• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Maxwell's profile smells a little bit like dog poopoo at the moment, so let's patch it up a bit.

Before we get to the meat and potatoes, the page needs a name change. Instead of just "Maxwell", it should be "Maxwell (Scribblenauts)", as there are five other Maxwells on the wiki and one of them also has no surname. I got a bit confused while I was searching for it just now.

Powers and Abilities

Removals:
  • Summoning. Summoning is bringing something to you that already exists in another location, Maxwell creates things out of thin air.
  • Immortality type 3. Maxwell can indeed make himself regenerative, but according to the profile even it's only low-mid, not regeneration from wounds that would otherwise kill him.
Additions:
  • Vehicular Mastery. Cars, boats, planes, mechas, rocket ships, you name it.
  • Information Analysis. He can see all the adjectives an object has applied to it.
  • Black Hole Resistance. In Unlimited and Unmasked, Maxwell and his family aren't affected by the pull of a black hole, while everyone else is.
  • Extrasensory Perception via Starite Vision or whatever it's called.
  • Self-Sustenance type 1. He can hang out in space without a suit without, y'know, being very dead. Along with everyone else in the Scribblenauts universe apparently.
  • Dimensional Travel with Lily's globe, since they teleported from the Scribblenauts universe to the DC Comics universe in Unmasked.
  • Madness Manipulation, he can of course make people insane by applying said adjective to them.
  • Limited extra Telekinesis and Existence Erasure. Maxwell can drag certain objects wherever he wants, and to the trash can to delete them. This is canon.
  • Time Travel with the time machine, replacing Time Manipulation. Self-explanatory.
  • Can give himself and others Small Size type 0-2 and Large Size type 0.
  • Can give himself and others Inorganic Physiology and Cyborgization.
  • Can give himself and others resistance to fire with "fireproof" adjective.
  • Can give himself and others Bodily Weaponry with "fanged" adjective and probably others.
  • Doppelganger's notebook, and thereby presumably Maxwell's notebook is bound to him so others can't use it. Not sure what exactly this is, but it seems important to include.
The P&A section could also be organized differently, separating Maxwell's natural abilities and his notebook's abilities with tabbers. Doesn't really matter, but I would like that better.

Statistics

Attack Potency/Durability

The 9-A calc probably needs a redo. As far as I know, Maxwell's age isn't confirmed anywhere in any of the games, so idk where the guy got 10 years old from other than a guess. Even Maxwell's profile lists his age as unknown. Instead of using the average height of a 10 year old, I'd use the average height of an adult male, scaling the building from the guy next to Maxwell in this screenshot. Their sprites are about the same height anyway.

I tested some weapons other than a basic sword to see how they fare, and an RPG was able to destroy the same colossal steel skyscraper in three shots. The original calc had pulverizing the skyscraper as 5923702100 joules, so 5923702100/3 = 1974567366.67 joules, 0.47 tons of TNT, Building level. The recalc I proposed would make it higher than this, but still probably in the 8-C range. So Maxwell can get an "up to 8-C with weapons" rating.

In Unmasked, the "colossal steel skyscraper" is about the same height relative to Maxwell as it is in Unlimited and uses an identical sprite. In this game, the RPG can destroy it with one shot, giving it the full 5923702100 joules in this appearance, which would actually be a Building level+ rating by my understanding. Maxwell could also somewhat physically scale to the RPG here, since he can withstand multiple blasts from it, unlike in Unlimited where it one-shots him, and he can harm people with his fists who can also withstand the RPG's shots. Maxwell's Unmasked appearance is clearly much stronger than his appearance in the previous games, likely due to the heavier focus on action, so this would make sense to me. Anything's better than having the exact same ratings as the previous key for every stat, rendering it a waste of space (as it is currently).

A couple notebook feats to look at would be the tsunami, and the nuclear explosion could probably be calculated. In the Kana Craters (moon) stage in Unlimited, there's a non-notebook-created, perfectly natural "colossal Earth" up in the background, that a character actually flies closer to and lands on, and that can of course be modified using the notebook. The intent is clear here, and I have seen characters with separate tiers for the potency of their hax, so it would be important to establish the potency of Maxwell's notebook in the games. This here would be 5-B.

Speed

Right now it's listed as unknown, for no reason. Maxwell's movement speed I'm sure could easily be calculated or just estimated, including his speed with adjectives like "supersonic". I'm sure even I could do it, if I had the energy. Aside from his walking speed, it's relatively easy to dodge bullets and rockets by jumping over them after they're fired, which would give Maxwell a reaction upgrade at least.

Range
Likely interplanetary with black holes and meteors
Black holes can't even suck in things from across a level, meteors I shouldn't need to explain. And that's everything the profile says about Maxwell's range.
We can probably just go with the obvious, standard melee range, longer with some melee weapons, hundreds of meters with firearms. Probably planetary with his notebook since he can modify Earth from the moon. Interdimensional teleportation range with Lily's globe since it teleported them to the DC Comics multiverse.

Other Stuff

Keys

Maxwell's first key is for "Scribblenauts and Super Scribblenauts", but it uses a feat from Unlimited to justify his tier. And there is no key for his Unlimited self. I haven't played all the way through the DS games, but I have a feeling there's some interesting exclusive stuff there.

I haven't read the Crisis of Imagination comic, but following the trend of other multi-media characters like Sonic and Kirby, Maxwell from the games and Maxwell from the comic could have separate pages. The key for Maxwell's entire comic self on the current profile only lists the 2-A stuff from what sounds like a final battle powerup, so that would probably have to be changed.

Non-Maxwell stuff

Doppelganger's profile would have to be changed in accordance with some of this, and just has to be changed in general. It's bad.
Making more profiles is always a possibility, but I feel like most non-Maxwell profiles wouldn't have much substance to them, other than maybe the DC characters from Unmasked. Brainiac possibly would've destroyed the multiverse (52 universes) if he were allowed to "become one" with the others, but he might've just meant killing everyone.

Last edited:
Attack Potency/Durability
Accepted calculations are needed for most of these changes like 8-C. I guess I could see 5-B being fine; though, it is possible it could be calculated to much higher.

Speed

Right now it's listed as unknown, for no reason. Maxwell's movement speed I'm sure could easily be calculated or just estimated, including his speed with adjectives like "supersonic". I'm sure even I could do it, if I had the energy. Aside from his walking speed, it's relatively easy to dodge bullets and rockets by jumping over them after they're fired, which would give Maxwell a reaction upgrade at least.
I checked; supersonic is a valid adjective in Scribblenauts unlimited so he could have the speed via adjective. The other topics should get calculations.
  • Summoning. Summoning is bringing something to you that already exists in another location, Maxwell creates things out of thin air.
  • Immortality type 3. Maxwell can indeed make himself regenerative, but according to the profile even it's only low-mid, not regeneration from wounds that would otherwise kill him.
He could summon others like Mr. Mxyzptlk so I don't think it should be removed.

I think it was clarifying if characters could regenerate from lethal wounds (which start at low-mid), they would qualify for Type 3 Immortality. It kind of matches the definition so I don't see the need of removing it.
3: Immortality via regeneration: Characters with this type of immortality can simply regenerate from wounds that would normally be lethal, though its effectiveness depends on the degree of the regeneration.
Maxwell's first key is for "Scribblenauts and Super Scribblenauts", but it uses a feat from Unlimited to justify his tier. And there is no key for his Unlimited self. I haven't played all the way through the DS games, but I have a feeling there's some interesting exclusive stuff there.
I guess adding Unlimited to the first key seems fine as I think it was an oversight; most of the abilities are from Unlimited anyway.

I haven't read the Crisis of Imagination comic, but following the trend of other multi-media characters like Sonic and Kirby, Maxwell from the games and Maxwell from the comic could have separate pages. The key for Maxwell's entire comic self on the current profile only lists the 2-A stuff from what sounds like a final battle powerup, so that would probably have to be changed.
Technically, a power-up key seems fine. I don't think it changes much in terms of abilities or statistics, from what I remember for the earlier story.
Though, I recall Maxwell made these statements about ideas which would be like adjectives or concepts within the verse; I think it makes conceptual manipulation type 1 since they are independent of association (Scribblenauts Unmasked: A Crisis of Imagination Issue # 18); I could handle it in another thread.

I am fine with the others things the abilities additions.

Can't you destroy galaxies by summoning it?
Yeah, but I didn't mention that because they and other celestial objects Maxwell creates really act like miniature floating replicas, which I presume is why Maxwell isn't already 3-C or 3-A with his notebook. In Unmasked, Maxwell can also annihilate a galaxy/universe of his creation with his bare hands in ~32 hits, probably putting him at tier 4 or 3 physically if they are actually what they represent, which is a pretty big outlier based on what else he can do and what can harm him.

So far Hop approves the name correction, very sensible, surprised this was not already done.

As for additions/stats:

Hop disagrees with immortality vis regen, as that's not how the mechanics of the game work in accordance with the wiki's definition. Hence he already has low-mid, it'd be a touch hypocritical/paradoxical.

With the AP changes and feats like "destroying a universe, etc" its somewhat a combination of artistic interpretation (who is to say Maxwell is only making something that simply looks like a universe for his and our benefit), Hop would keep anything that isn't an approved calc, as is.

Hop will contribute more soon.

Statistics
the energy. Aside from his walking speed, it's relatively easy to dodge bullets and rockets by jumping over them after they're fired, which would give Maxwell a reaction upgrade at least.
Hop wants to clarify, this could be an outlier, as we can't say these feats (player inputs, mostly) are going to scale much to Maxwell's "base" (that is to say without equipping things to himself with superhuman capabilities, such as a pair of "fast lightweight sneakers" that he's putting on just to accomplish said feat(s). The keys should clarify his base vs augmented. And how is it an outlier? Well, the bullets and similar projectiles don't really move much faster than say, cars, animals and other things that should either scale to the bullets, or the bullets should be accepted as slower than a real-life counterpart.

It's pretty much stats
Hop disagrees with immortality vis regen, as that's not how the mechanics of the game work in accordance with the wiki's definition. Hence he already has low-mid, it'd be a touch hypocritical/paradoxical.
I am sure it worked like this case for years; as long characters could regenerate from lethal injuries they could qualify such as explained in a point by Promestein in 2017.
The definition seems to support it anyway.

That said, it isn't acknowledged in any form other than player involvement, which is hard to argue if it is "definitive" in terms of immortality. Everything interactive about the game, it is part of the character and player input, but by no means is the character himself to be brought back from death, or near-death canonically.
Prom's point is sound and means well, but Hop still agrees with this standpoint. Maybe Hop is just too argumentative, because while insisting this line of thinking is fine, but it does not apply to this character.

Once dead, regen isn't an option. It's never been demonstrated, even with player input. It solely exists for gameplay reasons and even then isn't intended to keep the character alive via continuous combat. That is like saying "as long as you eat in Minecraft, Steve lives forever" because it will indirectly factor into his healing. If that was the case, we could justify for nearly every character that isn't outright programmed ("intended") to die via regeneration, because they effectively avoided death in-game. You aren't immortal because you have the ability to slam a supernatural health potion or loads of food into you, causing the healing. If that was so, every single RPG character, FPS character and so on would also apply to this logic, which is insane to Hop.

Maxwell doing the same doesn't make it a substantial immortality argument. The case of "he'll continue to live if we force game mechanics down his throat" is flawed. Gameplay =/= abilities all the time. Hop disagrees he is immortal in any form.

Isn't he already crazy powerful enough? He can summon most of the strongest dc gods, and he has a whole arsenal of hax with those adjectives he can manipulate at his disposal

Isn't he already crazy powerful enough? He can summon most of the strongest dc gods, and he has a whole arsenal of hax with those adjectives he can manipulate at his disposal
yes, but more power is not bad, it would only be necessary for him to defeat a god who defeats someone else,i don't know,the creator itself who has the magical notebooks that can alter the plot of the game,

and that he is in a place with an infinite number of books that are stories that he can make and destroy, and maxwell frees everyone, well, he got him from another place

yes, but more power is not bad, it would only be necessary for him to defeat a god who defeats someone else,i don't know,the creator itself who has the magical notebooks that can alter the plot of the game,

and that he is in a place with an infinite number of books that are stories that he can make and destroy, and maxwell frees everyone, well, he got him from another place
Makes sense

wait, what happened to maxwell recreating the dc multiverse? when they said dc multiverse, they said the multiverse (the 52 universes that are infinite universes and multiverses) or indeed the entire dc multiverse (the omniverse with infinite multiverses, infinite dimensions, the god sphere, speed force, monitor sphere, overvoid and stuff)

Not entirely sure, I haven't read that comic aside from playing the games

Doppelganger's profile definitely needs a redo.

•He scales to the same 2-A feat that Maxwell does. He was right beside Maxwell when it happened, and took the Anti-Monitor's attack. Later on, he fights the Anti-Monitor.

•His name gets changed to Alexander at the end of the comic series.

•He should have all of Maxwell's notebook powers due to having a single page from it. He also gets Transmutation via transforming Cheeta into a minotaur I believe.

I can probably link scans in a bit, having trouble finding the comic online.

Doppelganger's profile definitely needs a redo.

•He scales to the same 2-A feat that Maxwell does. He was right beside Maxwell when it happened, and took the Anti-Monitor's attack. Later on, he fights the Anti-Monitor.

•His name gets changed to Alexander at the end of the comic series.

•He should have all of Maxwell's notebook powers due to having a single page from it. He also gets Transmutation via transforming Cheeta into a minotaur I believe.

I can probably link scans in a bit, having trouble finding the comic online.
wait the doplenganger is Alexander?

Screenshot_20220416-162242_Gallery.jpg

Here's Doppganger renaming himself

Screenshot_20220416-162317_Gallery.jpg

^ Also, Maxwell and Doppelganger should have interstellar range via this. At least with adjectives.

Also also, when writing in the notebook, time stops. Is this a game mechanic, or could Maxwell have timestop?

It feels weird when someone has a name similar to mine,but i remember,the name is a name,what you are is what you are and that is not decided by a name

Also, I think celestial bodies acting the way they do in the games could actually just be written off as game mechanics. A natural "colossal earth" in Unlimited is shown to be actually planet-sized, but is still interactable from Maxwell's layer and is identical to a "colossal earth" that Maxwell could create, aside from being functionally indestructible for the sake of reaching the ultra-bare minimum for apparent sense-making. No functional limits are established for Maxwell's notebook in the games' lore to my knowledge. So really, the notebook being able to create and destroy planets, stars, galaxies, etc. makes perfect sense.

Also, I think celestial bodies acting the way they do in the games could actually just be written off as game mechanics. A natural "colossal earth" in Unlimited is shown to be actually planet-sized, but is still interactable from Maxwell's layer and is identical to a "colossal earth" that Maxwell could create, aside from being functionally indestructible for the sake of reaching the ultra-bare minimum for apparent sense-making. No functional limits are established for Maxwell's notebook in the games' lore to my knowledge. So really, the notebook being able to create and destroy planets, stars, galaxies, etc. makes perfect sense.
It is said multiple times that the limit is the imagination, but, I don't know what that refers to, but considering that Maxwell can recreate the entire DC multiverse and it was not shown in any way that this was the limit, maybe actually in a future game let's see the true power of the book

all the times I've heard that phrase, it actually means "there is no limit, go nuts" :v
yes, but the only 'limit' is technically that you can't use bad words (which makes sense because they aren't words that are actually used) like writing shit, but that would be a bad word, but if I use poo, it will appear a poop in front

Screenshot_20220416-162411_Gallery.jpg

He doesn't even need to know what an item is in order to create it lol
That's actually kind of broken. Imagine you give him limited Prior Knowledge of an opponent and one of their weaknesses is some specific item. He can just Spawn it without actually knowing what it is, he just needs to know it's name and gg. It's like some Death Note shit.

Back