• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Scaling Powers and Resistances

I've seen many verses scale off of themselves resistance wise, and sometimes power wise. The only one that comes off my mind is BlazBlue, I.E: Nine the Phantom, stated to have Sleep Manipulation via being a better alchemist than Cipher.

As for resistances, I see this for a lot of other verses, but nothing comes to mind at the moment.

Regardless, what is the consensus on this? Yay nor nay?

wym "resistance wise"? Oryx, the Taken King's resists scale to his own powers but there's an in verse reason for that, I wouldn't be able to do that otherwise.

I don't think that "better alchemist so same power" should be used without further context supporting this, but with the right background it could become acceptable.

Like, one character resists a power, yeah? Another character is stronger, or comparable to the character who resisted said power. Is it okay to scale a resistance from that?

Resistances do not scale to others unless stated, or they have a common basis, like, willpower makes you resistent to mind control, so character with equal or higher willpower than the one that resisted it first would have equal or higher resistance.

Not without some further in verse elaboration

I've scaled like this a few times.

If a character resists Death Manipulation because as a vampire they can regenerate from induced death, and another stronger vampire comes along, I'd assume they can regenerate from induced death too.

If there's an extremely basic and learned power among a group of people (i.e. alchemists), and there's a stronger person within that group, I'd assume that they have that basic power. But if it's a power that requires a certain amount of ingenuity to do/apply in that way, or if it's a power that isn't learned, I'm not okay with scaling it.

tl;dr yes but only if it's intrinsic to a race, or if it's a basic learned skill among a group

Someone stronger could be argued to have the same resistance if theirs a reason for it but resistances are not linked to teir/strength so you wouldn't have a stronger form of resistance just from being more powerful..

Agnaa said:
I've scaled like this a few times.
If a character resists Death Manipulation because as a vampire they can regenerate from induced death, and another stronger vampire comes along, I'd assume they can regenerate from induced death too.

If there's an extremely basic and learned power among a group of people (i.e. alchemists), and there's a stronger person within that group, I'd assume that they have that basic power. But if it's a power that requires a certain amount of ingenuity to do/apply in that way, or if it's a power that isn't learned, I'm not okay with scaling it.

tl;dr yes but only if it's intrinsic to a race, or if it's a basic learned skill among a group
I was under that impression too, but I'm just reading and watching for input.

This stuff would fall under what I'm classing as "in verse reasons to do so", I think the more important focus rn would probably be default assuming no elaboration

Back