• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Snow Storm/Blizzard Calculations

So there are currently no instructions on how to calculate this type of stuff so I decided to find a way for it on my own.

Conditions of a snow storm
To begin with these sotms can be caused by only one type of clouds - cumulonimbus clouds. Such clouds have an average thickness of 8000 m and hover at an altitude of 200 to 4000 m so the average is 2100 m. Usually during a snow storm the temperature above ground is at least 0┬░C but clouds are different, in order for snow to form they need to drop to anywhere form -15┬░C to -40┬░C. The average temperature of the atmosphere is 15┬░C and the specific heat of air is 1.006 kJ/kg┬░K. The density of surface air is 1.225 kg/m^3 decreasing with altitude and the density of clouds is 1.003 kg/m^3.

Blizzards: Essentially the same thing but with surface air temperature of -12┬░C, severe winds of at least 56 km/h, terrible visibility and moderate to strong instability.

I forgot to mention that this is just the energy for the drop in temperature and should be added on top of the energy for creating the storm be it condensation or CAPE.

All I'm saying is that this is like a regular storm that can be calced with condensation or CAPE but there is an added tempeature drop that needs to be accounted for. I'm not quite sure if accounting for the freezing of water or potentially water vapor should be accounted for and would like some input on the issue. Also not sure as to what the initial temperature should be set at so I opted for average temperature of the atmosphere during day time but density of air is a bit tricky since we have a density for cloud it seems but just terrestrial air's density of 1.225kg/m^3 drops with altitude as showns be the links I provided.

You should ask DontTalkDT, Ugarik, Antoniofer, and Executor N0 to comment here.

No this is just making it snow... like actual snow. That's why the title says snow storms and blizzards. Ash clouds caused by volcanos or whatever have nothing in common with this.

Back