• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Strongest One Punch General Discussion Thread v6

Status
Not open for further replies.
King remote controlling Brave Giant would be wild though

I always envisioned King being mutated into a being of pure digital code and essentially turning into a real life video game character, with all the benefits that comes from becoming one like extra lives or whatever. Would probably be an extreme transformation so him becoming a mech pilot would make tremendous sense.

Maybe it's just an specific resistance,i truly can't see the weaker monsters his father fought being anywhere near the level of resisting nukes through raw durability.

Matthew Schroeder said:
https://********.org/chapter/688519/1
Anyone read this? It's another One Shot by ONE and Murata that continues the story of this guy.
It seems they are different characters with the same name.

Andytrenom said:
Would "impervious to all human weapons" justify scaling to nukes?
Is there any evidence that nukes even exist in the OPM world?

Matthew Schroeder said:
The One-shot mentions City Z and Black Sperm has a cameo, it is set in the OPM world.
The creature who looked like Black Sperm is an alien in that one-shot and Earth is also only protected by Daichi and his father with no else around. It's clearly not the OPM world, the BS thing feels either like a reference or reusing designs

It's not like there isn't precedent for it - Himiko, in the other one shot, was waging her own secret war, and no one except her fanclub knew about that. And in OPM itself, there are lots of other groups of superhuman people we never really hear about from outside, like the Swordmaster Council & the Ninja Village, or many of the powerful independent martial artists.

So it's entirely in line with the past for all of this to have existed, and just not have been talked about.

Seriously, though. Daichi in this story was giving me major Saitama vibes. An unknown, incredibly powerful and highly destructive hero who talked about defeating powerful opponents with single hits? And then at the end he says that he'll only fight again when a truly powerful opponent shows up and he is actually needed? And also his short, spiky hair...

Its throwing me off because I always envisioned Blast being a Superman type character, but we've never actually seen Blast in action and what his power set is.

Its interesting to note as well that the only monster we know he's thought before was one that was gigantic in size, otherwise known as Elder Centipede

Blast probably has the ultimate power: Punching really really hard.

I mean he's like 16 years old in this. Maybe his powers evolved / changed over time. Maybe he learned to have his Giant Form strength in human form. Who knows.

Also, I feel the "Alien who came to Earth" backstory REALLY ties a lot with the idea that Blast is a Superman parody.

@Matt Honestly, to me he came off as very different than Saitama. He is overpowered but nowhere near as much as Saitama and as OP protagonist they were used very differently. And his proclamation to only fight the strong opponents is him accepting that his father has to be the one fighting the normal monsters and keeping the population hopeful, while he should only step in when it's genuinely required of him, a very different situation than Saitama hoping to one day face an opponent that genuinely gives him a challenge

Not going to say a comparison isn't warranted, but in my opinion the similarities are very surface level

That fire monster was giving Daichi a good fight, and there's that monster king who's even stronger. He's no Saitama.

Also I find it hard to believe that OPM had a world famous guardian of the planet who everyone knew of prior to the Hero Association (Daichi's dad), yet no one ever mentions him.

I dunno, people rarely talk about Blast, and he's ostensibly active in the present. There's never really been a point in the series where talking about the major heroes of old was even relevant - we only get a few flashbacks to the past, and we know powerful people have been around for far longer than just mere decades (Bang and Bomb, for instance, were less experienced but otherwise far stronger in their prime, which would likely have been 50-60 years ago, well before most of the characters in OPM had even been born.)

Chaingunfighter1 said:
I dunno, people rarely talk about Blast, and he's ostensibly active in the present. There's never really been a point in the series where talking about the major heroes of old was even relevant
Because the idea of a well known, public hero wasn't a thing prior to the Hero Association. There were just rogue vigilantes that most people didn't know of. Daichi's dad is world famous and (before Daichi steps in) was known as the sole protector of Earth. There's no reason why no one would bring him up, or why the idea of pro heroes would be seen as some new thing, if he's in the same world.

I dunno. Blast has been active for at least 18 years. Nothing actually implies public heroes didn't exist, but simply that no one was able to (or bothered to) put them under a single organization with cohesive funding, marketing/publicity, tactical & strategic planning, communication, and all of the other logistics.

One could easily make the argument that none of that was necessary in the past with a sole (perhaps regionalized) protector in Daikichi and his son who were available to stop the attacks 100% of the time (as far as we're aware), and likewise Himiko was by and large out of the public eye, both of which deincentivized immediate and expensive organization. It took a billionaire to found the Hero Association as it is, and the entity's continued existence is reliant on donations both from the public and from wealthy private individuals, which proves (if it wasn't already obvious) that doing so was no easy task. This isn't something you'd feel an incentive to do if the situation was stable, and I get that it's bad for the long term, but it's not like incompetence or failure to plan for the long term is a stranger to politics in OPM (or in the real world for that matter.)

And by the way, I don't actually believe the "Daichi is Blast" theories, if for anything simply because it'd be stupid to establish such a prolific character through one shots that are at best subtly connected and unlikely to be read by the majority of OPM fans. I just think it's completely plausible that ONE & Murata wrote Dangan Tenshi Fan Club and Monster of Earth to be in the same universe as OPM, with Himiko & Daichi being heroes in a more disunited but less chaotic version of the world, likely in the past.

That said, the fact that they're i the OPM category without confirmation is kind of weird, and they should probably get their own pages.

Chaingunfighter1 said:
but simply that no one was able to (or bothered to) put them under a single organization with cohesive funding, marketing/publicity, tactical & strategic planning, communication, and all of the other logistics.
And this is exactly what Daichi's dad was.

He just doesn't work in OPM's setting. The Hero Association was supposed to be the dawn of famous heroes like him, with Saitama being the one who indirectly kickstarted it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back