• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Dargoo_Faust

Blue Doggo Enthusiast
VS Battles
Retired
How would conventional (Real Life and even many fictional representations of viruses, bacteria, and plague) diseases fare against different levels of regen? Or do we usually count immune system strength as something separate and only apply resistances with characters who are explicitly stated to have it?

Low to Low-Mid: I am pretty sure anything that causes your blood to not coagulate will easily defeat this kind of regen. Maybe cancer or AIDS would be able to defeat it too, because cancer would cause the Regenerationn to recreate the damaged cells (Maybe) and AIDS will make the person weaker to infection.

Mid to Mid-High: Maybe cancer... just maybe.

The rest? Nope.

Actually, Cancer would only really go up to Low-High at best. Mid-High is far superior to anything that's cellular level and Cancer or the like would literally do nothing to said regen.

Cancer is literally your genes messing up and making bad cells. You would need to regenerate from below that.

Regenerationn and disease are a difficult to evaluate thing. Say you have an bacteria that produces neurotoxins that doesn't destroy the nerves, but just paralysis the opponent.

It's hard to say whether the body will on its own destroy the existing nerves then, to create new ones and whether Regenerationn will enable the user to get the bacteria out of its system. (I mean unless the user decides to vaporize himself and then regenerate from that, but lets assume he doesn't actively harm himself to trigger Regenerationn).

Ultimately it probably differs from case to case, based on how the Regenerationn does its work.

I agree with donttalk. Many bacteria are less about destroying cells and more about causin negative effects through several other ways. And I also doubt that having an unlimited amount of food would slow down most bacteria.

As for cancer, its bane of regen

See, I feel like there is a bit of a confusion here.

I want to understand; how does regenerating lost flesh/limbs give disease resistance? Very rarely do diseases cause direct damage to one's flesh; mostly the damage simply impairs the functions of organs and cell systems.

Basically, I'm confused about the correlation between cellular Regenerationn and immune strength, as if there is one, we should mention it on the Rengeneration page to help with confusion of VS threads.

(I'm planning on expanding the number of disease/microscopic characters on the site, so this is pretty important for me to go forward with any VS Threads once I make them)

It really shouldn't. I guess the body could survive until it bouilds immunity like normal human bodies would, but there are several diseases that make that impossible

I mean, it's not an issue of "the disease is damaging the body, let's just regenerate"

It's an issue of "the body's ability to function and maintain itself is being harmed directly". Many diseases even have the ability to prevent clotting and supress immune systems.

Some levels of regen can indeed "break through" a disease. Don't forget that Regenerationn can also mean cells being able to repair themselves, and when we say that a person can regenerate from below cell level we don't mean that only Mid High users can regenerate cellular damage, but that they can regenerate from damage so insane it reduces them to less than a cell and that fraction of a cell can recompose itself and then the entire body. If a person has Low Mid Regenerationn, then it's very likely that cancer has a reduced effect on them to begin with: just look at real life Axolotls, beings with Low Mid regen over time, which are ridiculously cancer resistant in order to sustain their Regenerationn. A person with a high regen also has a chance of being able to deal with infections and with germs filling up damaged tissue faster than normal, so what's stopping them from being able to resist many diseases?

I believe that any superhuman Regenerationn would also give some level of superhuman resistance to disease, and that a regen like Capitain America's would make him nigh-unable to have cancer.

No. Axolotl have resistance to cancer not because their regen, but because of how they regenerate, with the cells only becoming what they originaly were once they are in place.

And no, regen doesn't stop most diseases. Instead, it just gives it more food. Sure, the disease cannot kill the cell, but diseases tend to be self replicating organisms that accidentaly kill their host by using them as food. They can urvive until a resistance is built, assuming its possible with the disiese, but regen alone doesn't ake you resistant.

Yes, that's what I mean. Regenerationn "over time", that is, Regenerationn that looks biologically consistent should probably aid against diseases, since in real life it would because of how it would work.

Most Regenerationn in fiction is simply looked at as "really fast cell reproduction", wich doesn't help at all.

The axolotl creates the same kind of cells really similiar to ovarians.

Yeah, that's a problem.

However, wouldn't Regenerationn that require cell respecialization automatically imply resistance to cancer?

To ovarians? You mean stem cells, or something else?

I mean, most verses don't even aknowledge its ecistence. It's case by case, but making a lot of cells alone shopuldn't give it on its own.

Yeah, didn't come to mind.

I mean, how the Regenerationn operates in-verse matters too: magically restoring your arm as opposed to an enhanced cellular Regenerationn wouldn't save you from HIV.

Back