• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Super Mario Odyssey Discussion

Well, talking of volcanic explosions, Odyssey had one of those too.

And... we could measure Tostarena, but I'd have no idea where to starts... It's a bit too big and not enough reference points.

Hmm... Usually when people make calcs involving measurements in Mario games, they compare his height to whatever they're measuring. But I forget how tall, canonically, he is.

I know his height, but the problem is that this isn't measuring the height of something, but the length and width. Whilst I trust Mario Odyssey on this, previous Mario games have proven weird for this... I did a calculation for Mario Land 2, and the height dimensions and width dimensions didn't add up... Hopefully this isn't the case in Odyssey, but even then...

I mean, not to mention we're measuring an entire level, the one that is closest to open-world at that!

EDIT: Well, assuming no obstacles (such as the town, the area surrounding the tower, holes in the ground, cacti, etc) don't get in the way, we could maybe measure it if we find Mario walking speed in the game and timing how long it takes him to walk from one end of Tostarena to the other (both for length and width). Then it's a simple s = vt calculation to find the distance... But this is of course assuming he isn't going to have an obstacle in his way.

Oh... I see... well then that's going to be really tricky... well, we'll assume it's a prism maybe?

Since we can find two dimensions "easy" using the above method (although that could be tricky), and other than the hills, towers, etc, it is essentially a prism shape...

I figured it would be. This might be a lot harder than I thought it would be. I'll try to look into the size, myself.

Edit: Who would this even scale to? Is this even entirely relevant? If so, we can get the calc group to try and do it, requesting it on that one calc thread.

Hmm, I guess Bowser's hax? So... not really anyone would scale, I guess... If it's going towards attack potency... since the major cast scale to SM64 Wiggler, who is Large Star level and likely Multi-Solar System level , I don't think freezing part of desert will make much of a difference either...

Generally... it's probably just something nice to know, perhaps in case there is ever a downgrade?

Well, most of the cast scale to the power stars, not just Wiggler. But I doubt we'll be downgrade, especially for Bowser. He has Low 2-C and 2-B variants.

Yeah, probably... but you never know. I guess for now it would just be like... ice manipualtion or something. Maybe temperature manipulation too, as Mario can clear be seen to be cold when the average temperature of the Sand Kingdom is 40 degrees!

(also, sure they scale to the Power Stars, but only because Mario vs Wiggler, so that's why I see them scaling to Wiggler)

And yeah, Ice Manipulation sounds fine. I don't think Temperature Manipulation exists, here. If Mario is cold, the temperature must be much colder than 0 degrees if Mario was cold.

Exactly, which is why I brought it up. I guess it would be "can change the temperature of vast environments", I suppose, then.

EDIT: Guess I'll have to add it to the blog actually, so all the powers and abilities can be found in an easy, contained space for when they're going to be added/discussed upon.

Oh cool, nice. I'll be sure to update the blog to have those two.

In other news, I did make profiles for Cappy (without captures) and Ruined Dragon on my wiki to test it out.

I'm sorry but I am still not okay with the assumption that the Power Moon magically poofed a city into existence out of nowhere based upon statements that are far more reasonably interpreted as the moons merely serving as a power source to help construct the city.

Ruined Dragon could be At least Large Building level since he destroyed parts of that tower that's insanely high up in the air, and was implied to have gradually laid waste to the entire kingdom.

Well, it's more that the Power Moons empower New Donk City now, and Mecha Wiggler absorbed the energy. It's somwhat implied it was made by Power Moons due to the Lunarians making an identical building to the one in NDC, but I haven't taken this as to be enough proof to see this a a concrete reason, so don't worry about that.

Due to shooting down a structure empowered by many Power Moons (in it's completed form, at that), and generally just due to their signifcance and placement in the story, I feel that Ruined Dragon should be comparable to or even superior to Mecha Wiggler too.

And yeah, maybe large building. I wasn't sure, as it was only partly destroyed, yet is more a "super building" (made to be really durable, superior contruction techniques, made to tank Ruined Dragon's attacks, etc), so I put building level. I didn't want to go too far, because it wasn't the whole thing, and it was still in good enough shape to support the dragon's weight.

Being the energy source for a city =/= City level however. Especially when there are seemingly dozens or more moons that are each contributing to doing so (judging from the cutscene where Mario fixes the machine)

8-C or High 8-C is fine for me.

I see. Hmm, I thought you said that was the reason earlier, hence why I used it, but... guess you changed your mind or I misread. Well, we'll see, but who knows if Ruined Dragon will even get a profile here?

Thoughts on Cappy's (with captures removed, because I wanted to make a simple profile at first... I'll make a profile including them eventually) profile?

Cappy is pretty much featless without capturing anyone. Unless you want to count its ability to break crates and stones when Mario throws him.

Yeah, I had to be reminded of the plucking and crate breaking, he is pretty featless (can't even defeat a Spiny!!) However, he has relatively okay speed, I guess, and some interesting powers and abilities.

But yeah, I think if we were to make a profile here, we'd add about capture abilities too.

I think that labeling Cappy as 10-C for being incapable of defeating Spinies is a bit much. I mean, Goombas on here are 10-C, but are Spinies? If they're on par with Koopas, I'd be willing to wager th average Koopa is much more powerful than the average Goomba. Goombas are so low on here because they're stated to be the weakest in all of the land or something, and regular humans exist in the Mario world. And even then, really powerful Goombas exist, such as Goombario, Goombella, or King Goomba. If we made a page for him, an Unknow rating for without captures is fine.

Hmm... perhaps. I did do a calculation that boosted Goombas to Small Building level, but... I don't know, I wasn't very good at calculations back then.

I'm not so sure if Spinies are on par with Koopas to be honest, but I can see why you'd think that. But, due to basically being Goombas you can't stomp on, I thought they might as well be seen as that sort of level... but hey, who knows (especially if that calculation turned out to be true, oh dear).

EDIT to match you EDIT: Ah, yeah, probably unknown. Someone said an adult human is capable of breaking crates to try to upgrade Cappy, but... *shrugs*

I mean, Goombas do happen to consistently be 10-C by statements and the fact they do minimal damage in RPG games. That calc would likely be an outlier to Goombas, like Goombella. And in most games, Spinies are far superior to Goombas, even as just unlimited henchmen to be thrown by Lakitu.

Excuse me I would like to make a statement. Grand or multi Moons might be similar to power stars in Mario 64, after completely the main story, you get access to the mushroom kingdom, and just like 64, they have paintings, upon entering the paint they have bosses, they are more aggressive and when you beat them you get a grand moon, one painting in particular can be found in on the moon in the wedding area after gaining a specified amount of moons you get to re-fight bowser but a much aggressive one. what im trying to say is that maybe just like power stars the multi moons have the same pontential, seeing how they might be able to create pocket dimensions inside of paintings like power stars.

well in 64 Bowser used power stars to create pocket dimension, in Odyssey Moons have many similarities to stars, When you collect your first "Moon" in the mushroom kingdom cappy say, I didn't know moons could change shape and the fact moons could be found in painting within odyssey just like 64 means they might be used the same way.

Oh, that's kind of a cool idea, actually. Not sure if it's enough to class Power Moons and Power Stars as the same though... However, what you said about the paintings is a good point. You believe the Power Moon (well, Mulit-Moons, since that was the reward inside) created the Boss Rematch paitnings?

EDIT: Oh, you did actually say that. Hmm, it might work... but then again, Hadou does make a good point... we don't exactly have much proof...

If the moons are equal to the stars, then SMO could be another 3-C game.

But anyway, didn't mecha Wiggler caused thunderstorms and created black clouds above the city? This would be a 6-C feat.

LuckyEmile said:
Wait, do we know that Mecha Wiggler is the cause of that? Because that's quite interesting.
I made a mistake, sorry.

As Pauline confirmed, the "evil monster" (Bowser) did that.

Still, Mario scales to Bowser and Mecha WIggler scales to Mario.

Cappy can also damage the bossess too, but only slightly.

Do we know Mecha Wiggler scales to Mario? Sure he knocked him off gaurd... but other than that... Plus, Mario used a Shirm to defeat it as opposed to himself. Shirms can destory taxis in a single shot, so aren't nothing to talk about, but still I wouldn't say quite Mario tier.

And good point on Cappy, actually. I forgot about that. May I'm just being to harsh on him because of all those times Spinies got in the way, haha.

And... more showcasing of weather manipulation for Bowser (since we gave that to him for lowering the temperature of Tostarena earlier)?

Ah, goos point about Mecha Wiggler...wasn't he empowered by the Moons? If so, then he scales to Mario, and the Shirm is stronger than the Wiggler.

So, Bowser has anyway a really strong feat:the 4-B feat from turning day to night.

And weather manipulation too.

I covered earlier the source of Mecha Wiggler's power in this thread. I'll post some pictures with captions to make it quick to catch up

Mecha Wiggler Juice
The source is the city's energy!

NDC power 2
Which in turn is powered by many Power Moons...

Moon Kingdom
... their energy being good enough to help build a city.

However, it seems to be concluded that the Moons didn't create the city themselves (albeit there are a few implication, but... let's not try to go too far with all this), but rather their energy aided the construction... but still, they undoubtably power the city (see picture 2), so the energy Mecha Wiggler is absorbing is actually from Power Moons essentially.
But... we still don't know if Mecha Wiggler /would/ scale to Mario, if its questionable as to if they can even reach city level. Sure, the Multi-Moon might have created realms in paintings, but... none of the arenas were that big, apart from maybe Lanceur's rematch (the octopus), and we don't even know if they /did/ make those realms.

And, Shirm isn't necessarily stornger than Mecha Wiggler... Minor Mario enemies generally don't scale because they hurt someone, and it was only shooting the weak spots when vulnerable that hurt Mecha Wiggler... So, no, I don't think they'd scale.

We don't quite know if turning day to night was a feat in the end, but I did cover it already in the Part 1 blog on Odyssey's powers and abilities... but also covered how moving a star would not be how day and night works.

And yeah, definately got to add weather maniupulation to the blog, since we've now got two cases. Ice manipulation too, of course.

I would like to note that when Mario posses a enemy they gain his durability, normal enemies that are easily one shorter become more durable after being passed by Mario so it would make sense for them to be stronger.

Back