• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Shakugan no Shana revisions

The problem I have is that I agree to Power of Existence being Information, because of the whole losing your Power of Existence not just erasing you from people's memories but even removes physical evidence you ever existed. However, all this talk about Concepts is stuff I can't remember being talked about at all. So I'd prefer some evidence bing presented.

Also, that resistance to Information Manipulation and all that they get from lacking those attributes. That shouldn't be given. You don't gain resistance to something from having Nonexistent Physiology to it, you just gain Nonexistent Physiology.

Screenshots and links will be added to back this up
As I wrote in my post, I will gather additional evidence as I continue my rewatch to back those up. This is still in the project phase. However, even atthis stage, the whole first arc of the series has Shana alter the concept of Yukari Hirai's existence and mold it in such a way it and Shana herself merge together. That's also what Leanan-Sidhe did with Lamies, or what Friagne almost managed to do with Marianne, or what Tenmoku Ikko did to himself, or even what happens at the very end of the series when Yukari Hirai is brought back to existence. I also specified that such things can only achieved in human-like universes, as such things were never shown or told to be capable in the Crimson Realm, the reason being the existence of Crimson Denizens cannot be tampered with by other Denizens or Flame Hazes; which is why the Resistances specify that they shouldn't be able to resist such abilities that can mess withthe life force of otherwordly universes.

Concerning the resistance to Information Manipulation, Flame Hazes lack information and history about their humanity altogether. Shouldn't that warrant a resistance? You can't manipulate information that doesn't exist. Maybe that section should also be presented as "Limited Resistance" and specify the resistance is only about their human information, and not their Flame Haze information?

While I don't have knowledge regarding Shakugan no Shana series, I feel that determining if light novel and anime are the same canon is important as light novel and anime sometimes have different plot. (e.g. Soul Eater anime and Soul Eater manga)

I think I've heard something in the past that the anime had a few points of divergence from the light novel, particularly during the end. Though, as I've never read the light novels myself I can't say for certain.

While I don't have knowledge regarding Shakugan no Shana series, I feel that determining if light novel and anime are the same canon is important as light novel and anime sometimes have different plot. (e.g. Soul Eater anime and Soul Eater manga)
That's a good point and good time to mention this.
The light novel and anime are, for the most part, following the same canon and story events. By far the biggest difference is the last arc of the first season which is entirely anime original; it was created as a way to give S1 a "sort of conclusive" climax because, at the time, the anime staff thought they would only make 1 season and didn't predict Shakugan no Shana would become so popular that they would make more seasons. I will not be using that arc for profile making, as it bends some pre-established rules regarding Power of Existence and Crimson Realm energy. There are some things in that arc that stay in-line with the light novel and canon anime events (like character scaling, possible feats, or lore), but those won't be used on their own, and only if they don't contradict canon and if other instances of such aspects occur at other points.
The only other relevant instance of anime-original stuff is in the very first arc of the anime. However, the changes are minor, don't contradict canon events, and the movie faithfully adapts Arc 1. So, if there happens to be two different values for a same character/feat from early Shakugan no Shana, the movie value/feat will take precedence over the TV series one, to be safe.

Seasons 2 and 3 closely follow the light novel.

Unless I'm misinterpreting, most of the suggestions about the abilities are approved. For the few that are currently a bit borderline, as long as I provide screenshots and links that justify them and their nature, it should be good to go? I was planning to anyway, so it works out, and I have a good idea of where in the series those visual justifications will pop up.

I was worried the justifications for those abilities were too long and wordy. Though, after this discussion, maybe they are actually necessary to keep in order to properly and convincingly convey the exact nature of those abilities, since they touch upon the unique cosmology and inner workings of Shakugan no Shana.

Unless I'm misinterpreting, most of the suggestions about the abilities are approved. For the few that are currently a bit borderline, as long as I provide screenshots and links that justify them and their nature, it should be good to go? I was planning to anyway, so it works out, and I have a good idea of where in the series those visual justifications will pop up.

I was worried the justifications for those abilities were too long and wordy. Though, after this discussion, maybe they are actually necessary to keep in order to properly and convincingly convey the exact nature of those abilities, since they touch upon the unique cosmology and inner workings of Shakugan no Shana.
Is this fine with you, @Everything12 and @ElixirBlue ?

All of the listed revisions here I agree with for the most part. The trouble is how to establish the links and describe the unconventionality of some of the abilities without being too wordy. Especially regarding the part with Power of Existence and Soul Manipulation.

Okay. I would appreciate if knowledgeable members here are willing to provide that then, as we will not be able to proceed otherwise.

I didn't imagine things getting hasty, but okay. I fast-forwarded in my rewatch to gather the story of this character, from back when he turned from a human to a Flame Haze.
About that Spanish translation I mentioned early in the thread (here's their FB page). I went to get the bit about his story, and it's the same. Here's a basic Spanish-to-English translation:

When the prince was about to be devoured, he heard a voice "I am one of those who hates those that devour men. Discard everything that you are as a human and become my vessel; in return I will give you great power to destroy the man-eaters”. The prince threw it all away, and even though he felt those words were ominous, he accepted the payment.
The prince obtained enormous power, so he used it to drive away the monster. He thought he had become a hero, he would save the King, he would save his father, he would save the country, he would drive away the monsters, but the instant he turned towards the king...
The king had forgotten everything about the prince, the soldiers too, no one in the country remembered the prince anymore. He had ceased to be a prince, ceased to be a human, and inside him a strange voice resounded "You have discarded everything as a human. You agreed with that, right? It's what you wished for". The prince had been left alone in the world.

A Denizen devouring a person's Power of Existence is basically the first half of the process of a human turning into a Flame Haze. In both cases, humans are deprived of the entirety of their Power of Existence, aka everything that makes up their humanity, history, identity and existence in our world. Flame Hazes, by extention of being linked to a Denizen by contract, can also manipulate Power of Existence in the same way. The Denizen in the contract devours the human's PoE, but instead of stopping at just erasing the human from existence, they merge with them offering them power through the energy that resides in that Denizen, aka the energy from the Crimson Realm.
Manipulating PoE includes and translates into manipulating those concepts, as those are linked. We know Flame Hazes can actually do this, not just Denizens, with this.

Here are two extra moments around Shana becoming Yukari Hirai. Everyone else calls Shana "Yukari" or "Hirai", even the human characters who later learn about the truth of the world, as their discovery happened after the real Yukari's existence erasure. Also, despite Yukari and Shana's height difference, with Shana being identified as "Yukari" by the entire world, Shana's height became the "normal height" of "Yukari", same with their personality. In the prequel OVAs, Shana had also become someone else by merging with the remains of their existence, after that person was erased.

I won't be commenting anymore on this until more scans/quotes are presented.
I do agree collecting scans should be a focus rn. GoldenScorpions has collect a few with their latest posts but more would be nice. Also, a reference to which episode or chapter in the light novel would be nice to check.

Can you remind me and gather together if there were other things you were on the fence about or disagreed with?
I'm not disagreeing but we would need links/scans for verification before moving forward for the changes. Rn, Shana doesn't have links to anything written on her page, which does posse a problem. Do you know where we can find the source for her abilities? I can try create some scans or gifs for them.

GoldenScorpions has collect a few with their latest posts but more would be nice. Also, a reference to which episode or chapter in the light novel would be nice to check.
I will continue gathering scans as I continue my rewatch, but do realize I still have 2 whole seasons to go through, so it won't be immediate. I can add references to the respective episodes for those trickier abilities, that's not hard

Rn, Shana doesn't have links to anything written on her page, which does posse a problem. Do you know where we can find the source for her abilities?
I'm aware the Shana page is currently very incomplete (and incorrect), which was the basis for this ongoing CRT after all. It was mainly the abilities and resistances related to the SnS cosmology, lore and rules that needed to be cleared and defined, as those are the trickiest. Her other abilities are more traditional and expected (Fire manip, Swordsmanship, Flight, Martial Arts, Purification), so it's not as hard. Many of those abilities exist on the Shana wikia, where the Bureaucrat managing it is quite thorough; they simply need to be translated in VS Battles format and given a scan/reference wherever possible.
I appreciate the help, though you'd probably need the episodes for that. I got the entire series on my computer, and so I can make gifs as well.

I made a blog for the SnS profiles that I periodically update with new info, links, or scans.

shared abilities of Flame Hazes
I updated the Abilities post from above

Tell me here when I should call for Everything12 again.

shared abilities of Flame Hazes

For starters, do you have feedback or remarks concerning the updated Flame Haze abilities in this thread? Are there aspects that absolutely need extra statements to be used, and if so, which ones? Do you understand what's written, or are there confusing elements in the wording? If so, do you have suggestions to make the writing simpler?

As a side note, Denizens have almost the same abilities as Flame Hazes, except 2 differences:
The first is that Denizens have combat-applicable Existence Erasure (Crimson Denizens can "eat" the Power of Existence of humans and objects, effectively storing energy or empowering themselves while erasing the existence of someone. It requires a few seconds for the Existence Erasure process to be complete)
The other is that Denizens likely don't qualify for Nonexistent Physiology and Resistance to Information Manipulation. Whether it's in Khamsin's backstory, or Fecor acting as the "butler" of Hecate's clone, or Lamies, Denizens to seem to have a presence in the human world, unlike Flame Hazes. Whereas Flame Hazes used to be humans (creatures with PoE) whose PoE was taken away, aka people who existed in the human world in the first place but then whose existences were erased by erasing their PoE, Denizens are basically an "alien race" that aren't native to the human world and who aren't creatures with PoE in the first place, so there's nothing to be erased from a human-world perspective.

Last edited:
Thank you, though a calc member still needs to validate the calcs for them to be applied.
Low 7-B is still pretty big of a value; besides its destruction was on the slow side, as it came from Bel-Peol's key shattering. My surprise comes from Tendokyu not being as big as I thought it was.
Seireiden will be different, hopefully; Seireiden's size in S1 is very inconsistent (plus, it happens mostly during the anime-only arc, so not the most reliable anyway), but in S3 we'll see Seireiden much more clearly. A big feat I'm waiting to get to is Khamsin destroying a bunch of city blocks in Seireiden in one punch

While I continue rewatching the anime and gathering feats and calcs, there are some things I'd like to be discussed in the meantime, about Shakugan no Shana that will affect the profiles. It has to do with the unique attributes of the supernatural beings in the series + a bit of cosmology.
Besides humans, there are a few types of supernatural beings, the main two being Flame Hazes and Crimson Denizens, and they both have certain abilities as a result of their nature and cosmology. Some of those abilities are combat-applicable and some are not. My objective is to fine-tune how they should be written/presented on the profiles, as they are tricky.

I'll start with Flame Hazes. These are the shared abilities of Flame Hazes, the way I have written them for now.

In other terms, there are two "life forces" in Shakugan no Shana: the human-universe one, and the Crimson Realm one. Flame Hazes and Crimson Denizens can manipulate both, but only the life force of the universe they are currently in (i.e. only the human life force can be used in the human universe). Neither FH not CD can manipulate the energy from the Crimson Realm beyond spells; they cannot use Existence Erasure, Conceptual Manipulation, or any of the rest using the CR energy, but can do so with the human-universe energy because its nature is fundamentally different from the CR one.
As such, FH and Denizens cannot mess with each other's life force, existence or concepts, but they can mess with the human-universe life force for those things.

Any feedback is appreciated, and any questions on how things work are welcome, as they would help finetune how to best phrase everything.
@Everything12 @ElixirBlue

Would you be willing to take a look at this please?

If you write an easy to understand explanation post regarding what needs to be evaluated here, I can ask for further staff evaluation help afterwards.

That's simple, really.

First, is to review this bulk of abilities of Flame Hazes; the reason why it's important it because some of them touch upon physiologies, concepts, causality, existence erasure, etc. Many edits were made and many scans were added since the first iteration. The goal is for these abilities and their justifications to be validated so they can later be added to the profiles when they're made. As a bonus, if someone has suggestions on a better way to write all that down, it's welcome.
These are the shared abilities of Flame Hazes

Second, is to evaluate this batch of calcs.

Last edited:
As I already said, the revamped list of abilities for Flame Hazes needs to be examined and validated. That's the big thing currently preventing further work.
If something amidst the abilities cannot validated at this time, then I'd like to know what would be needed for it to be approved or what should be written instead?

Last edited:
Okay. If you explain and show everything that currently needs to be evaluated here in an easy to understand manner in a single post, I can ask for further staff help afterwards, so we can finally finish this thread.

Most of the abilities and justifications had been accepted already; only a few hadn't, which is what lead me to compile more scans and update the listing.
It's this updated version that hasn't been evaluated, yet... it's been awaiting evaluation for a month now, and unfortunately ElixirBlue didn't come back and respond... If it's only you and me talking here, obviously there won't be much progress done...

I'll just repost everything here:

Like I explained a few times already, the point is simply to evaluate if the wording, scans and justifications of the abilities make sense and are valid to be used as they are. If something is amiss, then what is the issue, what would be further needed, or how should it be presented if the current presentation isn't good enough

Last edited:
Most of the abilities and justifications had been accepted already; only a few hadn't, which is what lead me to compile more scans and update the listing.
It's this updated version that hasn't been evaluated, yet... it's been awaiting evaluation for a month now, and unfortunately ElixirBlue didn't come back and respond... If it's only you and me talking here, obviously there won't be much progress done...

Like I explained a few times already, the point is simply to evaluate if the wording, scans and justifications of the abilities make sense and are valid to be used as they are. If something is amiss, then what is the issue, what would be further needed, or how should it be presented if the current presentation isn't good enough
Thank you.

@JustSomeWeirdo @Theglassman12 @Crabwhale @Eficiente @GyroNutz @DarkGrath @Moritzva

Would any of you be willing to help out with evaluating this please? You can obviously ask questions if you wish.

@DemonGodMitchAubin @Everything12 @Duedate8898 @Planck69 @KingTempest @UchihaSlayer96 @Maverick_Zero_X @LordTracer @Emirp sumitpo

Would any of you be willing to help out with evaluating this please? You can obviously ask questions if you wish.

Back