• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

RWBY: Dust, Guidebook, and Novel Additions

WeeklyBattles

VS Battles
Retired
Alright guys this is gonna cover a lot so bear with me

Dust

20191004 114357
For starters, the types of Dust with their respective colors (minus Hard Light Dust). People who use these kinds of Dust need their profiles adjusted.

• Blake gets Gravity Manip
  • Velvet gets Light Manip
  • Cardin gets Fire Manip
  • Russel gets Fire, Water, Electricity, and Wind Manip
  • Neon gets Gravity and Electricity Manip
  • Mercury gets Air Manip
  • Adam gets Fire Manip
  • Vernal gets Electricity Manip
  • Lionheart gets Water and Air Manip
Additionally, as brought up here, people who utilize Ice Dust should have a mention somewhere of the ice it creates having High 8-C durability, and Gravity Dust users should likely get High 8-C/Higher with it as it is consistently portrayed as significantly increasing the user's attack strength as well destroying Ice Dust constructs.

Guidebook
For starters, Semblances are confirmed to use Aura, so that should be added as a weakness of literally everyone.

• Neptune's weapon is named Tri-Hard
  • Cardin's weapon is The Executioner
  • Coco's weapon is Gianduja
  • Velvet's weapon is Anesidora and her Semblance is Photographic Memory
  • Yatsu's weapon is Fulcrum
  • Raven's sword is Omen and her semblance is Kindred Link
  • Penny's weapon is Floating Array
  • Oz's weapon is The Long Memory
  • Oobleck's weapon is Antiquity's Roast and Port's is Blowhard
  • Glynda's weapon is The Disciplinarian and she gets minor matter manip with her semblance
  • Ironwood's weapon is Due Process and Leo's weapon is Stalwart
  • Cinder's weapon is Midnight and her semblance is Scorching Caress which lets her superheat objects and control their shape
  • Hazel's semblance is Numbing Agent
  • Tyrian's weapon is The Queen's Servants
  • Neo's weapon is Hush and her semblance is Overactive Imagination
  • Emerald's weapon is Thief's Respite and her semblance is Hallucinations
  • Mercury's weapon is Talaria
  • Ilia's weapon is Lightning Lash
Novel

• Coco's Semblance, Hype, allows her to use her Aura to increase the effects and power of Dust. She uses this to power the effect of her weapon's bullets, exponentially amplifying their raw power.
  • Yatsuhashi's Semblance is Memory Wiping, which allows him to erase other people's memories when he touches them. He can permanently wipe memories which are trivial in nature, such as forgetting the last few seconds, and temporarily wipe important memories, which return on an equal time as to how they were wiped. For instance, if he were to wipe somebody's memory for a day, it would take a day for them to return. However he tends to use his Semblance sparingly, only wiping seconds at a time.
  • Fox's Semblance is Telepathy. He uses his Semblance to communicate with his teammates. His Semblance is more precise if people are close by, and he can sense when they are nearby. When using it, the people he is conveying a message to feel as though they are being watched by something.

I think RWBY characters should get the ability that correlates with each color. Also the aura weakness seems fine to add.

Of course Neptune's weapon would be called Tri-hard. I expected nothing less.

Sir Ovens said:
Of course Neptune's weapon would be called Tri-hard. I expected nothing less.
I'm more impressed by Glynda's "The Disciplinarian" kinky.

I think everything mentioned is fine to add

How does Neon get plant, electricity, gravity manipulation?

We didn't see her with those kinds of dust previously

Well I don't have a problem with any of these. I assume all of the dust types for the characters are depicted in the guidebook as concept art? Well I trust that it's accurate then.

WeeklyBattles said:

So, the matter of white/grey dust is a bit weird here.

So, here, Leo charges his weapon with what looks like wind dust according to that pic, but what he actually shoots is a large boulder.

Similarly, in Volume 6, the Colossus charges with white/grey dust, but shoots out a rocks.

But that scan tells us that they should have been using orange dust, not white dust.

And here's someone using green dust to manipulate wind, despite wind dust being described as white/grey up there. Merch they sell also calls green dust 'wind dust'. We also, like, never see anyone use green dust to manipulate plants.

Weiss using Green dust also seems to be an animation error. She only had the dust for a single episode (A Minor Hiccup), where all the dust in her weapon was green despite her not doing anything plant-related that whole episode, and right after the episode it reverted back to not having any green dust. Her weapon normally only has red, blue, yellow, white, purple and cyan dust in the show.

So, kind of iffy personally on using this to give people powers with dust they haven't actively used before. The show doesn't seem to be consistent regarding Ice, Wind, Plant, and Earth dust, and this is very recent stuff from Volumes 5 and 6.

The guidebook confirmed that there were a lot of animation errors regarding types of dust in the show

WeeklyBattles said:
The guidebook confirmed that there were a lot of animation errors regarding types of dust in the show
Wow.....that's a lot of mistakes. It's almost like they never really established a hard "system" until recently.

Until the guidebook they didnt have one, it was just a general guideline with only a few solidly established kinds of Dust

WeeklyBattles said:
So wouldn't that make retroactively applying stuff from the guidebook (regarding dust) unreliable, considering the guidebook itself says that stuff before it had so many errors?

No? Its just adapting to the current system. The only thing that had a major change is Wind Dust being white instead of green now

WeeklyBattles said:
No? Its just adapting to the current system. The only thing that had a major change is Wind Dust being white instead of green now
Clearly the inconsistencies don't just apply to Wind just, as I explained above.

But the old system and new system are clearly different. The guidebook itself says as much. So trying to apply the new system to the old system is just going to give a bunch of contradictions.

What contradictions...? Again, the only actual difference that has been made is that Wind Dust is no longer green, its white.

Thus far no one has even used Plant Dust

White dust in Vol 5 and 6 producing Stone as opposed to wind, green dust producing wind, Weiss having green dust being an animation error... these contradict the guidebook and make throwing on powers very dubious without them actively demonstrating it.

So someone being shown as having green or white dust pre-guidebook can't really be confirmed for being capable of manipulating plants based on the guidebook.

Because it wasn't even Plant Dust prior to the guidebook mentioning it.

No one has shown to use green Dust in the show so youre correct, thats why we're not giving anyone plant manip until its shown that they can

White Dust is Wind, Orange is stone

I posted a scan above of someone using green dust though, it just functioned like Wind dust. Also, the OP previously had characters receiving plant manip, namely Weiss, so I'm glad that was removed; which covers a lot of my previous complaints.

I know. I'm saying that up until very recently (like, the end of Volume 6) in the show that hasn't been the case.

And I'm saying that it was retconned and this was acknowledged as an animation error directly in the guideboom

WeeklyBattles said:
And I'm saying that it was retconned and this was acknowledged as an animation error directly in the guideboom
I agree with you there? Although if we continue to see these 'errors' in Volume 7 I'd personally start questioning the guidebook.

It's just that just because the guidebook is retroactively saying that these colors apply to these dusts, that doesn't mean that people using green dust prior to the guidebook can suddenly manipulate plants, it's that the guidebook is saying 'they were using white dust to manipulate wind, we got the colors wrong'.

For example, Leon doesn't have wind dust; he has rock dust that wasn't colored correctly. We see him use the white dust as rock dust. Other instances where we see white dust previous to the guidebook are equally dubious, since prior to the guidebook it seems like it was treated as either wind or rock dust. Same goes for green dust.

So we're in agreement then?

And leo does have wind dust, its confirmed in the guidebook that Stalwart is equiped with every kind of weaponizwd dust

Spinoirr said:
He mixes dust to make that meteor
The only indications, color wise, of the dust he used, was white and red. Which makes sense given he shot out a flaming rock. The orange part of his weapon, which should be rock dust, isn't active.

Back