• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Sans' Durability

Despite having only 1 Def and HP, Sans DID tank a hit from Chara and didn't die immediately after. He even kept his body together and managed to walk away a few feet before dying. Would that count as a durability feat for him?

Arthur melo said:
No, he's not one of those monsters that have the ability to withstand a few moments after die?
He clearly got up, and walked off-screen. Sans IS a Boss Monster, after all. He doesn't instantly turn to dust after being struck, like most monsters. One could even say he got cut in half, and continued to walk away. Furthermore, he still had the strength to say a few sentences before actually dying.

That's more like a staminia feat rather than dura. The attack clearly cut through him like butter, he just survived being in half for a few moment before dying.

Saikou The Lewd King said:
That's more like a staminia feat rather than dura. The attack clearly cut through him like butter, he just survived being in half for a few moment before dying.
This. Yeah, I'm not agreeing with it being a durability argument. Props to Sans for actually trying to shrug the attack off, not many get cut up like that, and try to walk it off.

But isn't it technically durability in the same way Meruem surviving the nuke was since he wasn't completely vaporized by being near the slash?

Blahblah9755 said:
But isn't it technically durability in the same way Meruem surviving the nuke was since he wasn't completely vaporized by being near the slash?
This is actually a good point. Most characters, were they to be hit my something immensely above their durability class, would realistically just sort of explode. Anyone have a counterpoint?

ThePerpetual said:
This is actually a good point. Most characters, were they to be hit my something immensely above their durability class, would realistically just sort of explode. Anyone have a counterpoint?
As long as the said character do not have some kind of ability that allow him/her to prolong his/her life. Otherwise he/she should have close to AP durability.

I mean, Sans' durability is supposed to be atrocious in-canon. And besides, we can't really pin a precise value for his durability based on him surviving only a few seconds longer than everyone else and stumbling away. So it will stay Unknown.

Not only would Sans having anywhere near Chara's level of dura would be incrediblt inconsistent with canon, the attack most likely only countained cutting power, thus wouldn't send him flying.

I guess it could also be something like, Frisk/Chara was feeling less determined with their attacks, as most people at that point were no longer determined to try to hit Sans and were just hitting the edge of the hit box (not sure what to call that thing), but even if the slash only had cutting power it would still vaporize him with a small amount of Friction alone, but anyway, he should still probably stay at unknown regardless since we don't know how strong Frisk/Chara was at this point, or how determined their strikes were.

Question, can't even Sans casually survive in a place like Hotland? I'm pretty sure that that place apparently can evaporate styrofoam instantly or soemthing like that.

ThePerpetual said:
Question, can't even Sans casually survive in a place like Hotland? I'm pretty sure that that place apparently can evaporate styrofoam instantly or soemthing like that.
He likely can. He was asleep on the outskirts, after all. Even the absolute weakest monsters seem to be at least around wall level.

Styrofoam evaporation in hotland is a joke feat, else the papers lying around would be burning and hotdogs couldn't exist. Neither could a glass of water, cooking ingredients or, you know, a water cooler.

In the first place Styrofoam and similar substances don't evaporate, but making a guess that the temperature necessary for such a phenomen is less then 300┬░C would still mean just street level.

He assumes that it vaporized in less then a second, which isn't the case here I believe .

It was exposed to the heat longer than that I think.

DontTalk said:
He assumes that it vaporized in less then a second, which isn't the case here I believe .
It was exposed to the heat longer than that I think.
It was vaporized as soon as Frisk crosses the threshold into Hotland. Holding it outside of that does not seem to affect it.

DontTalk said:
In the first place Styrofoam and similar substances don't evaporate, but making a guess that the temperature necessary for such a phenomen is less then 300┬░C would still mean just street level.
Styrofoam starts to melt at 240┬░C and starts to vaporize at 300┬░C. But it's for the most durable one. Most styrofoams start to melt at 100-180┬░C.

Yamatohime said:
To make matters more funny I found that most of those cups made of polymers that starts to melt at 60-75┬░C.
I don't think cups are made with extreme temperatures in mind, well besides the drug sludge commonly refered to as coffe

Well considering that these cups were made to be usable in hotland, they are probably more durable than most.

But why do we think this apply to base Frisk exactly? Despite being in a non-battle sequence, Frisk could always have used Determination there.

Well considering that these cups were made to be usable in hotland, they are probably more durable than most.
If they were made for hotland I would hope they don't vaporize when used there.

And again I say it is a joke feat, we talk about the same cup of water here that just magically returns to the water cooler if you leave the screen in the other direction.

Additionaly the timeframe here is really just however long you want to take to leave the screen and go to the next.

Well for that last thing I'd think that it's because the right screen is just hotter due to being further away from Waterfall.

Well for that last thing I'd think that it's because the right screen is just hotter due to being further away from Waterfall.
You mean like, several hundred degrees hotter?

Back