• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Soul King and Yhwach Revisions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catalyst75

The longest serving member
As far as I understand it, the argument for Yhwach possessing the Schrifts of all the Sternritter is due to the idea that, when he takes back their power, he takes their abilities as well and allows him to use him as he desires, a la Aaroniero.

Except, the problem is we never see this done at any point in the series proper. At most, knowledge, skill, talents (not abilities) and power are engraved on Yhwach's Soul Fragments and go to him when the Sternritter dies. He's always used only his own abilities in the manga, none of the abilities of Quincy whose Schrifts he's reclaimed, so it seems to be speculation that he'd have their abilities.

Then there is the Soul King, based on what info we know from "Can't Fear Your Own World". Not only does his specific bio give him tabs for having the Sternritter's abilities, but also the abilities of all Fullbringers because it is fragments of the Soul King that are responsible for awakening Fullbring in Humans. Again, this seems to be based on speculation, taking a statement about the origin of Fullbring powers and extrapolating it beyond what was initially stated. In his case, especially, it doesn't seem to make sense, since the Soul King lived thousands of years at a minimum before any Sternritter or Fullbringer, whose powers he's given in those two tabs, ever existed.

------------------------------UPDATE-----------------------
YHWACH

"All the knowledge they acquired, all the abilities they gained through their efforts, all the talents that blossomed while they were recovering, Became engraved on the soul fragments imparted to them by the babe"

" As their wounds slowly healed, the knowledge they had gained, the abilities they had learned through great effort, the skills they had awakened within themselves... // ...were all imprinted upon the fragments of the baby’s soul that they had received"

These are two separate translations from Mangahelpers, but the full quote is about how knowledge, abilities, and skills/talents engraved upon the soul fragment. As stated previously Yhwach's never demonstrated any sign or evidence that he possesses the abilities of the Sternritter whose Schrifts came back to him after they died.

Later on, in Chapter 565, this was said about Yhwach's ability "to give and take":

Haschwalth: In the earlier battle, His Majesty has already... // ...scattered fragments of his own soul across all of Seireitei. // This battle is a battle for His Majesty. // Not only we of the Sternritter... // ...but also any Shinigami who have come into contact with His Majesty’s soul... // ...will give up their own souls as offerings to His Majesty upon their deaths.

Haschwalth: No matter who perishes in this battle... // It will only serve to bolster His Majesty’s strength... // ...and to extend His Majesty’s life. /To His Majesty, battle is life itself. / If he does not continue to absorb souls... // Eventually, he will return... // ...to the body he once had, unable to see, to hear, or even to move.

The main purpose of Yhwach's ability is to grow his strength, extend his life, and keep his body functional. The Auswahlen operates similarly, taking life and power and redistributing it, either to Yhwach himself or to other Quincy. If there was direct evidence (not one line of dialogue extrapolated towards a certain meaning) of Yhwach's soul fragments taking special abilities - that every Schrift he took back gave him the corresponding ability - I would think Kubo would have been more clear about this, or even demonstrated it at some point.

Except, he didn't. Instead, he would place emphasis on power, whenever the subject of this aspect of Yhwach's abilities comes up.

SOUL KING

On the subject of the Soul King's tab, Can't Fear Your Own World gives evidence that the abilities Fullbringers possess aren't ones the Soul King himself would have possessed. Rather, abilities they possesses which the fragments of the Soul King allowed to awaken:

Why is the fullbringer targeted by the hollow at the foetal stage?
GINJÔ had predicted that the reason had to be because of something that was mixed into the soul from before it was born. Although it was not clear what kind of influence this fragment of the Soul King would have, GINJÔ had assumed that just like Mimihagi-sama had taken possession of a soul reaper, if this fragment were to be fused with human beings, then it would bring about an effect similar to that of the hôgyoku.
A device that manifests the desires of those around it, something that could change the world.
The hôgyoku.
It would not be surprising if the fragment of the Soul King acts as its substitute and activates fullbring that can turn attachment into an ability.

As a refresher, the Hogyoku's specific power is limited by the target's potential to fulfil their desires. In the same vein, the Soul King fragments most likely bears the same influence, awakening the potential of Fullbring within Humans and allowing them to manifest a special ability through an object they have a close attachment to. As the progenitor of the power, the Soul King most likely possesses matter manipulation through manipulating the "souls within matter" (an extent of which was demonstrated by Aura Michibane in "Can't Fear Your Own World").

Presuming the Soul King has the exact abilities of each Fullbringer in the series, however, is stretching the relationship between them.

Last edited:
I'll wait for any counter arguments but I don't see why Soul King has said abilities so I'm fine with removing them if there is no logical reason.

I half to ask though, did Yhwach grant the Sternritter their abilities via his power or did they have them already?.

I'll wait for any counter arguments but I don't see why Soul King has said abilities so I'm fine with removing them if there is no logical reason.

I half to ask though, did Yhwach grant the Sternritter their abilities via his power or did they have them already?.
Yhwach engraves a letter signifying an ability onto a person's soul, granting them the ability.

But it's not a case of him holding into the ability first and then handing it out.

Yhwach engraves a letter signifying an ability onto a person's soul, granting them the ability.

But it's not a case of him holding into the ability first and then handing it out.
If that's the case then I don't think he should have the abilities unless he actually displayed them.

They have the latent potential; the Schrift simply awakens the ability. Let us look at Uryu, for example. He didn't awaken "The Antithesis", an ability that surpasses "The Almighty", until Yhwach bestowed a Schrift upon him, even though "The Antithesis" is why Uryu survived the Auswahlen. The Lloyd twins were also implied to have some form of "The Yourself" since they were younger.

Yhwach's big wall of text key be like:
616.jpg

Edit: I agree with this

I can understand why Soul king wouldn’t have it, but why not Yhwach? He take their power back and absorbs it.

He never uses Yamamoto’s Bankai again, but I don’t think any of us believe he doesn’t have that. What are the counterarguments here?

He take their power back and absorbs it.

When Yhwach absorbs power, the only thing we've seen him gain from it is his senses, his lifespan and overall strength/power.

He's never shown the ability to activate other people's abilities, including any Schrifts. Even ones that could be active by default without any cost like The Wind ability that deflects all attacks he's aware of... Or The Deathdealing which would make him immune to whatever he absorbs. To me, there needs to be more than just him absorbing it. He needs to be shown the ability to use them once he's absorbed them.

Yama's Bankai is more plausible because he's shown to have it in his possession in the form of a medallion, and we have cases from other characters carrying and activating medallions with stolen Bankai in them.

The Voice - Imgur

well he may have used the voice here
That's not a Schrift. Yhwach just healed himself so that he could speak again.

It also wouldn't make sense for it to be a Schrift since the process involves engraving a letter on a person's soul so that he can impart a bigger portion of his soul... How could he grant his soul to himself?

I'm also pretty sure Schrifts are typically referred to as "The ______." Like Bambietta calling hers "The Explode" or Quilge calling his "The Jail."

So, he grants unique powers to people, then he takes them back.

To be fair, he really wouldn’t have the need to use any of their powers, since we accept that The Almighty is universal hax. Why would he need tier 6 abilities that people already fought and know how to beat?

The sternritter abilities are yhwach litteraly branding someones soul with a letter which is also his soul, the abilities are yhwach's that return to him when they die.

The sternritter abilities are yhwach litteraly branding someones soul with a letter which is also his soul, the abilities are yhwach's that return to him when they die.
Yhwach doesn't have the abilities inherently. Remember he started off as a baby without his senses, without the ability to move, without any indication that he had any Schrift or ability, besides the power to share out his own soul.

So he doesn't possess the ability then hands it off to someone else. And it is never stated that he can use the Schrifts once he absorbs his portion of the soul back from the Sternritter.

The only thing that is said is "He'll grow stronger, and live longer" and if he doesn't absorb souls then "He'll return back to being like a blind, helpless infant."

Nothing about "being able to use all the Schrifts."

So they should be removed from both Yhwach and the Soul King.

I don’t see why him not using them again is a reason to say he doesn’t have them. He granted them a part of his soul, it became a Schrift they could use, then he took it back.

We accept The Almighty as a universal-tier fate hax. Why would he even want to use any of the other schrifts? They’re tiers upon tiers lower.

I don’t see why him not using them again is a reason to say he doesn’t have them. He granted them a part of his soul, it became a Schrift they could use, then he took it back.

It's not just him not using them.

It's the lack of evidence that he can use them to begin with.

EDIT: I haven't seen any objection to having them be removed from the Soul King. So shall I go ahead about update the Soul King's profile?

What other evidence do you think he would need?

The Almighty was an ability he took from the Soul King with that absorption. Why wouldn’t he be able to do the same with the rest of those abilities?

Shit sorry, I was wrong.

But either way, I still think my point about the tiering stands. It’s universal+ fate hax, and a bunch of continental abilities otherwise. There’s no reason for him to use the continental abilities.

As far as I understand it, the argument for Yhwach possessing the Schrifts of all the Sternritter is due to the idea that, when he takes back their power, he takes their abilities as well and allows him to use him as he desires, a la Aaroniero.

Except, the problem is we never see this done at any point in the series proper. At most, knowledge, skill, talents (not abilities) and power are engraved on Yhwach's Soul Fragments and go to him when the Sternritter dies. He's always used only his own abilities in the manga, none of the abilities of Quincy whose Schrifts he's reclaimed, so it seems to be speculation that he'd have their abilities.
It directly states when the flashback explaining his ability to impart his soul and then take it back includes abilities.

They have the latent potential; the Schrift simply awakens the ability. Let us look at Uryu, for example. He didn't awaken "The Antithesis", an ability that surpasses "The Almighty", until Yhwach bestowed a Schrift upon him, even though "The Antithesis" is why Uryu survived the Auswahlen. The Lloyd twins were also implied to have some form of "The Yourself" since they were younger.
This doesn't make sense. It's never stated that Antithesis is how Uryu survived Auswhalen when he was a kid and Royd Lloyd and Loyd Lloyd are quite literally the only ones with a backstory like this, everyone was either a piece of the soul king such as Pernida and Gerard or were simply said to have been given a Schrift, such as Lille, the 1st quincy to have a schrift.

I'm indifferent to SK and it seems Damage already changed it anyway.

There's still Yhwach to remove them from. So far the staff who have commented agree with their removal.

Nah for Yhwach it quite literally states that he takes their abilities, talents etc and we already have a note saying he hasn't used them but he 'possibly' has it so no need to remove it from him.

Nobody has countered this.

Shit sorry, I was wrong.

But either way, I still think my point about the tiering stands. It’s universal+ fate hax, and a bunch of continental abilities otherwise. There’s no reason for him to use the continental abilities.
Any ability he could get from using their Schrifts would be pointless. His fate hax would give him a similar if not better ability either way.

Him not using them is a simple case of CIS. His profile even reflects this as stated earlier. Him granting Schrifts is even just referred to as simply him sharing his soul more deeply that he does by touching someone.

But it’s not proof he can’t either.

All we know is that he engraves his soul into things, and then he can take that and other aspects of them back. It was his soul that gave them those abilities, therefore they would be engraved in the part of his soul he took back.

The Miracle actually is superior to his fate hax in the resurrection department, and if he did possess it when Ichigo first killed him then he would have resurrected automatically instead of using the All-Mighty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back