• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Super Mario Maker 2 Discussion Thread

Less than a day ago, a new Nintendo Direct came out. It's about Super Mario Maker 2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPi-u0D8sQ4

Notably, it has a Story Mode!

So, surely some of you are interested in the upcoming game, with its new features and possible actual plot? Not to mention if any of the new content might be basis for revisions. Although, given that the game isn't out yet, we can't base any revisions on content not officially released yet, mind you.

Anyway, let's DISCUSS!

I really like the new items courses, online multiplayer, new happy moon option Ect this game is really outdoing my expectations.

It is interesting that many enemies & things seem to behave differently in night courses. Mario having some nigh-invulnerability with the Dry Bones Shell is also neat.

It looks like it'll be neat so far, even if it's not perfect.

I believe the story mode caught me off guard the most. Unexpected but definitely welcomed. My imagination is rather limited tbh, so I'm glad they are implementing such content.

Am I the only one who wanted a NSMB DS mode for Super Mario Maker? It's one of the most successful mario games out there, represented Mario's jump back to 2-D (no pun intended) and isn't so modern that it's the same as NSMB U but more modern than SMW.

@Gyro It's still more or less the same with NSMBU with the artstyle, features, and gameplay, so it wouldn't really matter tbh. I don't really blame Nintendo to skip all the way to the recent NSMB since they aren't much of a difference among them. It probably shows that even they know that.

Since Undo Dog and the Eraser dude are canon to the Mario universe, I wonder if we'll get any resistances to existence erasures o3o

Hell, people think that's why Peach is nowhere to be seen and that her castle is gone in the first place as well as Toad saying "This is why I'm a cat person" which seems to imply Undo Dog went and deleted Peach's castle. It's doubtful, though, unless they canonically recognize the fact that the eraser can't erase Mario in the courses. Or what if the ending has Bowser getting erased but he somehow comes back? Undo Dog can likely override the existence erasure of the Eraser as well and both are nice additions to the verse even as canon characters due to their hax abilities. It's mot like EE hasn't happened before amd a character still came back from it in this series.

Mario also gets to add architect to his lomg list of professions that support his intelligence.

And of course, Dry Bones shell means lava resistance amd nigh-invulnerablity or maybe even non-corporeality/non-physicality/intangibility as attacks seem to go through him when he activates it rather than dissipating like with the Star. Although, granted, we've only seen it be undaunted by fire stuff which Dry Bines naturally do resist, although it's worth noting that Mario seemingly disappears while the bones fall apart like when a Dry Bones it stomped on and then reappears when reassembling. Also worthy of note is that the fire in the series has consistently been able to go through objects plenty of times, with the biggest example being Bowser's purple or whatever fireballs in his chase with you in 3D Land where that fire passes through several objects yet can hurt Mario as well as New! having multiple spat fireballs being able to pass through the floors and walls and all.

Overall looking pretty nice. Also, the changing from the Sun to Moon can warp the world which includes making a vast, starry sky unless we simply write that off as time advancing, albeit that wouldn't make sense given the effect it can have on the world at night like harsh winds in a cold desert, super slippery ice, turning all water sources into poison, manipulating space by turning a course upside-down, and changing the gravity of either the course or the enemies on it (which can override Goomba's abilities to adapt to multiple plamet's different gravities from Galaxy). It's also worth noting that collecting the Moon instantly OHKOs in an omnidirectional wave.

Isn't it also implied that Mario himself can create the levels, or at least the blocks and enemies in them and stuff from the promo material? They already are aware of the fourth wall, and being in these advertisements makes sense in that case. Wouldn't be the first time we've used that kind of stuff for character's abilities or feats. The avatars for solo creation and co-op creation are also color-coded to the Bros. colors and the cursors are their gloves IIRC. That seems like enough evidence for creation as an ability.

Also, much like in tbe New! series, Mario can tank Kanek's transmutation magic without being transmutated amd so can the other playable characters. Bowser Jr. and Bowser are either immune or take damage like evey other enemy, but I forget which one is true. Either way, it's possible that resitance can be applied to them as well.

Just a few notes haha.

Treehouse confirmed that Luigi can assist Mario by pausing the game (stopping time?) and allowing Mario to place items, blocks, and even erase things in the level to provide him an easier time.

So uh... Existence Erasure is looking like a legit agility for the Bros. Obviously there's still more context meeded, but the game releases this month so we'll know for sure soon enough.

SMM2 is out, and the story mode while quite simplistic is quite fitting to the game.

Playing it and Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled right now explaining my lack of activity here. There's a new Power Up for Mario and co. but I have to wait for the official name before including it in there profiles.

Lol. Well, you two have fun with all that. Looking forward to learning what changes this brings!

There's 2 new power ups actually, and they both got names even if the 2nd one is pretty generic in terms of name. The other while new to SMM isn't exactly new but really obscure.

Well, there's the Superball Flower which fires metallic balls similar to Fireball but stronger. Super Hammer allows Mario to build and destroy blocks.

I like how some of the story mode courses are clearly made by the villains but they don't disclose their names when putting up the jobs. My favourite is Bowsers "Father of Name Withheld".

I'm also really digging the Super Hammer power-up, smashing oncoming Thwomps to pieces is super satisfying and the blocks you can create add some great utility. I wish more styles other then SMB and SM3DW had more exclusive power-ups tho, the Superball Flower and Super Hammer are cool and all but I'd love for the others styles to get stuff like that too. That's what DLC is for I guess.

Soundfrog has reality warping via dance moves.

Mario and friends are also immune to the Reset Rocket "resetting" the area and erasing the castle, which they were in front of. They even brace for it like they didn't expect to remain unharmed. In levels, the Reset Rocket can even reset the night mode with the starry backgroumd, but it could just be resetting the time of day as well, in which case, they are still immune since tbey don't go back to what they were doing presumably before the castle was built and are aware.

These are really the more impressive things, along with Ant Troopers being confirmed above a Thwomp. Not sure if Bamzai Bills kill Thwomps or if you can hammer tbem, and also not sure if you can hammer a Chain Chomp. If you can't, then those, too, would be > a Thwomp, who can already break bricks and stone blocks.

So what's everyones hopes for DLC? Besides the obvious stuff like power ups, bosses, gizmos, level themes, etc. I would like a campaign maker, where you can string levels you made together into one cohesive adventure via a world map ala SMB3 or SMW.

Back