• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

SCP Discussion Thread 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agnaa

VS Battles
Administrator
Calculation Group
Translation Helper
Gold Supporter
Nah, golachav verse got downgraded so hard it got deleted, tier 0 to not even being on the site.

Monarch of pointland gets profile manipulation when

The Monarch stomped Undoubtedly First so hard that he needs a computer to do his stuffs now

Quick, explain golachav to me before this stops getting derailed.

Really obscure Russian sci fi novels with extremely high tiers and low quality profiles, people got skeptical, a revision was supposed to take place and it took forever, they just deleted the verse. A6 seems to be uninterested in remaking it.

Phoenix821 said:
At least I got the last comment on the thread.
Wrong?

Dargoo gets information manipulation for making the 502nd post when there's a limit of 500 posts per thread?

Dargoo said:
The SCP-682 termination log I feel like is the best example I can give, in terms of actually causing broken changes to come to the wiki on the flip of a dime. I linked the lolFoundation verse because I thought you were implying that they "deleted all of them/stopped taking them seriously", to which I point at the page ratings.
They did stop taking them seriously. That's why they're not canon and are part of an alternate universe. And a lot of the lolFoundation pages were in fact deleted. The new lolFoundation hub is "lolFoundation with consequences", often taken a slightly dark look at the reality of a world where there's only one foundation site where all the seniors are insane reality warpers who think they're saving the world but are actually leaving it desolated.

@Existential Weekly's trying to prove Dargoo wrong when he said
There is no multiversal explanation. That's something you're assuming because there's no other way to accept the fact that the Foundationverse breaks nearly every rule this site has as it was.

Weekly, you're not getting my point at all.

My point is that there cannot be a unified view of the Foundation cosmology because we can only go off of different interpretations by different authors who have nothing to go off of each other.

You can link me all thea articles you want, but unless

A) The Staff on the site actually back a multiverse (Which they don't as they back there being no consistent view of the site's lore)

or B) Every single user has written stories that confirm one,

you have no way of proving it.

@Dargoo Im currently getting proof that multiple authors have written a consistent multiverse because there is mor ethan enough proof to back it up

Wait a sec.

Would you be fine with treating all stories by all authors with statements (or statements in canon hubs they contributed to) of a multiverse as being part of the same multiverse, due to them having a consistent cosmology?

Agnaa said:
Wait a sec.
Would you be fine with treating all stories by all authors with statements (or statements in canon hubs they contributed to) of a multiverse as being part of the same multiverse, due to them having a consistent cosmology?
That doesn't confirm they are part of the same multiverse, just part of a multiverse.

You still have the same issue of treating two completly different works as part of the same narrative.

You're saying that the SCP Canon needs stricter regulations because it's inconsistent, but it really isn't. You're either misinterpreting stuff, or saying that explanations aren't there when they are.

WeeklyBattles said:
The foundation isnt as inconsistent as youre trying to argue that it is
SCP-106 has three different backstories linked on its profile.

There are multiple contradictory SCPs that explain the afterlife .

There are contradictiory tales and SCPs on what a "narrative" is.

Like it or not each 001 tells a different story, and there are tales and stories revolving around them that would contradict each other. We even have regular SCPs referencing 001 entries. I understand they claim that some of them might be fabrications, but clearly that's not where the rest of the site is taking it.

I can keep on going on. Again, I feel it's enough of an issue to warrant resitrctions, and other agree.

2718 could be interpreted as a cognitohazard that comes with that method of reviving people, where upon revival they experience their time dead as that, and when communicating it with others it makes them extremely paranoid about death (hinted at by the tag of "infohazard", as well as 05-11 saying "it is plain that we have lost all reason. There is only one possible explanation for this. Therefore I am declaring Emergency Protocol 17. Remain where you are; we shall all be administered class A amnestics. Except you, Roger. We made a grave error releasing you from containment, and it will be corrected."

There's also implications that thinking that this could be the afterlife makes it the afterlife, hinted at by quotes such as "Is belief the key?" and multiple other things that I've forgotten.

I haven't read the articles but I'd assume that there are non-contradictory explanations for all of them.

"I understand they claim that some of them might be fabrications, but clearly that's not where the rest of the site is taking it."

I haven't heard any interpretation other than that some are fabrications about the 001 proposals.

Agnaa said:
2718 could be interpreted as a cognitohazard that comes with that method of reviving people, where upon revival they experience their time dead as that, and when communicating it with others it makes them extremely paranoid about death (hinted at by the tag of "infohazard", as well as 05-11 saying "it is plain that we have lost all reason. There is only one possible explanation for this. Therefore I am declaring Emergency Protocol 17. Remain where you are; we shall all be administered class A amnestics. Except you, Roger. We made a grave error releasing you from containment, and it will be corrected."
There's also implications that thinking that this could be the afterlife makes it the afterlife, hinted at by quotes such as "Is belief the key?" and multiple other things that I've forgotten.

I haven't read the articles but I'd assume that there are non-contradictory explanations for all of them.
That's the issue. You have to make headcanons and assumptions, nothing that is actually backed by the story. If these were from authors licensed by the same company, officially writing for a verse, I'd back you 100%, hands down. But it's not. These authors can add stuff to the site with no regards to the verse, and the only bar keeping that from happening is upvotes, and downvotes.

We make assumptions for every verse on this wiki. We cant do calculations in general without some assumptions

We make reasonable assumptions until those assumptions are shown unreliable. There's a reason why Marvel/DC have different powerscaling rules to verses in general, because those verses haven't betrayed that assumption while Marvel/DC have.

WeeklyBattles wrote:
We make assumptions for every verse on this wiki. We cant do calculations in general without some assumptions
<p />

We usually don't have to make assumptions on what's canon and not canon. Especially if there is backing to the fact that there is no consistent story, and it is stated that you can interpret the verse however you'd like.

@Dargoo Faust We certainly do have to make assumptions on what's canon and not canon.

I'm slowly working through revisions on an anime adaptation for a light novel. Since there's a lot of dialogue, it often uses extreme or abstract imagery in the background of characters talking. In one scene an ordinary high school girl has a literal coal-esque mine in her house constructed entirely out of books, loading piles of books into dozens of mining carts and hauling them out.

Given that extreme imagery is often used, the mine is never mentioned in dialogue, and there's no canonical reason for her to have a mine in her house, that is assumed to be non-canon.

I'm sure if we got people involved in other verses we'd find tons of accepted verses where sometimes you have to decide what is and isn't canon.

Ok, I agree that the canonicity of each SCP is muddied by the fact that different people interpret things differently. We can apply standards to SCP mainlist objects, but the God tiers are not mainlist, or at least not all of them. They have a canon outside the mainlist that we can't just ignore. Mekhane is mentioned in modern day scips like the Church of the Broken God and SCPs of the like, but he is also mentioned in ancient Chinese scips. I don't recall the numbers, but there were a few SCPs that had a continuity with the iron needles and whatnot.

We can apply standards to the extended canon just as much as we do for the mainlists. We just have to establish what is consistent, what isn't outlier, and what is self contained or shared.

Dargoo Faust wrote: We usually don't have to make assumptions on what's canon and not canon. Especially if there is backing to the fact that there is no consistent story, and it is stated that you can interpret the verse however you'd like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back