• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

RWBY: 8-A and MHS Revision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kepekley23

VS Battles
Retired
It's here. This was long overdue, and I've been writing this for about two weeks as of now, so let's just jump into it already and cut the slack. Some of you were anticipating this, and I have to get it done with so I can finally go back to other Verses I've been trying to revise.

Introductio
Currently, the great majority of the RWBY cast is scaled to 8-A and MHS based on two feats that've been calculated at 110 tons of TNT, and a feat where Mercury and Emerald dodge a lightning bolt. I'm ignoring the MHS+ feats since they were already going to be downgraded down the line due to it being false lightning.

Ignoring any problems or difficulties for now and just taking both of these feats at face value, you can read my sandbox to fully understand the downgrade, as well as my reasoning behind it, which includes Respect Threads for Team RWBY. Let's proceed, shall we?

Attack Potency
Let's analyze the evidence for 8-A one by one.

• 1: The Nevermore, a Grimm that can be handled by Vol. 1 characters, has a 8-A feat.
Rebuttal: This is false. The calculation that puts the Nevermores at 8-A is flawed, and is based on a 84m length based on a background scene where Ruby is 2 pixels tall, hardly visible at all and scaled to a Nevermore that is also far on the back, meaning it is extremely hard to be scaled reliably, and that is also contradicted by many different scenes. For example, in the Official Concept Art, we can see a Nevermore and an average human being side-to-side, and I have calculated its length here at 20 meters, as opposed to 80m. The scene where Coco shoots down three Nevermores is even more telling; it shows several of them falling right besides a few five or six-storey buildings, and we can clearly tell they're barely bigger than them. A five-story building is only 15 meters tall, with a six-story one being 18m in height. Consistent with what I calculated.

Another scene that would go against the mythical 80 meters would be this one, where Team RWBY is just a few meters away from a relatively large Nevermore; notice how Yang and the others are comparable to the Nevermore's beak, which is consistent with what the Concept Art's values demonstrate.

In this scene, this is confirmed for good. A Nevermore gets knocked down and lands with its beak stretched right next to Ruby, and we can compare the two and see that Ruby is the same size as the beak. This would be impossible with 90m, since the previous scene shows the beak is a relatively sizeable chunk.

This feat is therefore not anywhere near 8-A, and only 8-C at best based on other feats it has. I redid a similar feat with the new variables and only got it to 8-C, some people over the OBD like Iwandesu also got similar results.

• 2: Volume 1 Weiss is 8-A with her ice
Rebuttal: The calculation itself is correct, but this is where we get a quick RWBY reality check and run through the outlier scenario and prove it.

Let's look at the other impressive feats the series, ignoring the lower level feats that are from people orders of magnitude above V1 Weiss for now (although they will certainly be mentioned later):

• Redone Nevermore Feats (8-C+)
  • Nora destroying a boulder (8-C+)
  • Ruby displacing rocks and dragging a Nevermore up (8-C+)
  • Yatsuhashi wrecking the battlefield in his fight against Mercury (8-C+)
  • Nora's hammer feat (8-C+)
With the exception of one or other stray Nevermore feat that is 9-A or low-end 8-C, and some feats that I will be addressing further below, these are literally all the impressive feats from mid-tier characters below 8-A.

As you can see, all feats below Weiss's 8-A feat are 8-C and lower. Rating all RWBY characters as 8-A based on one single feat now that the other one has been debunked, to put it nicely, extremely inaccurate. All low-ends should be taken into account, and every single feat needs to be checked when giving a character a certain rating. We can not and should not use the high feat without checking its consistency and how far away it is from the other feats in the series. We're taught to keep this in mind. So why should RWBY be treated any differently?

If you are still not convinced, let's take a look at the feats from characters confirmedly above Team RWBY, both pre and post timeskip, but below the verse's Tier 7s. From the top of my head, these are the most impressive:

• Adam Taurus destroying the Spiderdroid (High 8-C+)
  • Penny Polendina's airplane feat (baseline 8-B)
Both of these feats were performed by characters who could easily destroy Vol. 1 or 3 Weiss if they so wanted. Taurus pretty much curbstomped most members of Team RWBY hands down, and Penny could only be defeated by Pyrrha Nikos and she explicitly exceeds Post-Timeskip Weiss.

To top it off, Weiss's feat was extremely casual. She went there, swung her sword and left, without even breaking a sweat. So tell me, why should a feat followed by uncountable 8-C+ feats from later volumes that they actually needed effort to accomplish, that contradicts much stronger characters only being baseline 8-B, and that Weiss did with no effort at all when she consistently has problems with anything higher than 8-C+ be accepted?

It goes without a saying in my view that it is an outlier.

Speed
As I said above, I will ignore Sun's feat because it is already getting downgraded. After the downgrade, they are supposed to become MHS. Let's see if that rating stacks up.

• 1. Mercury and Emerald are lightning timers
Rebuttal: The feat itself is true. They did indeed dodge a cloud-to-ground lightning bolt. But the feat is in no way consistent with any of the other showings RWBY has, and there are several feats that outright contradict it.

Moments after they dodge said lightning, Mercury fails to react to a hand-cast electric attack that noticeably fails to electrocute him or make his muscles contract. It just hurts him and knocks him back, which proves it does not even have the properties of real electricity. Furthermore, notice how far away he is from the attack compared to when he dodged the lightning. He was at the very least a half dozen meters away from the current, and still failed to react to it despite his supposed ~Mach 300 speed. Basically, he managed to react to a lightning bolt from a few meters away, but couldn't even realize the path a far slower projectile coming from much farther away.

Granted, one low-end showing doesn't invalidate the feat, it just casts doubt into it. Which is why we will now be looking at the next best feats the series has to offer. Namely, the immensely consistent supersonic to hypersonic feats. Just to name a few:

• Weiss reacting to and timing sound waves thrice in a single fight
  • Yang running ~50m in 0.02 seconds
  • Yang dodging machine gunfire
  • Coco dodging sustained gunfire
  • Yang dodging RPGs, intercepting more bullets, and etc.
  • Ren dodging sniper shots
  • Ruby dodging shotgun shells, and intercepting bullets and blitzing their shooters, disappearing to Weiss, and etc.
I could go on for a week, but the thing is that RWBY has dozens upon dozens of supersonic feats, and a few low hypersonic feats, some of which took considerable effort to accomplish. Rating them as MHS based on one feat that is immediately followed by a low-end showing, with said low-end showing being consistent with the other feats to boot, glosses over the existence of outliers completely.

• 2. A preschool Yang has a casual Mach 40 feat, which supports stronger characters being MHS
Rebuttal: Said feat has been debunked by me here. New result is either Supersonic or Transonic, which only proves my point further and doesn't bode well for RWBY.

Countering the Counters
Some people have argued the 8-A feats aren't the only thing on that level, and that the series has multiple High 8-C feats and some 8-B feats to back its rating up. I have debunked that notion in spades here. Basically, most feats on that level have either been recalced at a lower level, have wrong calcs or only exist as high-ends, with lower level mid-ends.

Conclusion
RWBY's current ratings are flawed, contradicted by far lower showings, and some of the calcs used to get these ratings are just borderline wrong. Overall, the verse needs a severe rehash.

All 8-As are to be downgraded to 8-C+, with the exception of Penny and Pyrrha who should be 8-B. All of the god-tiers who are still scaled to the 8-A feat should also be downgraded.

Basically, all characters in the verse are to be downgraded to Hypersonic via scaling from Yang's Mach 6 feat, with those who are vastly above her gaining an "at least".

By the way, I don't really think the 7-Bs need to be revised. The Grimm Dragon does have 7-C and High 7-C feats to back their rating up, so I think the 7-Bs are fine. If anyone disagrees, please tell me why.

The tier stuff i eally cant disagre with, though there really is no reason for Pyrrha and Penny to be vastly above everyone else when there are showings of people being on their level

You also have yet to acknowledge Adam's 8-A feat

Your reasoning for them not being MHS though is...yeah no. Basically every verse here with lightning dodging feats has a plethora of much lower feats. Them being lower than MHS due to having lower feats is a no unless you want to dorngrade every other verse with lightning dodging for the same reasoning *Cough*Avatar*Cough*

And people say my CRTs are like essays.

I'm going to wait for other knowledgeable people to show up before I go with anything, but at face value, this looks sound.

Noting that I will be going to sleep in an hour or a bit less.

@Weekly

I laid out an entire essay, proving that he has low-ends where he directly fails to react to slower things that can be reconciled with his Supersonic/Hypersonic feats. Please try and not be dismissive.

Adam doesn't have a 8-A feat. The OBD debunked the SpaceBattles calc. His feat is explicitly High 8-C and was calc'ed as such.

@Kep And Marvel characters are MHS despite having trouble reacting to bullets at times and Avatar is HS despite being afraid to face archers and i can go on and on. Having a bunch of lower feats will never invalidate a higher feat.

The guy forgot to account for hollowness, so the calc is wrong. Iwan recalc'ed it at High 8-C, IIRC.

Allright soooo.

The funny part is I do think the verse needs some revisions, just not the ones you listed.

Starting with 8-A stuff, Adam does have an 8-A feat somewhere, but if that is an issue considering the stompy nature of Adam vs Yang, then just means pre time skip everyone scales to penny at 8-B and everyone post is likely 8-A

Lightning stuff consistency is honestly something we should kind of look at it, but I am for MHS for now.

I think 8-A is probably also more fair then MHS to be objective.

I am against these revisions.

But funny enough, much to the chargin of weekly, I do think Top Tiers have a weird KE feat that we should probably use the CAPE value more then the KE value, thats just me tho.

I only say this because I think our KE values are far too loose in general. Considering that I am personally doubtful of all storm creation feats of moving said mass in such a quick succesion. (Sounds tinfoily hatty)

Huh, opinions suck everyone.

TLDR: I am for 8-B, likely 8-A pre and then post. I am for MHS for now. I dont think we should just inherintely dismiss it.

Ya know how I said "Find out next time" and everyone took it as "Today"?

Well...

Can Weekly save her favorite verse, and can Yang keep all her wins? Find out, today, on VSBZ!

Adam's feat isn't 8-A. Iwandesu called it out, and the guy forgot to account for hollowness. The true result is, like High 8-C, as I've listed in the OP.

MrKingOfNegativity said:
You keep ******* this up.
I've given up at this point.... They have a girl avatar and use vocabulary that is similar to girls I know online, I don't care anymore.

I have no idea about RWBY, and from what I looked, the revisions seem fine except for the MHS one.

Why wouldn't it be possible for a false electric attack to go faster than a true lightning bolt?

I mean, judging by logic it wasn't even electricity. Not being electricity, there's literally zero reason to assume why it should be slower than true lightning. There are several thousands of feats across fiction of non-electrical things moving faster than lightning bolts. If it was electricity... Well, I still see no contradiction about it moving faster than lightning. It is fiction. Lightning going faster than lightning (Marvel, I remember Thor's lightning bolt who went over 100c) and light travelling faster than light (Super Mario Galaxy from the top of my head).

TL;DR: Except from the MHS part, it seems alrite.

Also, can I say that multiple calc'ers at the OBD said the feat was more likely to be V. Frag, and that the low-end would likely not even be High 8-C due to that? High 8-C is the mid end.

Kepekley23 said:
Thanks my dude, this is alot I have to read about.

I dont have that much time, but I will come back by tomorrow and give my support/counter arguments.

In return, I wanna say this that the scaling for the verse should be looked into and be further clarified.

(Not saying it is bad, more so that AP justifications can be ironed out even further.)

@EliminatorVenom

The current failed to electrocute Merc, it just blasted him aside. Therefore it is not real electricity and the speed is 100% unquantifiable according to DT and the new standards.

@Kep And Marvel characters are MHS despite having trouble reacting to bullets at times and Avatar is HS despite being afraid to face archers and i can go on and on. Having a bunch of lower feats will never invalidate a higher feat.

I literally just debunked the Avatar thing. .

Spiderman extremely consistently reacts to Electro's lightning. He has done it over 40 times, Matt has already proven this. RWBY only has one lightning dodging feat, all the others are supersonic, with one or two hy´personic feats. This is yet another false equivalence.

We take lower feats into account every single time. It's what VS Battles Wiki is built upon.

@Kep

If it wasn't real electricity, there's no reason to assume why it should go slower than lightning bolts.

If it wasn't real electricity, there's no reason to assume why it should go slower than lightning bolts.

Because there's zero evidence it is any faster than a lightning bolt, and our standards don't accept the feat as true if tit's the case.

@Kepekley

I am going through all the feats and I will probably give my evaluation on all of them, but why are some of them on github?

Does rwby have a novel I am missing?

@Kep No, one of the main rules we have when evaluating feats here is that lower feats dont invalidate higher feats

Lower feats absolutely invalidate higher feats if they're consistent. We do this all the time here. It's literally the reason behind the existence of outliers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back