• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Well from what I could figure out with machine translation is that Flashy Flash is obviously the stronger one of the pair and that he insists on training but most importantly that obsessing over damaged pride won't allow one to become stronger (as he remembers Platinum Sperm, who mocked him exactly for that) which has clearly been Sonic's problem from the start
Huh. That does make the pill easier to swallow and give Flash some extra development on that pride of his. It'd still be better if Sonic got some chance to shine in the next chapter, assuming that all of the Heavenly Ninja Party isn't dead already.

Huh. That does make the pill easier to swallow and give Flash some extra development on that pride of his. It'd still be better if Sonic got some chance to shine in the next chapter, assuming that all of the Heavenly Ninja Party isn't dead already.
Oh yeah, I would have liked to see the Serious Side Hops or at least a variant of it that's actually useful for Sonic lol

Oh yeah, I would have liked to see the Serious Side Hops or at least a variant of it that's actually useful for Sonic lol
It's especially frustrating, because the manga was doing so well in the beginning of the MA arc when it came to adopting the webcomic and expanding on it while making sure to keep it serious. Like Flash vs Gale Wind and Hellfire Flame? It was a completely awesome fight that not only expanded the lore of the ninja village but also gave Flash another chance to show his stuff while also making the interactions seem natural. THAT was really a fight that kept me on the edge of my seat and desperate for the next chapter to come out.

Same goes for most of the battles between the MA cadres and S-class heroes. I enjoyed the battle with Child Emperor vs Phoenix Man, all versions of the fight, because it gave Child Emperor some growth and also expanded on Phoenix Man's abilities. Garou's fight with Darkshine was excellent and showed Garou as despair incarnate while picking apart Darkshine's ideals.

Then when everybody came up to the surface, that's where it all started to fall apart, where comedy started to overtake seriousness, characterization was tossed aside, random monsters appeared out of nowhere, and God took over the plot when it should've just focused on Garou. Now, we got characters like Garou, Sonic and Sweet Mask to an extent being treated as jokes or having their big moments taken away. Really bums a guy out.

It's especially frustrating, because the manga was doing so well in the beginning of the MA arc when it came to adopting the webcomic and expanding on it while making sure to keep it serious...
Absolutely, it really makese me wonder why the manga has changed direction like this when the webcomic is not only kept its brutal, serious side but arguably gotten scarier and more intense in that respect with stuff like the death of Kuseno, Genos's rage and the risk of cyberization.

Why is the manga changing like this but the webcomic isn't? They should be both written pretty much exclusively by ONE, why would he theme them differently like this? I don't understand certain sequences being softened up nor do I like that

Absolutely, it really makese me wonder why the manga has changed direction like this when the webcomic is not only kept its brutal, serious side but arguably gotten scarier and more intense in that respect with stuff like the death of Kuseno, Genos's rage and the risk of cyberization.

Why is the manga changing like this but the webcomic isn't? They should be both written pretty much exclusively by ONE, why would he theme them differently like this? I don't understand certain sequences being softened up nor do I like that
Yes, this! It just feels odd that the webcomic is keeping its serious tone but the manga isn't. Like there was some sort of change midway through, whether it's because Murata took over some creative control or ONE just couldn't bother to implement his own ideas, but ONE should've definitely been kept in charge of the storyboard for the manga. Now, it's starting to feel like a different story. There're still some serious parts in the manga, but for me, they keep getting overshadowed by the less serious moments that are becoming more common.

They should be both written pretty much exclusively by ONE, why would he theme them differently like this?
ONE does everything for the Webcomic. For the manga he'll plot outlines and approve or disapprove of Murata's art, but Murata said he fills in the blanks in that outline and is free to add his own ideas.

My guess is that like with Eyeshield Murata has steadily been given more control or the outlines have gotten vague, resulting in him doing more of his own stuff. Considering ONE is split on other projects it's not an unrealistic possibility.

ONE does everything for the Webcomic. For the manga he'll plot outlines and approve or disapprove of Murata's art, but Murata said he fills in the blanks in that outline and is free to add his own ideas.

My guess is that like with Eyeshield Murata has steadily been given more control or the outlines have gotten vague, resulting in him doing more of his own stuff. Considering ONE is split on other projects it's not an unrealistic possibility.
Seems like the most likely explanation. It's still a big disappointment, though. Don't want to diss on Murata, but I wish he'd try to keep a bit more of the serious spirit from the webcomic if this explanation is true.

Then when everybody came up to the surface, that's where it all started to fall apart, where comedy started to overtake seriousness, characterization was tossed aside, random monsters appeared out of nowhere, and God took over the plot when it should've just focused on Garou. Now, we got characters like Garou, Sonic and Sweet Mask to an extent being treated as jokes or having their big moments taken away. Really bums a guy out.
I mean aside from Metal Bat teaming up with Garou I don't agree with this at all.

The fight on the surface kept the tone serious particularly with moments like Genos shielding Tatsumaki's body with his own and I find Sweet Mask's speech to Darkshine (this sequence) far more appealing than him lifting a big rock and crushing some Black Sperm clones lol

Also Sonic has always edged between being a joke and a serious character, more joke than serious considering he slips on dogshit or "feels more powerful" after losing 3 kilos because of diarrhea lol

Last edited:

I figure much of it is Murata having more of a say on characterization, but I didn't want to say that out loud since I know many people get upset at the notion that Murata is responsible for changes in the manga's plot (as opposed to ONE directing him to portray things in gentler fashion). I wasn't sure of this theory until the webcomic started up again after its hiatus, stayed on theme while still also incorporating manga elements like Brave Giant, Bristle Armor and Suiryu

The fact that the webcomic is continuing and incorporating in previously manga-exclusive additions while staying gritty makes it feel like the softening has to either be Murata or some publishing force at work

I figure much of it is Murata having more of a say on characterization, but I didn't want to say that out loud since I know many people get upset at the notion that Murata is responsible for changes in the manga's plot (as opposed to ONE directing him to portray things in gentler fashion). I wasn't sure of this theory until the webcomic started up again after its hiatus, stayed on theme while still also incorporating manga elements like Brave Giant, Bristle Armor and Suiryu

The fact that the webcomic is continuing and incorporating in previously manga-exclusive additions while staying gritty makes it feel like the softening has to either be Murata or some publishing force at work
Or ONE is aware that both continuities are different and writes accordingly? If he started to add manga characterization and plot points all of a sudden it wouldn't make sense in the WC.

I mean aside from Metal Bat teaming up with Garou I don't agree with this at all.

The fight on the surface kept the tone serious particularly with moments like Genos shielding Tatsumaki's body with his own and I believe that Sweet Mask speech to Darkshine (this sequence) far more appealing than him lifting a big rock and crushing some Black Sperm clones lol

Also Sonic has always edged between being a joke and a serious character, more joke than serious considering he slips on dogshit or "feels more powerful" after losing 3 kilos because of diarrhea lol
Yea, the Metal Bat & Garou team-up was the one I was really focused on specifically. The other fights were indeed very serious and gave a very malevolent tone. Indeed, the one area I'd argue where the manga actually outdid the webcomic in terms of seriousness and cruelty was Fuhrer Ugly. That guy was ******* TERRIFYING when he got to the surface. He really sold himself as a threat and was able to take down a lot of the S-class heroes.

I guess the more appropriate way I should've phrased it was ever since Safe Centipede appeared, that's when things started to fall apart and seriousness was exchanged for comedy, or the plot changes ended up not panning out very well in the end. Platinum Sperm was fine as a final boss, and Sage Centipede wasn't needed.

Or ONE is aware that both continuities are different and writes accordingly? If he started to add manga characterization and plot points all of a sudden it wouldn't make sense in the WC.
I was open to that possiblity earlier on but the more manga-exclusive elements ONE inserts into the webcomic, the more I doubt that he intends for them to be fundamentally different narratives. I mentioned Brave Giant and Bristle Armor as things ONE has grafted into the webcomic since returning from the hiatus to show that he's been putting in work to have webcomic and manga character arcs and powerlevels intersect.

Obviously he can't go back and write cosmic Garou into the webcomic but it looks to me like he's trying to bring the WC more into line with the manga continuity. That he's made a marked effort to do so after the tone of the manga changed ( tonal changes that correspond to changes in ONE and Murata's workloads with Versus & Village Animations/DBZ Gallery/etc respectively). So I really don't think ONE is choosing to tone down the manga while keeping the webcomic gritty for continuity's sake

I guess the more appropriate way I should've phrased it was ever since Safe Centipede appeared, that's when things started to fall apart and seriousness was exchanged for comedy, or the plot changes ended up not panning out very well in the end. Platinum Sperm was fine as a final boss, and Sage Centipede wasn't needed.
Safe Centipede lol, that's a good one. The sense of danger in the manga really dropped with his introduction so that's pretty funny and accurate slander

I was open to that possiblity earlier on but the more manga-exclusive elements ONE inserts into the webcomic, the more I doubt that he intends for them to be fundamentally different narratives. I mentioned Brave Giant and Bristle Armor as things ONE has grafted into the webcomic since returning from the hiatus to show that he's been putting in work to have webcomic and manga character arcs and powerlevels intersect.
Child Emperor building Brave Giant and PPP gaining his Bristle Armor isn't at all comparable to the complete narrative changes during the MA arc, if you don't notice how fundamentally different they are then you are up for a really proper and long re-read of both.

i will not admited,but reading one chapter of a fanfic of one punch man was better than trying to watch this arc...god how it is this meh

no seriosly,but i cannot feel like i could hate this,because it is understandable in the pace because we are in the holydays and that it is,is not like boruto or something

Child Emperor building Brave Giant and PPP gaining his Bristle Armor isn't at all comparable to the complete narrative changes during the MA arc, if you don't notice how fundamentally different they are then you are up for a really proper and long re-read of both.
Most of the complete narrative changes you're referring to in the manga had been set up 4-6 years before the tonal change I'm talking about here, Orochi was introduced when, 2016? He was introduced so Tatsumaki taking damage would be plausible and the MA raid arc must have been around that time too, meaning the structure of the MA and the MA raid would have already been fundamentally different by then

I'm specifically referring to the widespread sappification of many characters after chapters 140/157 which correspond to changes in the Phoenix Man, Amai Mask and Orochi redraws and comparing it to the webcomic chapters after the 2021-22 hiatus. Making heroes more friendly, heroes less violent, villains less threatening and more. Not that there was a hard heel-turn at any particular point, especially considering Tatsumaki's behavior in the Psykorochi fight, but it was really noticeable in the Stones and Diamonds chapter and tthe Sage Centipede fight.

And man, I just reread the webcomic from Rover vs Garou up till the current chapters and the manga MA arc in November, do I really have to do that again, already?

Anyway, I guess I'll make a CRT for a Post MA Arc Flashy Flash key since he seemingly got stronger now
Could you maybe hold off on that for a month? There's the possibility Flashy Flash has some interaction with Empty Void, or that there's more to the Heavenly Ninja Party.

I'd prefer it if we had a CRT for this arc with new keys for Sonic, Flashy and a new profile for Empty Void

Could you maybe hold off on that for a month? There's the possibility Flashy Flash has some interaction with Empty Void, or that there's more to the Heavenly Ninja Party.

I'd prefer it if we had a CRT for this arc with new keys for Sonic, Flashy and a new profile for Empty Void
Alright, fair enough then I'll hold off on it for now.

No useable Platinum S statement
Well, that sucks above dragon ninja party incoming
It's especially frustrating, because the manga was doing so well in the beginning of the MA arc when it came to adopting the webcomic and expanding on it while making sure to keep it serious. Like Flash vs Gale Wind and Hellfire Flame? It was a completely awesome fight that not only expanded the lore of the ninja village but also gave Flash another chance to show his stuff while also making the interactions seem natural. THAT was really a fight that kept me on the edge of my seat and desperate for the next chapter to come out.

Same goes for most of the battles between the MA cadres and S-class heroes. I enjoyed the battle with Child Emperor vs Phoenix Man, all versions of the fight, because it gave Child Emperor some growth and also expanded on Phoenix Man's abilities. Garou's fight with Darkshine was excellent and showed Garou as despair incarnate while picking apart Darkshine's ideals.

I hold One as the only responsible for Sweet Mask's downfall, he had such a MASSIVE L when compared to the WC that I find it impossible that he didn't approved in order to change the character arc, unless he actually saw the filth Murata did to him and thought "oh hey, he was supposed to have a moment to prove why his arrogant behavior isn't just for show, but you made him a clown ? Eh, whatever", which would make me worry for OPM, cuz while Murata has god tier art...same can't be said for his plots

Then when everybody came up to the surface, that's where it all started to fall apart, where comedy started to overtake seriousness, characterization was tossed aside, random monsters appeared out of nowhere, and God took over the plot when it should've just focused on Garou.
I’mma comment on this later, cause thats quite honestly 🧢

Back