have to wait until the transfer before this thread can continue.
Thats what i get for playing calamity, I'm rusty on vanilla terrain mechanics

Quick Note: Terraria's world in-lore is considered a planet but not a planet. The martians kind of solidify that it is a planet, but the official lore sends it down the drain.

Official Terraria lore states that Terraria's worlds are sentient beings created by The Gods, and that the Crimson, Corruption, and Hallow are basically immune systems.

Starting to stray off-topic, but will we ever implement the Terraria lore? I know the forum move is coming up, but I'd be willing to discuss this with anybody if they wanted. There's a lot of CRT-worthy content in-lore.

Terraria's world being a living being doesn't say anything about its size though (probably not your point but I don't want people to jump onto that and say it's proof of a tiny Terraria planet). Also the lore also states around the same time all the other world were made around the same time and we can see all the other celestial bodies are the same size they should be so the world we play on being randomly the size of a big asteroid or small moon when a regular moon orbits it doesn't make any sense.

When it comes to the lore we'll need to wait to talk about that due to the forum transfer however the Moon Lord stuff about destroying the fabric of reality was rejected due to it really not being a feat without more context (I just reread the text 'world in the lore flips between referring to the universe and the planet the game takes place on multiple times so it is pretty vague). However the gods that made Terraria (if I'm remembering the lore right I'll reread it once more) probably should get a profile once the forums are transferred.

Hm. Interesting. We don't need to implement this until after the forum transfer, but I'd be willing to discuss this via MW or Discord, if you're up to.

You can find me at 0%#3752 or simply at my MW if you'd like to discuss in general, but other than that, I think official CRTs should wait until post-forum transfer, like you said.

Can somebody summarise the conclusions here please?

There isn't a conclusion yet. I was going to wait until the forum transfer to continue this thread.

Okay, I shall lock the thread for now and it can resume post-forum transfer.

It is best to leave this thread open and just stop to reply in that case, but we still have until April 14, so I don't know if it is necessary.

Back