• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Arcker123

He/Him
A post RC world... Hopefully this can be fair

TYBW Shunsui vs Yonko BB (4.4 Petatons vs 18 Petatons. Shunsui can use shikai to Amp to 445 Petatons)

Speed =

SBA Otherwise

Shadowy Playboy (Showers):

Shadowy Pirate (Doesn't Shower):

Incon:

So a fair reminder, RC (for now) doesn't really work here due to OP's soul resistance and RC being only baseline atm. So RC ggs isn't really gonna work here. As for my actual thoughts on this matchup, I'm just gonna wait for both OP and Bleach supporters.

It's so weird seeing Blackbeard having 3 Post Keys but no Pre Keys.
No Pre-Timeskip stuff? Presumably, lack of notable feats, but surely he has some scaling, no?

I'm more concerned about something else, though:

Low-Tier Soul Resistances include:

Likely Enhanced Invisibility (Ichigo Implies[5] that Shinigami and hollows are similarly hard to perceive)

IDK Bleach in general, but does Shunsui have a physical body present?

Apparently, Blackbeard has Intermediate Level Observation & Armament Haki (IDK why Observation. I VAGUELY recall stuff about him maybe hearing the voice of all things, but I don't recall the source & am not confident my memory's accurate on that matter.) so....

Intermediate Stage: Haki users of this stage are capable of using all of the capabilities of Kenbunshoku Haki. They are able to read minds whenever they choose to, and can hear the inner voices of others whenever they wish. They can read the intent of attacks from others, allowing them to easily dodge[15]. They are capable of using this ability with their eyes closed[16][17]. They can sense the emotions of others around them as well[17][18]. Many users are capable of sensing the strength levels of others, like when Rayleigh sensed that there were 500 creatures on Rusukaina stronger than Luffy[1]. They are able to stretch out the range of their abilities to sense things at a far distance, usually spanning over several kilometers[11]. They can actively sense the presence and aura of others within their proximity, and occasionally have premonitions of the very brief future[15].

So, questions:

1. Does Shunsui have a physical body?
2. Is Shunsui's physical body present here?
3. Do we equate Haki to Reiryoku?
3-A. If yes, is Blackbeard's Haki sufficient to get around the apparently implied enhanced Invisibility of Shunsui possessed due to being a Shinigami?
4. Does Blackbeard use Observation Haki in-character?
5. Can Haki, especially that of Blackbeard's level, enable perception &/or detecting things that are only souls?

On that note, this part of SBA seems relevant:

Knowledge of the other character/verse: The characters know the direction their opponent(s) start in. Furthermore, they get knowledge of the character's appearance, equivalent to the knowledge they could have gained if they would have been allowed to briefly observe the form opponent(s) starting in using their senses of sight, hearing, smell, taste and touch (or equivalent). It's assumed that they only get the information necessary to identify the opponent(s), so abilities like Information Analysis can not be used based on this knowledge. Negative effects of the observation, such as those caused by Madness Manipulation Type 3, are assumed to not apply for this knowledge either. Aside from this, the characters have no knowledge of each other.

Bleach Shinigami can't be observed using the 5 senses listed, but I guess the (or equivalent) clause gets around that, right?

He means Irooni

The technique he used against Stark, which pretty much one shotted him in Resurrección after Shunsui attacked his hollowed chest
He picks a color on BB's clothes, and if he hits it, it causes increased damage. If he chooses a harder color to hit due to the lack of it, it deals more damage. Also, as Lephryr pointed out, it one shotted Starrk, a High 6-A

Could Blackbeard "cheat" this game?

He has the power of the Darkness Darkness Fruit, & while my knowledge is from the dub, he says it can absorb even light.
AFAIK, he can't turn into darkness, but....
Colour is light, so what if he just covers himself in darkness, or tries to use darkness to remove colour or such?

Ergo, Shunsui picks a colour, Blackbeard covers himself in darkness, which, by being devoid of light, would scientifically be "colourless", no?

If he had the knowhow, I could totally see that laugh-happy scumbag trying that, too. Or at least it'd be hilarious to see, lol.

Last edited:
IDK Bleach in general, but does Shunsui have a physical body present?
No
Apparently, Blackbeard has Intermediate Level Observation & Armament Haki (IDK why Observation. I VAGUELY recall stuff about him maybe hearing the voice of all things, but I don't recall the source & am not confident my memory's accurate on that matter.) so....

Intermediate Stage: Haki users of this stage are capable of using all of the capabilities of Kenbunshoku Haki. They are able to read minds whenever they choose to, and can hear the inner voices of others whenever they wish. They can read the intent of attacks from others, allowing them to easily dodge[15]. They are capable of using this ability with their eyes closed[16][17]. They can sense the emotions of others around them as well[17][18]. Many users are capable of sensing the strength levels of others, like when Rayleigh sensed that there were 500 creatures on Rusukaina stronger than Luffy[1]. They are able to stretch out the range of their abilities to sense things at a far distance, usually spanning over several kilometers[11]. They can actively sense the presence and aura of others within their proximity, and occasionally have premonitions of the very brief future[15].

So, questions:

1. Does Shunsui have a physical body?
Not without a Gigai, no.
2. Is Shunsui's physical body present here?
Again, not without a Gigai
3. Do we equate Haki to Reiryoku?
The two are VASTLY different. Haki is the projection of willpower, while Reiryoku is spiritual energy.
3-A. If yes, is Blackbeard's Haki sufficient to get around the apparently implied enhanced Invisibility of Shunsui possessed due to being a Shinigami?
I think he could sense his emotions and whatnot, maybe not his soul.
4. Does Blackbeard use Observation Haki in-character?
Pretty much every OP character does, and BB has shown Haki feats.
5. Can Haki, especially that of Blackbeard's level, enable perception &/or detecting things that are only souls?
Ask the OP bros like Kachon or Monkey.

Knowledge of the other character/verse: The characters know the direction their opponent(s) start in. Furthermore, they get knowledge of the character's appearance, equivalent to the knowledge they could have gained if they would have been allowed to briefly observe the form opponent(s) starting in using their senses of sight, hearing, smell, taste and touch (or equivalent). It's assumed that they only get the information necessary to identify the opponent(s), so abilities like Information Analysis can not be used based on this knowledge. Negative effects of the observation, such as those caused by Madness Manipulation Type 3, are assumed to not apply for this knowledge either. Aside from this, the characters have no knowledge of each other.

Bleach Shinigami can't be observed using the 5 senses listed, but I guess the (or equivalent) clause gets around that, right?
He'd know Shunsui is there, but not know what he's doing.
You can't cheat Shunsui's games, especially in Bankai, you get punished if you do.
He has the power of the Darkness Darkness Fruit, & while my knowledge is from the dub, he says it can absorb even light.
Colour is light, so what if he just covers himself in darkness, or tries to use darkness to remove colour or such?
Then Shunsui picks black.
Ergo, Shunsui picks a colour, Blackbeard covers himself in darkness, which, by being devoid of light, would scientifically be "colourless", no?
He can likely target black.
If he had the knowhow, I could totally see that laugh-happy scumbag, too. Or at least it'd be hilarious to see, lol.
It would ngl.

Pretty much every OP character does, and BB has shown Haki feats.
Observation Haki specifically, though?
Like @MonkeyOfLife : Can Haki, especially that of Blackbeard's level, enable perception &/or detecting things that are only souls?
Per SBA, I presume.
You can't cheat Shunsui's games, especially in Bankai, you get punished if you do.
Basis? Darkness lacking colour is just physics, if you make it so an area has no colour, is the colour picked still valid for Shunsui's ability?
& what kind of punishment?
Also, what is Bankai?
Then Shunsui picks black.

He can likely target black.
Empty outer space, for example, appears black because there isn't anything for our eyes to perceive.
An unlit room is dark because there isn't any light bouncing off of things to travel to our eyes for us to register the colours of it.
IRL, black & white are often considered not colours, because they're often just the absence or presence of light.
Coal might be black, as might some compounds & other materials, but actual darkness -Such as that of a black hole- that absorbs light doesn't have any light reflecting off of it for the eye to perceive. It is truly colourless.

If Blackbeard's darkness has such an effect on something, & he say, covers a piece of gold in it, is gold, or even "black" still valid for the thing that should now have no colour?

(Apologies if my physics is inaccurate.)
It would ngl.
Glad we're in agreement in that regard, lol.

Shunsui himself cheats the game.

Starrk has a hole in his chest. It's normally see through. Shunsui at the time was wearing primarily white (because of his captain clothes). He took off the white and picked black, leaving only his black clothes, and attacked Starrk's hole, which was blacked at the time..

So if BB chosed black and used his darkness, he would leave himself completely open to Shunsui picking black too.

Oh, you can't cheat in Bankai, that's the one. I forgot he can cheat in Shikai. Although, Shunsui's experience would be a deciding factor in recognizing when BB can cheat and use it to his advantage

Shunsui himself cheats the game.

Starrk has a hole in his chest. It's normally see through. Shunsui at the time was wearing primarily white (because of his captain clothes). He took off the white and picked black, leaving only his black clothes, and attacked Starrk's hole, which was blacked at the time..

So if BB chosed black and used his darkness, he would leave himself completely open to Shunsui picking black too.
"Blacked" as in...? I mean, an empty hole, empty space has no colour, even if it looks black? Cuz that's not how science works.
& lightless darkness is also absent of colour.

Part of me wonders if his cheating just includes treating "colourless" as "black".

I do apologize if anyone finds my debating on this point bothersome, especially as I find it interesting myself.
Oh, you can't cheat in Bankai, that's the one. I forgot he can cheat in Shikai. Although, Shunsui's experience would be a deciding factor in recognizing when BB can cheat and use it to his advantage
"Bankai"?
"Shikai"?

Tbf, is not so much "cheat", but that the game takes into consideration "apparent" color, and not a literal one.

From a shadow standpoint, Starrk's hole would make sense to count as black. It did so much damage (literal one shot) because Shunsui himself made the gamble to have the primary color on himself be black.

His bankai on the other hand is much more straightforward. Instead of games, it forces a kind of play, with each stage affecting both automatically.

"Blacked" as in...?
The hole literally just looked black from that perspective. Which we know is not the case, because it's normally an actual see-through hole.

Edit: Also, it would be faster if you read Shunsui's profile to learn what Shikai, Bankai and how he applies his techniques.

So there's this stuff.

Until further notice -AKA One Piece supporters clarifying if Haki can help perceive souls-, it's unclear if Blackbeard can see Shunsui, or just sense his intent, emotions, etc. along with the initial SBA info. (Knowledge of appearance & such according to 5 senses & initial directions.)

Although, Enhanced(?) Invisibility/lack of perceptibility of Shunsui's or not, could Blackbeard just try using Gravity Manip to pull Shunsui closer & then smack him?
There's also this:
Does the Invulnerability apply to Shunsui? Can Blackbeard hurt him despite it?

"Bankai"?
"Shikai"?
Shikai is the state where a Zanpakuto (the sword) can use its base abilities, and Shunsui's are his games. Bankai is the greater transformation, which basically buffs your abilities to their maximum. Shunsui's is like a Domain Expansion, and when you get trapped, you have to perform every "act" that's there. You can't cheat or mess up, or you get punished.

Shikai is the state where a Zanpakuto (the sword) can use its base abilities, and Shunsui's are his games. Bankai is the greater transformation, which basically buffs your abilities to their maximum. Shunsui's is like a Domain Expansion, and when you get trapped, you have to perform every "act" that's there. You can't cheat or mess up, or you get punished.
I was checking the profile a bit, but thanks a ton for this compact explanation! Do we know what the punishments are, such as for somehow cheating in Irooni?

Sorry if anyone minds me & all my questions here.

I was checking the profile a bit, but thanks a ton for this compact explanation! Do we know what the punishments are, such as for somehow cheating in Irooni?

Sorry if anyone minds me & all my questions here.
Well, you can cheat his Shikai, as Lephyr said, he himself cheats. Bankai however, you cannot. Although, it doesn't punish you, you just can't escape it. I forgot that it doesn't

Here the pages straight from the manga explaining how Irooni works:
Shunsui explains his swords make games real
Uses Irooni to showcase it to Starrk, who figures out how it works
Shunsui explains further
Finally, after changing the color on himself, Shunsui one shots Starrk, his hole cracking and wounds going through it and his chest

the anime shows this more clearly:
Here (Go to 11:15)

The penalty for not picking a good color to attack, would be that any direct hit gets reduced. Starrk mentioned he felt his entire arm being sliced, but because Shunsui picked a color that barely covered himself or his enemy, it made barely a cut. If BB tried to use "noncolors", he would barely do any damage to Shunsui.

Like @MonkeyOfLife : Can Haki, especially that of Blackbeard's level, enable perception &/or detecting things that are only souls?
Black beards obs haki is intermediate lvl, just check the haki page on obs haki and see what tiers give what

Initial obs haki has soul vision

Black beards obs haki is intermediate lvl, just check the haki page on obs haki and see what tiers give what

Oh okay, so he should be able to see, as well as hear, smell, taste, & touch a being that is only a Soul, correct?

Hearing might especially be relevant, in case Shunsui decides to explain one of his games's rules.

Incidentally, can Blackbeard do "portal shenanigans" with his Darkness abilities?
I recall he can absorb materials into his darkness, store them, as well as eject them.

Could he put darkness over his body to absorb Shunsui's sword to have it put away to not return?
Or would he need to put the darkness over a surface, like the ground, a wall, or a plank of wood?

Oh okay, so he should be able to see, as well as hear, smell, taste, & touch a being that is only a Soul, correct?

Hearing might especially be relevant, in case Shunsui decides to explain one of his games's rules.

Incidentally, can Blackbeard do "portal shenanigans" with his Darkness abilities?
I recall he can absorb materials into his darkness, store them, as well as eject them.

Could he put darkness over his body to absorb Shunsui's sword to have it put away to not return?
Or would he need to put the darkness over a surface, like the ground, a wall, or a plank of wood?
He can cover his body in darkness, but if he wanted to suck something in with it, this would come at the cost of pulling in all the debris and stuff around him at a very high speed.

Surprisingly with all the shit haki resists, Law Manip is not one of them, so BB will have to play Shunsui's games, which with Irooni, he can one shot him given he lands a but. And if Shunsui gets pushed to use Bankai, well... BB is gonna be a black stain. There's also the fact that Shikai gives him a f***ing massive boost already, one that's over 20 times higher than his durability, so one tap is blowing him to bits.

BB still has better range and Kenbun, but his invisibility will give BB trouble.

I give Shunsui a good mid-high diff estimation since his LS and shadows is the big problem here, which won't be too much for him.

BB still has better range and Kenbun, but his invisibility will give BB trouble.
Would it?

As said there, Initial Observation Haki allows one to see Spirits.

Also,
Soul Vision (Rayleigh said that Haki can see spiritual energy[10], and Usopp said that he could see spirits[23])

Of course, on the other hand, being a Shinigami apparently grants

Likely Enhanced Invisibility (Ichigo Implies[5] that Shinigami and hollows are similarly hard to perceive)

So if Initial Observation Haki grants "Soul Vision", would Intermediate let one perceived the Likely Enhanced Invisibility of a Shinigami?

Also, asking again:
Does the Invulnerability apply to Shunsui? Can Blackbeard hurt him despite it?
He can cover his body in darkness, but if he wanted to suck something in with it, this would come at the cost of pulling in all the debris and stuff around him at a very high speed.
But could he use a separate object as an alternate entrance to the darkness?
Put up a plank of wood between him & Shunsui, pull in the sword through that?
TYBW Shunsui vs Yonko BB (4.4 Petatons vs 18 Petatons. Shunsui can use shikai to Amp to 445 Petatons)
Looking at Shunsui's profile, he has 4 keys, but only 3 LS Keys, so I'm assuming his LS is his highest one.
Lifting Strength: Class M (Clashed with Starrk) | At least Class M (Stronger than before) | At least Class M
Blackbeard has 2 keys & this LS:
Lifting Strength: At least Class T (Could grab and slam Impel Down Luffy), Class E with Yami Yami no Mi (Held Marineford Whitebeard in place with his Black Hole) | At least Class E, far higher with Yami Yami no Mi (Should be far stronger than his Pre-Timeskip self)

Assuming Yonko Blackbeard is his higher key....
Class M Lifting Strength is 10^6-10^9 to kg of force.
Class E Lifting Strength is 10^18-10^21 kg of force.

IDK where exactly in those ranges their scaling points' values are, but the upper end of Class M is 1,000,000,000 kg of force & the lower end of Class E is 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 kg of force.

Billion vs a quintillion, lol. 1 quintillion divided by 1 billion also equals one billion. An actual one billion times difference in Lifting Strength.

Can Blackbeard's gravity pull on something made of Soul matter like Shunsui?
Could he do so powerfully enough to just tear Shunsui apart?
Alternatively, since Initial Observation Haki allows perception of Spirits, would Intermediate level allow him to choke Shunsui or such?

Of course, on the other hand, being a Shinigami apparently grants

So if Initial Observation Haki grants "Soul Vision", would Intermediate let one perceived the Likely Enhanced Invisibility of a Shinigami?
Intermediate haki can sense invisible things on top of soul vision, so it should be fine
Don’t really know, but Blackbeard can aoe bfr him to a different dimension which should work to deal with him

taste, & touch a being that is only a Soul, correct?
Idk… it depends, if the soul is like a human soul with no avatar for it, then haki won’t be able to do anything against that

Haki would specifically work if they have a true body under/separate from their souls one, if I remember correctly humans can interact with shinigami’s so I don’t think it’s necessary?

And if I remember correctly ichigo or humans becoming a soul/soul reaper, if they are intangible ghosts would not get affected since they are separated bodies to their human/original one?

Haki may be able to physically touch souls but it can’t damage them by doing that unless the soul can get damaged by getting touched 👁

We haven’t seen him travel to the darkness dimension but yee he can absorb things from far away with gravity

Idk… it depends, if the soul is like a human soul with no avatar for it, then haki won’t be able to do anything against that

Haki would specifically work if they have a true body under/separate from their souls one, if I remember correctly humans can interact with shinigami’s so I don’t think it’s necessary?

And if I remember correctly ichigo or humans becoming a soul/soul reaper, if they are intangible ghosts would not get affected since they are separated bodies to their human/original one?

Haki may be able to physically touch souls but it can’t damage them by doing that unless the soul can get damaged by getting touched 👁
So, it's uncertain if Blackbeard can even TOUCH Shunsui?
(& with the Enhanced Invisibility, it's a probably due to Initial Observation Haki letting see Souls & Blackbeard being Intermediate?)

We haven’t seen him travel to the darkness dimension but yee he can absorb things from far away with gravity
I presume it's also uncertain if Blackbeard can use separate objects as places to place his darkness so as to absorb things?

(Ex: Cover a rock 10 meters away in darkness, with no darkness placed between Teach & said rock, & then have said rock pull in other things into his darkness, like fired bullets?)

I presume it's also uncertain if Blackbeard can use separate objects as places to place his darkness so as to absorb things?

(Ex: Cover a rock 10 meters away in darkness, with no darkness placed between Teach & said rock, & then have said rock pull in other things into his darkness, like fired bullets?)
Yee it’s uncertain if I remember correctly

So, it's uncertain if Blackbeard can even TOUCH Shunsui?
Touching and damaging is different

It should be able to touch non physical stuff but damaging them is dependent on the non physical thing, Blackbeard or haki does not have soul manipulation

Back