• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Resisting Esdeath's Time Stop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Per this thread I found out that Esdeath's Time Stop, Makahadoma, is a bit downplayed. It's believed that having cold resistance or passive exerted heat would allow one to resist Esdeath's Time Stop since Tatsumi was able to "adapt to the cold" of the Time Stop and move around in it. Understandable given the wording and lack of full context regarding the feat.

The Feat
The feat in question is Tatsumi resisting Esdeath's Time Stop. Then assuming her quote about Incursio adapting to frozen tundras means that cold resistance allows resistance to her time stop.

Clearing Up the Cold Resistance Misconceptio
For starters, Tyrant (what Incursio originally was before being made into the Teigu Incursio) already had resistance to frozen tundras before it was ever turned into Incursio. Also, Tyrant further evolves per user (Tatsumi being the third known Incursio user of AGK's story and Incursio having existed for a millenia) and it stills continues to amplify itself. This is Second Stage Incursio that resisted Esdeath's Makahadoma, First Stage Incursio was completely susceptile to it despite Tyrant at base being resistant to freezing tundras and having undergone a millenia of evolutions of users causing it to adapt and evolve further.

After this, we must look at Esdeath's exact words. Word for word, Esdeath's states: "Incursio... I'd heard that after it evolves, the armor is strong enough to adapt to a frozen tundra. Even if only for a second he managed to move in this frozen space!"

Esdeath isn't saying that resistance to cold temperatures allows you to resist Makahadoma, she's equating's Tyrant's previous adaption of frozen tundra being comparable to how it adapted to frozen space.

How Does Esdeath's Makahadoma Actually Work?
Well, per Esdeath's own initial words, it works by freeing time and space itself to cause frozen space. It doesn't freeze or cause cold temperatures on the target, it's solely targeting time and space to freeze time.

This is backed up by Takahiro (the author of Akame Ga Kill) in Volume 9's Takahiro Postscript where he has Esdeath explain Makahadoma to Wave. She once agains states it is freezing time and space in order to freeze time.

So Tatsumi had adapted to the frozen time and space. Cold resistance does not help nor would passive heat exertion.

You need actual resistance to time stop in order to resist Esdeath's Makahadoma.

If said heat can affect something as abstract as time and space, which what Esdeath can freezes, the Time stop is useless.

If not, time stop works just fine.

Does she actually freeze time and space, like ice? In that case this seems to make sense, though I would assume someone who could "heat" spacetime could counter it, or someone with spacetime manipulation on a larger scale.

Homu Sweet Homu said:
If said heat can affect something as abstract as time and space, which what Esdeath can freezes, the Time stop is useless.
If not, time stop works just fine.
Well yeah, I didn't think I'd need to say that, it felt pretty clear. But abstract heat that does affect time and space works.

Callsign Castle said:
Does she actually freeze time and space, like ice? In that case this seems to make sense, though I would assume someone who could "heat" spacetime could counter it, or someone with spacetime manipulation on a larger scale.
As Homu has said, yeah if you could heat or affect time and space with fire, you should counter Makahadoma.

And yes, she says she freezes time and space several times and Takahiro iterates on it in the Volume Postscript.

So this seem fine, but I have a more pressing question (to me at least). Is that an official scan? Cause that's the first time I've seen her ability spelled that way. Usually it's spelled Mahapadma (which sounds better).

If I were to try rationalizing this (since "freezing" space and time makes no sense to me, not that I disagree with you, and its stated as such), this could also be quantum level matter manipulation.

ApiesDeathbyLazors said:
So this seem fine, but I have a more pressing question (to me at least). Is that an official scan? Cause that's the first time I've seen her ability spelled that way. Usually it's spelled Mahapadma (which sounds better).
Yeah these are official scans. I have all but the final official English volumes. *********** in their translations of Esdeath's Time Stop said that it was pronounced Makahadoma, but they purposefully wrote Mahapadma for simplicity.

Callsign Castle said:
If I were to try rationalizing this (since "freezing" space and time makes no sense to me, not that I disagree with you, and its stated as such), this could also be quantum level matter manipulation.
I don't really know much about that at all. I'm just here providing scans and trying to remove the downplay. But if it's somehow an upgrade, then I guess it can be discussed here.

@Imade It is not really an upgrade since Esdeath time stop (which more like a Psudo time stop to me) is just a regular time stop.

Tbh, it does seem as if she's talking about freezing stuff, but I don't mind either way.

If this is accepted, wouldn't that give Tatsumi limited resistance to time stop?

Burning Full Fingers said:
I've forgotten a lot about the series, but it says he managed to move for only a second in the original post.
Stage 1 was affected by the Time Stop. Stage 2 was only able to move for the majority of the Time Stop (to the point that Esdeath couldn't do anything else after Tatsumi was finally affected). There were no usages of it against Stage 3 and 4, but we know that Tyrant Tatsumi was completely immune and moved for the entire duration.

Edit: Given how his adaption works. Stage 2 alone would probably have been completely immune the second time. That's generally how Incursio's adaption is.

VersusJunkie54 said:
I agree. But I don't think this should really affect any of her matches.
Same tbh, I still think she would have lost that Escanor match since she would use Makahadoma way too late. Her own in-character behavior betrays her.

Makes sense to me. Now her timestop doesn't have a far more common weakness than just resisting timestop, but as said above her sadism kinda gimps her anyways.

IMadeThisOn8-1-2017 said:
How do I know when a CRT is finally accepted?
Usually when enough people agree. I'd like to think 5 or 7 people. It helps if a few mods are a part of that 5 or 7.

IMadeThisOn8-1-2017 said:
Ghostly Owns said:
Does the time freeze have infinite range?
I'd assume so, as far as time and space extends since that is what she's freezing to cause the stopped time.
Kinda feels a bit like a NLF; being able to freeze time on a dimensional level seems a bit OP relative to everything else she can pull off... (universal timefreeze vs at best a planet level gradual freeze)

Well I wouldn't say dimensional level, I'm just going by the words of how it works. It works by freezing time and space. So whatever is in the extent of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back