• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Desolate Era CRT: Soul, Mind and Dao Layers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Planck69

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator

Introduction

This is a general revision to tackle hax layers, the unity of mind and soul, as well as the nature of the soul in the setting of the Daos.

Unity of the Mind and Soul

The soul and mind are indistinct in nature and function, which can be seen with the Nuwa Visualisation Technique protecting the soul but simultaneously resisting illusions, divine sense negating bewildering formations while being a mark of soul strength and memories and thoughts being directly stored in one's soul[443].

In addition, we see even more proof of the unity of mind and soul below. In the setting, advancing in one's training of the will improves the strength and resilience of the soul. This will is unanimous with the Dao Heart.
It was extremely hard to progress in the soul, but in the path of Immortals, the soul was incomparably important. Only a sufficiently powerful soul would be able to command ever-greater amounts of elemental energy. If an ordinary mortal was in possession of the elemental energy of an Immortal, there was only one possible outcome; he wouldn’t be able to tame the elemental energy, which would wildly burst forth and shatter his bones and his flesh, slaying him.

Advancing in the soul was something which could be done through visualization techniques, through gaining comprehension into the Dao, through strengthening the body to support the soul, or through training one’s will.

Training the will…another phrase for it might be training one’s Dao-heart!
Ning had already reached the ‘divine will’ level when he was eleven. In the past five years, Ning had made astonishing amounts of progress with regards to comprehending the Dao, eventually reaching the Dao Domain level. Clearly, this had all been very beneficial to his soul.

~ Desolate Era, Book 6, Chapter 31

The Dao Heart, a manifestation of his will, allows him to withstand mental attacks, which are said to seep into his soul

“How is this possible? I could clearly sense that I was quite awake. I wasn’t…” Daolord Laya’s voice slowly trailed off. Moments later, he let out a low sigh. “What a terrifying illusion. It actually was able to seep into my soul without me even realizing it. The things that I thought I saw were actually all illusory. My Dao-heart still isn’t strong enough, allowing my soul and truesoul to be infiltrated without me knowing it.”

~ Desolate Era, Book 31, Chapter 10

Therefore, the mind and soul are undivided in the setting, and not only would one need to affect souls to affect their minds but resistance of one aspect of attacks translates to the rest (In this case, Mind Manipulation, Soul Manipulation, Illusion Creation, Memory Manipulation and Empathic Manipulation would share the same level of potency and resistance).

Soul/Mind Layers

So, as can be seen above, each level of cultivation as well as heartforce grants an increased layer of both hax and resistance to mind, soul, illusion, perception, and memory manipulation abilities.

Nature of the Soul and Daos

When one's mastery of the Daos reaches the level of a Dao Domain, they transform qualitatively and become one with their Dao[422]. Their souls evolve to be manifestations of their Daos.

Within his sea of consciousness.

Ning’s soul suddenly transformed into a sword, an incomparably dazzling sword. This was the sword-soul, which only a Sword Immortal who had truly reached the Grand Dao Domain level would possess. This was a fundamental change, an evolution of the soul.

Whoosh.

The sword suddenly transformed into Ji Ning’s appearance…but the spirit-Ning faintly emanated with the light of a sword.

~ Desolate Era, Book 10, Chapter 25

This is taken a step further in the Celestial Immortal realm, where all the unique energies of the body are fused with the power of the soul and elevated to a higher state transforming on a fundamental level.

Whoosh…

An enormous flood of natural power began to gather around Immortal Diancai. His body now began to manifest the ‘aura of an Immortal soul’, something which one would have only after becoming a Celestial Immortal. His energy was transforming on a fundamental level as well.

From the Zifu stage to the Void stage, one merely had ‘elemental ki’.

After becoming a Celestial Immortal, the power of the soul and all other powers would completely merge into one power. The lotus-bud at the top of the Goldlotus Primal would draw in the essence of all the other types of power, fusing them into one and then refining them into a single brilliant golden pellet, a ‘Jindan’.

~ Desolate Era, Book 14, Chapter 24

Why is this important? Let's start by quickly re-establishing what we know about Daos and Prime Essences.

As was already accepted, a Realmverse i.e. a "universe" in this context is a 7-dimensional space-time. Daos exist in all things[91] and the forces of the Grand Daos of Space and Time alone allow Subhuti to manipulate both a higher spatial dimension and alternate temporal dimension from the standard 4-dimensional space-time model. While Daos are generally the governing principle of the world that existed since the creation of the endless universe[38], all Daos are the outer emanations of the prime essences that make up a particular reality.[355] As such, Daos are a step below the Prime Essences of the 7-dimensional Realmverse and 6-dimensional in scope and potency, a level of dimensionality Subhuti directly showcases with his feats.

Since even Grand Daos can vary in potency and the Daos of Space and Time are among the apex, generalizing the level of potency Subhuti showcases to all of them would be presumptive. However, Heavenly Daos are the most fundamental concepts, underpinning the functioning of the universe.[425] There are 10 Heavenly Daos which are the foundations of reality.[429] Of all the 10 of them, the Dao of Primordial Chaos reigns supreme throughout reality, as it is the source of all things, including Yin and Yang, Life and Destruction, and the Five Elements.[431]

After mastery of a Heavenly Dao, cultivators at the Elder God level of cultivation and above attune themselves the the essences of the fundamental concepts such as the sword, darkness, etc.[439] This would give Ancestral Immortals and World level beings souls of at least the 6-dimensional level, given they are direct manifestations of their Dao as established above.

This would not only give them resistance to Soul Manipulation, Illusion Creation, Memory Manipulation, Mind Manipulation, Conceptual Manipulation (Type 2), and Law Manipulation on that level but it'd also add levels of resistance and potency for the latter two abilities in the same manner as the layers of mind/soul resistance established above. Since their energies and powers are unified and elevated after the formation of their Jindans, this extends to the rest of their abilities.

TL;DR​

• Mind and soul are the same thing in the setting.
  • An increase in cultivation or heartforce adds a layer of mind/soul resistance and hax potency to cultivators. This applies to essentially all of their abilities after the Celestial Immortal level.
  • Souls become abstract manifestations of Type 2 concepts after mastering a Dao Domain.
  • Celestial Immortals and beyond have all their powers become conceptual as the soul merges with all their other powers.
  • Ancestral Immortals/Elder Gods and World Gods/Chaos Immortals have 6-dimensional hax potency and souls.
  • Changes currently only apply to Yu Wei, Ji Ning, and Subhuti.

Agree: 8 (Damage3245, Elizhaa, UchihaSlayer96, Planck69 (Original Poster), Setsuna tenma, XDragnoir, Serlock_Holmes, Rikimarox2)

Disagree:

Neutral:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back