• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Rule Violation Reports - 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jokingly telling your friend to kill themselves without said friend being at all offended is very, very different than geniunely telling someone you don't like to commit suicide. Let's get that out of the way.

Now if the rest of the staff agrees that there should be a zero tolerance on any sort of remarks regardless of severity, then fine.

I personally think someone who does the former like this guy should be given one warning, someone who does the latter get immediately banned.

However I am fine with whichever the rest of the staff agrees is best.

Honestly we need to stop acting like context doesn't matter; it matters a lot. As long as it is indicated that the comment is sarcastic and in no way should be taken seriously, then such should not be punished in my opinion. This sounds very much like the case of the man who was legally prosecuted for making a Nazi joke, even though the context of the joke is anti-Nazi.

I do understand that the forums are not the same as real life, but an instaban for a dark joke that was not at all malicious seems completely ludicrous to me.

I mean if it's just how you say it is then how about a strict warning? I don't know how much the whole "suicide joke" thing is tolerated.

If it was just a joke towards a friend, I agree with Assaltwaffle and Ryukama, but we should probably ask Darkanine and whoever the banned member made the comment towards about the context, to see if he was telling the truth.

Binding's first comment had a bit of aggressiveness to it, but it wasn't aimed at anyone in particular, and worse words than "bitch" are used all the time here.

Honestly, I'd think Schmuck was the worse one there, as his response on the other hand was targeted and hostile.

I really don't think anything there is report worthy though

Well, as I mentioned earlier, we cannot become either too lenient or too strict, and must try to find a balanced middle path, as it is both important to not let hostile behaviour get out of hand (as this would gradually destroy the cohesion and collaborative friendly nature of our community) and to not breed a climate of fear of making the slightest trangression.

I agree with Monarch in this case, but think that Arrogant Schmuck should probably be politely told to mind his language in the future.

It's just him inflating Medaka and people saying he deserves to get banned for that in the thread.

Doesn't seem like intentional vandalism. More like him not knowing how to handle Source Code and not being aware of CRTs.

Antvasima said:
If it was just a joke towards a friend, I agree with Assaltwaffle and Ryukama, but we should probably ask Darkanine and whoever the banned member made the comment towards about the context, to see if he was telling the truth.
Not to make an excuse for myself but I was in a bad mental state around that time, so I was probably to harsh.

Im okay with unbanning.

LordSteveIII performed blatant vandalism. We cannot be too lenient with that sort of thing. It warrants a strict warning at the very least and a ban at the most.

See here:

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/index.php?title=Twenty-Fifth_Baam&diff=2581864&oldid=2550858

He removed the statistics in the page. That is not acceptable.

Look, I understand that it scores more points to say that we need to be extremely lenient and accepting, but as the one who does most of the edit-monitoring and organisation work that keeps the wiki running properly, I am also generally the one who has to deal with allowing vandals to run free and continue to mess up pages. After a while there would be so many of them that the wiki would not be manageable anymore.

Still, I suppose that it does not seem intentional, so some staff member can give him a strict warning to not do so again.

@Ant

The notion that we are trying to be lenient and accepting to "score points" is both insulting and outright false. The ones who support higher leniency aren't doing it to be popular or to score imaginary internet Kudos, we are doing it because that is what we see as right.

I respect you and I understand that you patrol edits very frequently and get frustrated with new or ignorant users, but to essentially blanket the members in favor of leniency as "karma ******" (borrowing the term from reddit, but it works here) is, as I have stated before, insulting and I don't appreciate it (as I imagine other users wouldn't as well).

That is not what I intended. I just meant that even though I may have voiced an unpopular opinion, it is still the pragmatic approach regarding how to make the wiki function properly in the long run.

@Monarch

Thank you for the help.

Also, I am aware of that I do not have the best social skills, but I am generally trying to be helpful, reasonable and polite. It is not necessary to interpret what I say from the worst possible angle.

Basically, given that I handle a very large part of the practical work of running the wiki, and I usually have to deal with the actual consequences of changes in working policies, my perspective also comes from a practical angle.

This brings up another point.

I banned Bobsica over his thread in which he got random characters to rape each other. He told me it was in jest and out of boredom, but I banned him for a month for it. Do I unban him?

I'm more bothered by the fact that characters raping each other is actually a main thought of his when he is bored.

But idk, maybe he can get a chance. Rape is a pretty sensitive issue though...

No, I think that a month long ban seems appropriate. It is not good if people think that they can get away with that kind of thing. It would encourage quite a lot of others to do more of the same, which would cause a bad atmosphere within this community, and get the eyes of the Fandom staff upon us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back