• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Small Voldemort revision

Kepekley23

VS Battles
Retired
Voldemort's profiles states the following:

• "Large Building level (His power rivals Dumbledore, whose Firestorm is this strong, and he split the Brockdale Bridge in two. He's performed spells that not even Dumbledore would dare to cast, such as Fiendfyre, which is certainly stronger than Firestorm), likely City Block level with full power (He destroyed Hogwarts' forcefield with a wand that rejected him and after having most of his Horcruxes destroyed, though the effort exhausted him)."
The revision here concerns the justification for his 8-B, which implies that Voldemort performed his 8-B feat while handicapped by his wand in order to give a "somewhat casual" impression, but this is blatantly false. The Elder Wand was not any less effective in the hands of Voldemort, the problem was that Voldemort tried to use the wand against its true master, so the wand rebelled against him in order to protect Harry in their final fight. It is outright stated that there's no real problem in using other people's wands and that they can still focus the magical power just fine.

So Voldemort and Dumbledore's profiles should be changed to "High 8-C, likely 8-B with the Elder Wand", with the justification being simply that he destroyed the Hogwarts barrier with all of the wand's power.

I think the Elder Wand statement was purely in the movie which isn't the cannon, the books are, naturally.

So yeah, I agree with Kepe

"All this long night, when I am on the brink of victory, I have sat here," said Voldemort, his voice barely louder than a whisper, "wondering, wondering, why the Elder Wand refuses to be what it ought to be, refuses to perform as legend says it must perform for its rightful owner... and I think I have the answer."

- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows; Chapter 32, The Elder Wand

The Elder Wand does not appear to be buffing or handicapping Voldemort. His possession of the Elder Wand does not change his power.

I think that Kepekley seems to make sense.

Kepekley23 said:
In the movie, by the way, the sheer effort cracked the wand a bit.
That was because the wand did not answer properly to him.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the wand malfunction while being used by Voldemort? Which is the actual reason he turned on Severus (because, theoretically, Snape would be the wand's owner).

> That was because the wand did not answer properly to him.

I don't really see proof of that myself. Considering that was the strongest spell we ever saw cast by a wizard until then and the sheer effort visibly exhausted Voldy himself, the wand cracking is perfectly reasonable.

> Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the wand malfunction while being used by Voldemort?

Just seemed like it was not giving as much of an amp as it'd be according to the legend. Which would still make Voldy's tier without the wand unquantifiable.

Also this:

> and after having most of his Horcruxes destroyed

Doesn't make any sense. Voldemorts power is not dimished by having his Horcruxes destroyed. He isn't even aware of if they're destroyed or not.

Yeah, Dumbledore in Book 6 explicitly states that regardless of how torn his soul is, Voldemort is still a master wizard, with some character flaws that might help Harry win (which ends up to be true).

> I don't really see proof of that myself. Considering that was the strongest spell we ever saw cast by a wizard until then and the sheer effort visibly exhausted Voldy himself, the wand cracking is perfectly reasonable.

IIRC, the wand is said to be unable to break (which makes that whole scene in DH Pt. 2 absurd) and thus, cracking dues to "strain" or something similar does not make. much sense to me.

> Just seemed like it was not giving as much of an amp as it'd be according to the legend. Which would still make Voldy's tier without the wand unquantifiable.

Well, it doesn't feel like Voldemort would have waited until the wand cracked (what the Hell was that film scene??) to go after Snape.

Again, film thing. Every time a horcrux was destroyed, he suffered from some kind of straining and such.

Too much film information in Voldy's profile.

Back