• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Revising Dragon Ball Flight Speed (Dragon Ball + DBZ + DBS Manga)

Almost every flight speed feat in Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z tops out at like, hypersonic. Its consistent when that's taken into account.
But what Kid Goku lighting speed, Raditz dodging Piccolo's attack etc. It should scale to their travel speed.

But what Kid Goku lighting speed, Raditz dodging Piccolo's attack etc. It should scale to their travel speed.
It does they have FTL and MFTL combat speeds ans travel speeds still they just can't go as fast when traveling over long distances or they'd drain all their Ki so this is for long distance flight speeds

But what Kid Goku lighting speed, Raditz dodging Piccolo's attack etc.
The point of the thread was that they cannot keep that speed up over long distances.
There are also many examples shown earlier of higher speed feats in DBZ
None of the long distance speed feats in DB or DBZ besides the Gotenks one will get you a result better than Hypersonic from memory. They just take to long to go from Point A to Point B.

None of the long distance speed feats in DB or DBZ besides the Gotenks one will get you a result better than Hypersonic from memory. They just take to long to go from Point A to Point B.
Have you looked on the feats? Examples would be Goku VS Vegeta fight, Goku VS Ginyu Force, Krillin and Gohan VS Guldo, Second Form Frieza blitzes Krillin, Vegeta VS Final Form Frieza, Goku outspeeds Frieza's death saucers and more

Bruh that's literally what the whole thread had been about just read it we already came to a consensus literally read how it got here don't be lazy
No, the thread is about downgrading travel speed. But you are saying that they can only go fast for short distances, yet never prove it with a scan saying that they can only do it for a short time

MY CONCLUSION SO FAR/PROPOSAL
Alright, I've seen everything both sides have to offer as of now, and came to a, in my opinion, very reasonable proposal that will address both sides accordingly.

OP favorable arguments
First, we need to consider all the times where the characters needed to get from point A to point B as fast as possible, and yet, they showcase Supersonic+ to Hypersonic+ flight speed. Damage already went through these points, but some of them are,

• Goku trying to get to the saiyans
  • Z-Fighters looking for Gero's lab
  • Goku trying to look for a shapeship to get out of Namek
And of course, all the calcs Damage provided earlier.

These show instances where it would obviously be inconvenient to the narrative if character X were to get to point B before any repercussions happened. So, yes, these have happened.

Don't worry, I know the opposing side's answers for all these examples, I will address them shortly.

Opposing Side's arguments
Although these instances do exist, we also have to address some of the valid points the opposing side has provided, where the characters simply run, or flight away from the blasts,

There are other examples where a character with FTL reaction gets blizted by short burst flights in a straight line like Piccolo vs Freeza, but you all get the point.

These are instances that, if going by our current scaling, showcase flight being FTL, and comparable to attack/combat speed. It may seem like an obvious contradiction for an outsider, "how come you take 8 hours to fly 2000km, but outruns faster-than-light attacks occasionally?"

Well, the opposing side have provided evidence that flying for long distances at high speeds consumes an extensive amount of energy from the user, Goku states so when crossing the Snake Way, and implies this when talking to Gohan. So yeah, maintaining FTL flights for a long distance would most likely consume one's energy to exhaustion, right? So they won't do it, because what good does it do if you get there but you're drained? Goku literally implies Gohan would use all his strength for flying to another city by going full speed.

This "answers" most instances where speed is Hypersonic, because if they tried to cross the distance at FTL, they'd be drained. Great, "debunked", right?

No! Because these other instances where they did showcase faster flight speed compared to combat speed still exist! If the energy consumption is so high, how can Goku fly away from MFTL Ki Blasts for several panels and not just be drained? Well, I have a solution.

My solution for the contradictions
Considering that we've seen characters flying faster or comparably to their attack speed for shorter bursts, I suggest we add information on the Range section of these character profiles. Yes, we put a certain range for their high speed flights, that cannot be maintained for longer than said range, otherwise their energy would be greatly depleted. After said range, they could just maintain a lower flight speed for longer distances, thus, adding the new ratings from Damage, but still addressing that, in a fight, they can easily fly for X distance at the same speed as they fight in. This honestly should satisfy both sides of the argument, and answer the inconsistency provided by this awful, awful show.

"How should we do that?"
Simple, we take these instances where flight was comparable to combat, calc the distance they've flown, and put this as their range for high speed/FTL flight speed. Otherwise, we can just scale stronger characters to lower tier's ranges as they obviously have a larger energy reserve.

My rating proposal

Goku

Speed
: FTL combat speed and ranged flight speed, Hypersonic+/Massively Hypersonic+/etc long-distances flight speed.

How does that sound, everyone?
Nah @Gilad_Hyperstar you really didn't read it's all summed up here

Have you looked on the feats?
I have and look at what I said
speed up over long distances.
None of the long distance speed
The point isn't that they're always only supersonic or hypersonic. But that they through canon numbers and story events just cannot travel over state/country sized distances that quickly. Their fighting speed being where its at now is fine. The agreed proposal was also that they are noted as being much slower in terms of long distance movement speed.

Fighting while flying is still combat speed

It's long distance travel that's the issue
still the same both moving in mftl+ xcept if they didnt fight in mftl+. iirc both use ki too. if their ki run out after flying ftl for 5min then they cant fight in ftl for 5min. cmiiw

Working on the speed ratings with some help from Nullflowerbush. At the moment it's stalled a bit, but will be getting back into it soon. It's turned into more of a complete speed justification overhaul than just the flight speed stuff, as many of the justifications were missing or barely there.

Was just going to bump this myself since I apparently lost notifications
Working on the speed ratings with some help from Nullflowerbush. At the moment it's stalled a bit, but will be getting back into it soon. It's turned into more of a complete speed justification overhaul than just the flight speed stuff, as many of the justifications were missing or barely there.
Since that's another step above what was previously being gathered and put together how long do you think it'd take to fully get that ready?

Bumping, ik it's being worked on I'm just making sure those who want to follow get notified for this thread existing still

So that this thread doesn't get repeatedly bumped, I'll be temporarily locking it for now. There's no need for it be open until the specific proposals for rating + justification changes, and references, and ready to go.

The sandbox isn't 100% done, but I've added every significant character from Dragon Ball & Dragon Ball Z to it, and made good progress on updating justifications, removing circular scaling, adding references, and incorporating flight speed ratings.

If anyone would like to assist in rewriting justifications or adding in scans, please let me know. Going to continue editing it for at least a few days more until it is ready to be considered fine to apply.

@Maverick_Zero_X I remember you made a blog on Dragon Ball speed feats so would like you to take a look over this.

Your current progress looks good, references for our DB profiles was a much needed touch (y)
Thanks. Still got to change some justifications (Goten and Trunks are both scaling off of each other for some reason) and add more missing references, but I don't think any sections need massive rewrites at this point unless I've missed out some characters.

The sandbox isn't 100% done, but I've added every significant character from Dragon Ball & Dragon Ball Z to it, and made good progress on updating justifications, removing circular scaling, adding references, and incorporating flight speed ratings.

If anyone would like to assist in rewriting justifications or adding in scans, please let me know. Going to continue editing it for at least a few days more until it is ready to be considered fine to apply.

@Maverick_Zero_X I remember you made a blog on Dragon Ball speed feats so would like you to take a look over this.
I have two things to say.
1. Link to akm's speed blog for every single profile you will edit at least once.
2. We need to make some kind of foot note in the profiles or verse page that characters can indeed reach a flight speed that is comparable to their combat speed but only in short bursts because it consumes a lot of stamina.

1. Link to akm's speed blog for every single profile you will edit at least once.
There is a bit in the sandbox for a note that links to AKM's blog, that will be included on more profiles as explanatory text.

2. We need to make some kind of foot note in the profiles or verse page that characters can indeed reach a flight speed that is comparable to their combat speed but only in short bursts because it consumes a lot of stamina.
I'll work on something for the verse page for that.

I'll work on something for the verse page for that.
This is probably the most important part aside from the work that's been done itself and absolutely needs to be articulated well enough as to not cause problems

Since I don't see it on the blog though I'll just ask even if it's obvious just to have this out there but those like potential unleashed gohan who scale above gotenks will they also be scaled to his MHS+?

Since I don't see it on the blog though I'll just ask even if it's obvious just to have this out there but those like potential unleashed gohan who scale above gotenks will they also be scaled to his MHS+?
Yeah, added it to some characters like Majin Buu and Vegito. Haven't added it yet to some characters like Gohan. Gohan would scale to that.

Back