• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Super Mario Odyssey Discussion

I haven't found any feats I think are worth talking about (Mario surviving huge falls won't really add to his durability) but I have found some possible new abilities. This will contain spoiler though....

In the Sand Kingdom, Bowser steal the Binding Band to use on Peach. It may just look like a fancy, huge wedding ring, but Cappy mentions it has the ability to beind people's fate so they are together forever... So possibly Bowser gets fate manipulation with Binding Band.

However, even without the Binding Band, Bowser has shown some new powers... in the very same kingdom, after you defeat Hariet, the Inverted Pyramid raises, and the desert turns from day to night. I can't remember if it was stated or implied, but I remember this been shown somehow to be Bowser's doing... not sure what ability turning day to night would be though...

Now onto the Metro Kingdom. As soon as you head off there, we are told that New Donk City was erected by the use of a Power Moon! Can't remember if one of many, but still, they have to potential to be city level artifacts.

Does this matter? Well, we see that the source of urban power, both from dialogue and visuals, is a LOAD of Power Moons. Like loads! Seriously, give us some! Well... Mecha Wiggler was absorbing the city's power during its seige. Whether we see one Power Moon or several as creating New Donk City, seeing how many Power Moon's empower the city, Mecha Wiggler should be city level due to the power it absorbed, not to mention it possesses a Multi Moon. Mecha Wiggler also has cool powers, like portal creation, and being able to create balls of energy.

Also, talking of the seige on NDC, Mario can go back there if he wishes by capturing a certain taxi... This... kind of seems like time travel to me, so perhaps "Taxi Mario" has time travel abilities?

That's all I can remember for now though... hopefully it helps out though!

LuckyEmile said:
However, even without the Binding Band, Bowser has shown some new powers... in the very same kingdom, after you defeat Hariet, the Inverted Pyramid raises, and the desert turns from day to night. I can't remember if it was stated or implied, but I remember this been shown somehow to be Bowser's doing... not sure what ability turning day to night would be though...
Depending on how he did it, if he just used TK or something to move the moon and sun, it could be a 4-C/4-B feat. I like how many characters seem to be able to just breathe on the moon. Even a Yoshi and Goombas were shown during the Darker Side Kingdom, so they can breathe in space.

Perhaps, we should make a profile for Cappy, as that would also make giving the capture abilites (because it seems like there would be many) easier, as it would be confusing in Mario's profile because of the amount he has already.

EDIT: However, what would his stats be? Do we know enough about him to make a profile that isn't just unknowns and loads of abilities?

TheHadouCyberspaceWitch said:
Depending on how he did it, if he just used TK or something to move the moon and sun, it could be a 4-C/4-B feat. I like how many characters seem to be able to just breathe on the moon. Even a Yoshi and Goombas were shown during the Darker Side Kingdom, so they can breathe in space.
Well... I think it just changed... I can't remember how it happened, but I don't think he moved the sun and moon... Maybe he did? Not sure if it would go towards feats or not, but... it's likely an ability.

And yeah, breathing in space isn't too much of a surprise. Goombas and Yoshi have been in space before anyway.

Bowser night
Here is a screenshot implying this was Bowser's doing. It changes to night as soon as you collect the Multi-Moon after beating Hariet.

LuckyEmile said:
Perhaps, we should make a profile for Cappy, as that would also make giving the capture abilites (because it seems like there would be many) easier, as it would be confusing in Mario's profile because of the amount he has already.

EDIT: However, what would his stats be? Do we know enough about him to make a profile that isn't just unknowns and loads of abilities?
I just think Mario should get Cappy's captures on his page, similar to Kirby and copy abilities.

Super Mario Odyssey, while being IMO the greatest Mario game ever made, is one of the worst feats wise. Especially since the story itself (not "game mechanics") has Mario and Peach being unable to survive a collapsing cave and needing Bowser's help to break through it. Of course that'd just be PIS/low end outlier.

One of the only notable feat AP wise I can think of is Bowser taming a building sized dragon who was implied to have laid waste to an entire kingdom. With Mario defeating said dragon.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Power Moon didn't magically poof an entire city into existence. Rather the city's contruction and the way it functions was reliant on the power source of one.

Powers and abilities wise there's the ones Emile has mentioned.

Overall while amazing game, nothing too much to write home about as far as VS debating goes. Besides some power adds nothing would change for the profiles.

Odyssey actually portrays Bowser as being considerably above Mario. He defeats Mario in the cutscene. In the end he's needed to break through the cave Mario can't. He can one shot rocks Mario can't scratch. He can eventually break those moon rocks which Mario again can never scratch. And Mario only beats Bowser in the game by using Bowser's own weapon against him.

To be fair isn't that half-consistent? There aren't a lot of games where Bowser can be beaten just by punching him afaik.

>And Mario only beats Bowser in the game by using Bowser's own weapon against him.

It is literally the only way you beat him in every other Mario game that isn't the RPGs. For me that isn't much of a news flash imho.

@Saikou Yeah Mario often has to outsmart him or use tricks. Depends on the game. I remember DRB mentioned some games where Mario is treated as being stronger. But I'd say a lot of the time Bowser is stronger with Mario being at least somewhat comparable, but using his quick thinking to close the gap.

@Ari Mario physically beat up Bowser in Super Mario Galaxy 1. Granted after he got weakened with lava lol. But yeah there are some games like the RPGs or some people that often say Mario is equal or much stronger than Bowser, so I thought that was worth noting.

Ryukama said:
One of the only notable feat AP wise I can think of is Bowser taming a building sized dragon who was implied to have laid waste to an entire kingdom. With Mario defeating said dragon.
Oh yeah, that's a good point. That sure was a huge surprise to see too. Due to the Bowser emblem on that.... helmet(?), I somewhat thought it was mind control, but I'm not too sure. And yeah, you're probably right about those feats. Didn't it also defeat some powerful swordsman with a lightning sword or something like that too?

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Power Moon didn't magically poof an entire city into existence. Rather the city's contruction and the way it functions was reliant on the power source of one.

Hmm, we're not too sure, I'll post a screenshot
Moon Kingdom
of the statement. Due to an identical building to one from NDC appearing on the Moon, implied to be made by a lunarian civilisation, this could further cement the idea the Power Moons (indeed, it was plural) created it, but I guess we can't say for absolute sure. Also, since this links to Mecha Wiggler, I recently found in a rematch that there are two of them, which can function as something akin to a superorganism to overcome their weakness, which is both cool and terrifying.
Powers and abilities wise there's the ones Emile has mentioned.

I did miss quite a few, I just labelled the ones that stood out to me the most. If you'd like, I could make a blog/thread labelling all the powers and abilities I could find (with explanations for some) to help us get them all.

I did miss quite a few, I just labelled the ones that stood out to me the most. If you'd like, I could make a blog/thread labelling all the powers and abilities I could find (with explanations for some) to help us get them all.
This, I would appreciate.

I already wrote a draft, there are tons! I might make two blogs, because dealing with the Capture abilities is quite messy, and are not the only powers and abilities in the game.

"It seems it was built using the energy from Power Moons"

I think it's far more likely that this statement means that the Power Moons were a power source to help construct the city rather than a Power Moon magically poofing an entire city into existence out of nowhere. But that's just my opinion.

Possibly, I'm not too sure on that, but that building on the Moon kind of shifts me towards that view... Would having a large number of Power Moons power a city, then having the power absorbed count towards city level regardless though?
NDC power 2
In other news: Part 1 of the Powers and Abilities Blog.

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/User_blog:LuckyEmile/Mario_Odyssey_Powers_and_Abilities_Part_1

EDIT: for the part 2 blog (covering Capture abilities) should I cover all notable abilities, or leave out ones that overlap with Mario's existing powers? (i.e. The frog has "enhanced jumping abilities", but Mario does too. The fire brother can throw fireballs, which is nothing new for Mario). Or should I include all for if they do indeed end up going to Cappy?

TheHadouCyberspaceWitch said:
Include all of it, we may end up giving them to both.
Okay, got it. I just have to tidy up my notes because of how messy they are. I might also need some help clarifying what each ability is formally known as before posting too, just to be sure.

To be honest the Power Moons are probably just a power source like solar energy. That seems to be the much more reasonable assumption and really nothing supports the latter.

Not that it does anything to change his tier so it doesn't matter.

Gotcha. I guess it was woth brining it up, anyway.

I am a little curious though. The Shirms (those tanks you can capture) can shoot bullets, which although being quite slow by bullet standards, can one-shot other Shirms, taxis and break down dirt walls. I'm wondering what attack potency this would be (assuming we don't need to calculate it). For the Mecha Wiggler profile I made on my wiki (link in Part 1 blog), I put it as street level, but I wasn't too sure...

EDIT: It was mentioned on MW profile because you fight it as Shirm.

I'd expect the tank shots to be 9-B or 9-A.

I found an ability for Mario.

Here it is.

The invisibility hat, a possible reference to the Vanish Cap from Mario 64, and one of the few caps that actually does anything. This hat is gotten after gaining the Multi-Moon at Darker Side. Unlike the Vanish Cap, it has no time limit, and makes Mario completely invisible with no weird transparent remnants of Mario to set any doubts about the invisibility. So:

Mario simply dons the cap and gets unlimited invisibility for however long he wants.

Well there's technically still a shadow and the hat becomes visible when it gets thrown. But besides that it's a much better form of invisibility.

Oh yeah, that's a good point. But is it Mario doing it, or Cappy? (since, as covered in Blog 1, Cappy is responsible for changing clothes, and thus could be responsible for making Mario invisible).

But yeah, I totally forgot about that, nice find.

EDIT: Wait, didn't Bowser freeze over Tostarena?

Oh darn, wow! Hmm, well... it shouldn't be too hard, considering the game tells you the temperature of Tostarena, and we know ice can only exists at or under 0'C. But, it's the inbetween that's scary.

Hmm... I wouldn't be able to measure it, it would take too long, but it's really big! I'd perhaps predicts a kilometre across, but that's likely inaccurate.

Back