• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Nah, otherwise any mook or being could grab one when we know that isn't the case.
You mean stuff like the handless robots and if that’s the example do you mean to imply attacks that otherwise wouldn’t effect sonic trigger his Damage Transferal.
Sonic and Shadow don't pick up each other's Rings in Gens for example, iirc
Probably a game mechanic to prevent the fight from being prolonged indefinitely

They could grab them, but utilizing their special properties like Sonic does would require the opponent to have Energy Absorption.
This. Otherwise agencies such as G.U.N. would've had no reason to lose the Eggman War in Forces, Eggman himself would utilize Rings for his inventions (or himself even) for protection ages ago, and everybody doing business with them on the planet has access to 2-B/A Damage Transferal. If they were automatically absorbed by EVERYONE, the masses wouldn't be in danger as often as they are and fights would literally never end. Let's not be ridiculous.

This. Otherwise agencies such as G.U.N. would've had no reason to lose the Eggman War in Forces,
Isn’t the Phantom rube the reason he won just hit them twice unless you are arguing invincibility frames are canon.
Eggman himself would utilize Rings for his inventions (or himself even) for protection ages ago,
doesn’t he in adventure 2 also PIS
If they were automatically absorbed by EVERYONE, the masses wouldn't be in danger as often as they are and fights would literally never end. Let's not be ridiculous.
Aren’t most threats capable of attacking twice?

Isn’t the Phantom rube the reason he won just hit them twice unless you are arguing invincibility frames are canon.
"Just hit them twice" is a lol. And are Invincibility frames shown in a cutscene lol? What's the point of mentioning it?
doesn’t he in adventure 2 also PIS
That's not PIS, that's you trying to cover a logical loophole in your argument.
Aren’t most threats capable of attacking twice?
This is ignoring the fact that Rings drop feet away from you and can easily be reacquired, so your redundant questioning doesn't change anything.

That's not PIS, that's you trying to cover a logical loophole in your argument.
Why not? Do you have anything definitive to explain it as absorption even also he literally does in adventure 2
This is ignoring the fact that Rings drop feet away from you and can easily be reacquired, so your redundant questioning doesn't change anything
Alright then so are we taking back threats to the planet everyone lives on or the threats to the universe they live in

Why not? Do you have anything definitive to explain it as absorption even also he literally does in adventure 2
I don't have to prove your claim for you. Also, Eggman is a scientific genius that has technology far beyond that of standard humanity and the Eggman War was just a nail in the coffin to that. Developing technology with Absorption is not only feasible, but in fact already in the profile with some of his inventions. And yes, Eggman uses Rings to power the shield of his mech. That was my screw-up indeed, it slipped my mind. You're just overreaching for an inconsistency when there isn't any.
Alright then so are we taking back threats to the planet everyone lives on or the threats to the universe they live in
Ya lost me here.

aside from all that shake said, even if someone grabed a ring, who is to say that they will know how to use it in the first place? like, we don't assume that someone just steals the equipment of another char in a vs match as a valid wincon most of the time since they would need to learn how to use it in the first place

I don't have to prove your claim for you. Also, Eggman is a scientific genius that has technology far beyond that of standard humanity and the Eggman War was just a nail in the coffin to that. Developing technology with Absorption is not only feasible, but in fact already in the profile with some of his inventions. And yes, Eggman uses Rings to power the shield of his mech. That was my screw-up indeed, it slipped my mind. You're just overreaching for an inconsistency when there isn't any.
Metal sonic can carry rings so why don’t they all the time.
Ya lost me here.
What things putting the masses in danger
looking at Sonic’s profile his energy absorption comes from:Damage Transferal, Energy Absorption, & Forcefield Creation (With his Guard Skill, Sonic Guard, Sonic can defend himself by creating a pulsing purple barrier that transfers half the damage received as energy for his Ichikoro Gauge; a gauge that will build up energy from being struck, guarding against attacks, and healing himself[35])
aside from all that shake said, even if someone grabed a ring, who is to say that they will know how to use it in the first place? like, we don't assume that someone just steals the equipment of another char in a vs match as a valid wincon most of the time since they would need to learn how to use it in the first place
I am pretty sure that the rings aren’t actively used

looking at Sonic’s profile his energy absorption comes from:Damage Transferal, Energy Absorption, & Forcefield Creation (With his Guard Skill, Sonic Guard, Sonic can defend himself by creating a pulsing purple barrier that transfers half the damage received as energy for his Ichikoro Gauge; a gauge that will build up energy from being struck, guarding against attacks, and healing himself[35])
Now that Rings are considered canon absorbing them also qualifies as Absorption.

This isn’t the big brain argument you think it is.

I see, the sonic wiki says "While appearing nothing out of the ordinary, Rings contain an unspecified form of energy referred to as "Ring Energy" which has energizing effects on machines, living beings and Super States. Rings' unique properties also allow large amounts of them to carried at once, although it is not known where one puts them as they apparently disappear when picked up; not even a genius like Tails knows for sure where they go."

But this implies the absorption is a property of the rings

I don't know about the Rings, like, okay they appear, but if we were to count, the number of times the characters take damage and the rings appear or not, the ones that don't appear would be bigger

I don't know about the Rings, like, okay they appear, but if we were to count, the number of times the characters take damage and the rings appear or not, the ones that don't appear would be bigger
The characters are not carrying them all the time, simple

Sonic can grasp one in Prime and not immediately absorb it, so that seems to indicate it isn't an inherent/passive property. Because again, otherwise it wouldn't work as a form of standard currency. Meanwhile, in other instances in the same episode he immediately subsumes them with the trademark Ring collection sound.

The characters are not carrying them all the time, simple
...what's the sense of it? Like, even assuming this is true, there's still the fact that Sonic can transform even without rings, and he loses the moment the gameplay starts, that's still questionable.

I see, the sonic wiki says "While appearing nothing out of the ordinary, Rings contain an unspecified form of energy referred to as "Ring Energy" which has energizing effects on machines, living beings and Super States. Rings' unique properties also allow large amounts of them to carried at once, although it is not known where one puts them as they apparently disappear when picked up; not even a genius like Tails knows for sure where they go."

This is an excerpt from a fan wiki. Doesn’t mean anything unless they give a source for the claim.

sense of what? someone who owns a gun is not gonna carry it all the time with them
So you tell me that Sonic stayed from the moment he arrived at the StarFall islands and until he found Giganto without any ring? Since when he was thrown he didn't release any.

sonic doesn't require rings to transform at alll
Besides this cutscene, do we have any other evidence? And if we do, how long does it take for him to lose his transformation?

In gameplay, it stops when the rings run out

In Cutscene, it lasts as long as it lasts until the gameplay returns

And if this true, how do we put that in battle wiki terms?

So you tell me that Sonic stayed from the moment he arrived at the StarFall islands and until he found Giganto without any ring? Since when he was thrown he didn't release any.
yeah, what is so sureal about it? when sonic had rings they protect him, since they didn't that time, he didn't had them, it is a very simple thing to get

Besides this cutscene, do we have any other evidence? And if we do, how long does it take for him to lose his transformation?
my dude, this thread has nothing to do with any transformation
also i feel like you should actually read the blog linked in the OP in the rings section you know? the examples are there

In gameplay, it stops when the rings run out

In Cutscene, it lasts as long as it lasts until the gameplay returns

And if this true, how do we put that in battle wiki terms?
my dude, rings being canon does not matter at all for super forms since we have various examples that prove that not only a time limit for it doesn't exist, but that it doesn't use any rings to be activated at all, even in its first appearence sonic transformed without any rings, stop bringing things that are not being proposed by the thread here

Sonic can grasp one in Prime and not immediately absorb it, so that seems to indicate it isn't an inherent/passive property. Because again, otherwise it wouldn't work as a form of standard currency. Meanwhile, in other instances in the same episode he immediately subsumes them with the trademark Ring collection sound.
It's not like the rings you grab for money are separated from the other rings

yeah, what is so sureal about it? when sonic had rings they protect him, since they didn't that time, he didn't had them, it is a very simple thing to get
Okay, but do you realize how unlikely that is? There are several Rings along the way. Does this make these Rings a specific gameplay mechanic?

my dude, this thread has nothing to do with any transformation
So what? Then i'm not allowed to ask?
also i feel like you should actually read the blog linked in the OP in the rings section you know? the examples are there
Assumption but I will ignore, besides, the only example given was precisely the ball of death or whatever it's called
my dude, rings being canon does not matter at all for super forms since we have various examples that prove that not only a time limit for it doesn't exist, but that it doesn't use any rings to be activated at all, even in its first appearence sonic transformed without any rings, stop bringing things that are not being proposed by the thread here
What I have is a question, if your answer is "My dude, this has nothing to do with the thread" I ask that you either respond the question or simply not respond my comment at all.

If the rings are canon now, I want to know whether or not that affects how long the Super forms last

If so, how exactly do we equalize this?

If not, what exactly happens to Super Sonic when he detransforms because he has no rings? Does he run out of some kind of other energy? And how he deal with the time that characters say they are going to look out for rings? (SA2 and 06 final bosses)

Okay, but do you realize how unlikely that is? There are several Rings along the way. Does this make these Rings a specific gameplay mechanic?
unlikely maybe, impossible not

So what? Then i'm not allowed to ask?
you are but not here since it has nothing to do with the proposals at all

Assumption but I will ignore, besides, the only example given was precisely the ball of death or whatever it's called
Sonic prime says hello

What I have is a question, if your answer is "My dude, this has nothing to do with the thread" I ask that you either respond the question or simply not respond my comment at all.

If the rings are canon now, I want to know whether or not that affects how long the Super forms last

If so, how exactly do we equalize this?

If not, what exactly happens to Super Sonic when he detransforms because he has no rings? Does he run out of some kind of other energy? And how he deal with the time that characters say they are going to look out for rings? (SA2 and 06 final bosses)
i already answered all of those questions, no super forms doesn't use rings, no super forms don't detransform due to a time limit or running out of any energy, and the last point is pure mechanics since we saw that sonic can go super without rings

Sonic prime says hello
----------------------------------

unlikely maybe, impossible not
Sonic was trying hard lmao

you are but not here since it has nothing to do with the proposals at all
Well, It's talking about Rings, rings that, whether or not game mechanics, are part of.
no super forms don't detransform due to a time limit or running out of any energy, and the last point is pure mechanics since we saw that sonic can go super without rings
ok, so now how we work with that, now that rings are canon, I think we should take their mentions more seriously than just discard it for something we already know, even thought the're game mechanics, they should have some weight

Last edited:
Quick question still may sound dumb but sage say that everything sonic inactive in game was because of his connection to cyber space and how everything was recreate from his memory. Do that include rings too? Sorry for the bad english

I want to say no since Rings appear all over the place, both on and off of Earth, so I don't think every singe ring in Frontiers was made from his memories. Maybe some of them were, but I highly doubt all of them were.

This is why I don't want to make Rings canon. Opens too many floodgates
It doesn't tbh, of course there's going to be disagreements on a very prominent debating wiki.

Time limit of Rings for Super Forms is contradicted in the ending of its debut game. Cyber Corruption is specifically noted to be jank with Sonic's Super Form due to his recklessness. Master King even noted that at any moment, his power could vanish. The ball struggle is proof of that, not a time limit of Super Forms based on Rings. Of course Base Sonic is going to die if he doesn't have enough Rings to tank attacks from a 2-B/A.

Eggman himself would utilize Rings for his inventions (or himself even) for protection ages ago, and everybody doing business with them on the planet has access to 2-B/A Damage Transferal.
If I may ask, what do you mean? Dr.Eggman and his technology have shown to been able to use Rings, such as Gamma and Omega.

This is why I don't want to make Rings canon. Opens too many floodgates
I agree. It allows the characters to survive effectively anything in their verse, while also needing Rings for Super, which would be consistent with gameplay mechanics. Shields are also just better Rings, and they can be a bubble. Rings can't be a bubble, so

Back