• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
The idea of Time Travel is confusing for a lot of franchises really. Which is why I'm glad Rick & Morty don't use for that reason.

You guys notice how depowered characters are (so far anyway) in IDW compared to Archie? (I don't have a problem with it, btw, as it keeps them from being insanely broken and to potentially keep the plots good enough without thinking "Can't this dude move at light speed/reality bend his way out of this situation?")

IDW Silver:
IncelIDWSilverDurability
*Almost dies by a small building explosion*

IncelIDWSilverStopping
*Struggling to pull Master Overlord's wing out*

IncelIDWSilverMultiGrab
*Struggles to hold multiple people*

IncelIDWSilverMultiGrab2
*Struggling to hold multiple Egg Pawns in place*

ChadArchieSilverLifting
*Casually lifts multiple buildings*

ChadArchieSilverDurability
*Tanks hit from island*

ChadArchieSilverMultiGrab
*Brings everyone to a full stop by the wave of his hand*

ChadArchieSilverGrab
*Temporarily brings Super Scourge to a full stop*

Archie Silver: Observe

Yeah Silver's problem of carrying multiple people really bothered me. I mean I don't necessarily want Silver to be universe busting with his telekinesis, but that was honestly really pathetic. And that was me reading that after watching Mob Pyscho 100.

Honestly, it bothered me too, but I let that slide. Now when he nearly died by a small building explosion, that actually hurt my soul and I'm not even that big of a fan of Silver.

The small bulding explosion also hurt me as a Sonic (the character) fan.

This is why I usually don't see how flynn is often joked as "making characters op" when most of the time he kinda nerf them, he's an ok-good writer and it's very good that he doesn't focus on power, buuuutt you get the idea.

I think Ian Flynn as a writer thinks it okay to debuff a regular character, because in turn he would buff the shit out of their super forms.

I think it's a well thought out plan. It gives the fans satisfaction of how Sonic and others are when they are at their peak, but at the same time don't trade in good story telling for power fantasy. Ian truly does have the cake and eats it too.

Ok, I should probably wrote it better.

I think flynn often doesn't really care how strong or weak the characters are, whatever serves the story it works for him.

Like, for example Sonic in the archie comics was able to sometimes to **** up an entire black hole/fight with people who could create universes/fight with a guy who could control the entire ocean and other times gets knocked around by normal people or restrained by shackles.

@MYVILLAIN

^I was just about to type something like that.

The base characters really did get debuffed after Ian Flynn took over for the Archie Universe.

@MYHERO that's true.

Though he tends to be consistent in how strong characters are compared to others/narrative I think.

Like Shadow seems to be consistently stronger than Sonic, Metal Sonic takes multiple people to defeat, Sonic seems to struggle against most threats unless he has help or he is facing fodder.

Shadow being stronger than Sonic is a given considering his mindset and his inhibitor rings. I think the reason why Shadow doesn't really use that much hax when fighting Sonic is because he views him as a rival. A rival he wants to prove that he is better than by combating Sonic at his forte, physical slugfests. Or it just might be CIS but I tend to think the glass is half full.

The thing is, it's not even like that.

When Shadow is portrayed as stronger than Sonic by flynn (or well most non canon media) he is flat out stronger than him, plain overpowers him.

Kinda funny considering than most fights in game canon is the other way around.

Ah ok.

I mean, maybe he doesn't use hax because he knows if he starts doing that Sonic will do that too and counter each other.

Honestly, I think the reason Shadow sometimes loses to Sonic (aside from being weakened in Sonic Battle) is the same reason Eggman always loses to Sonic: his gigantic ego. Believing that he can beat Sonic without overusing his Chaos Powers.

Yeah, he's not weak though, Shadow says otherwise, but he's nowhere close to Super Sonic's power. Though, before the game came out and they mentioned Infinite being the most powerful villain Sonic has faced, I was really hoping he'd be so powerful, they'd have to bring back Hyper Sonic.

I really don't like the idea of Shadow having an ego. Yeah it's true for the most recent games, but I wish Shadow was just a bit more mature than that. Sonic 06 had his characters down perfectly. He felt like an older smarter person compared to the rest of the cast, and I think that's how Shadow should be. Not an edgy prideful rival stereotype.

TBH I never liked the idea that Eggman (and Shadow...and most of the cast) can beat Sonic and there's always another factor getting in the way and that Sonic got lucky.

It feels it downplays Sonic, he's cocky because he's aware of how strong he is and he isn't lying about it, when he boast his power it's because he knows he is that powerful there's some exceptions but those are little.

Plus I feel some things in the franchise don't work as well if you go with that interpretation.

Back