• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Should we shut down the leadership board?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we shut down the leadership, then users will start to care and compete about edits. Leadership is meaningless...the hell even people don't know that exists.

Edits are something more "visible" than the leadership and the is more hard to rank up.

So IMHO i don't think is necessary.

Also, competition is sonething good, the human race was made to compete, it's what inpulse us to always try to improve ourselfs.

Then edit counts are a better way to compete i.m.h.o., since that will count all contributions equally, and not encourage people to constantly add lots of unnecessary categories, while avoiding the content revision threads.

I'm basically in the same boat as Skod, I'm a good ways into getting the 365 batch, but of course the needs of the entire wiki: i.e. maintaining a friendly atmosphere and such: come first.

@TLT1 I don't know. Probably not.

@The Living Tribunal1 You may use this page to see the details of the edits you do.

In fact that page shows the actual editcount. Your userpage shows you have done 9325 edits. Actually you have done more than that. The reason for this is there are some edits that are not taken into acount to show on your user page.

Those edits include any kind of edit that requires additional userrights. For ex: if you lock/unlock a page this edit will not be counted on your user page but the editcount page includes those edits.

I'm with the rest of you. While I do like being relatively high on this, it's not that important to me, as I don't regularly check it, and I care more about this wiki in general than The Real Cal Howard's ranking.

So should we try shutting down the board and see if it helps the wiki? If it turns out to be detrimental, we could always just set it back on again.

Well, we can see if people don't do as many constructive edits.

But hopefully this will just even things out, so that people who contribute to content revision threads are not disadvantaged compared to those who add lots of (frequently unnecessary) categories to pages.

Like I mentioned before I don't think that the leadership board does any harm to people or create any competitive animosity. I think people are genuinely concerned with contibuting to this wikia and enjoy partaking in discussion for the better. But if there is some evidence that it does then yeah, by all means do it if it is for the greater good. Me personally? I don't care about my rank or points, actually I may even say that it's a good thing as these rewards my encourage people to contribute more often. I still think it's cool when I get an achievement like that.

Mandrakk The Dark Monitor said:
Like I mentioned before I don't think that the leadership board does any harm to people or create any competitive animosity. I think people are genuinely concerned with contibuting to this wikia and enjoy partaking in discussion for the better. But if there is some evidence that it does then yeah, by all means do it if it is for the greater good. Me personally? I don't care about my rank or points, actually I may even say that it's a good thing as these rewards my encourage people to contribute more often. I still think it's cool when I get an achievement like that.
i guess i agree with that position

Well, the problem is that it mostly rewards category additions, which is not comparatively important at this point, and does not reward helping out with content revision discussions at all, which is comparatively very important.

well, if people are merely drawn in the discussion just for rewards, wont they just end up making several meaningless posts for every or few meaningfull ones?

The Living Tribunal1 said:
well, if people are merely drawn in the discussion just for rewards, wont they just end up making several meaningless posts for every or few meaningfull ones?
I don't think there is a reward system for discussion threads. Otherwise Ant, Azathoth would have crazy high number of points

Yes, I would likely have had twice as many points if there was a reward system for participating in discussions, as around half of my contributions have been there.

Antvasima said:
Yes, I would likely have had twice as many points if there was a reward system for participating in discussions, as around half of my contributions have been there.
Same here tbh. I'd be at like 3, 4k already?

Anyway, as I mentioned, there are two main reasons for this suggestion:

One is that people get motivated to spam pointless category additions just to get points, since this is the easiest way to do so.

The second is that forum moderators, such as Faisal, are disfavoured from helping out with doing their job, as are other members who help out with solving content revision topics.

We have both had ongoing problems with not enough staff members participating in important discussions, and members adding a vast amount of ridiculous categories, that others then have to clean up.

Basically, if people want to compete, it is probably better if all edits are treated equally.

After reading the posts here, it seems that most of the reasoning regarding not shutting down the Leadership Board revolves around the board motivating people to perform cheap or singular edits, which is one of the reasons we are trying to shut it down in the first place (since that generally manifests in the form of addition of nonsensical categories).

The leadership board also motivates new users to contribute on a regular basis, an important factor in hooking in members. However, the fact remains that contributing on a regular basis =/= productive contributions. In fact, it leads to a quantity > quality approach, which is strongly discouraged regarding contributions.

The second, and more important reason, is to prevent disparity between forum contributions and article contributions. In a community such as ours, of which content revision forums are perhaps the most crucial aspect, I think it is highly insulting to not reward forum contributions, yet award cheap category edits with points. Again, it leads to a quantity > quality mindset.

Furthermore, it might also cause members contributing to forums to redirect their energy to article edits instead. Some members genuinely don't care about the points system, which is commendable, but even so, it is under-valuing their efforts on our part by not recognizing their contributions publicly through the leadership board (and yes, there has been confirmation that it is not possible to have points for forum contributions).

As such, to prevent disparity, I believe we should go ahead and shut down the leadership board. Anybody opposed to this, for reasons other than badges motivating regular edits?

I agree with Lord Kavpeny.

@Skodwarde: Thank you for being so reasonable. You're one of the most dedicated members on this site, and you don't need a badge to show for it.

@TLT1: 24 hours since my previous post, which means 18 more hours after this post.

'''The leadership board has now been shut down.'''

Well given that everyone here is pretty much fine without it here and that Kavpeny himself has shut it down, i'm going to be closing this now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back