• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Regarding the name "Outerverse level"

KingPin0422

Derp Idol
Joke Battles
Retired
So, this has been bothering me for a while, but only now do I have the mind and the time to talk about it here.

Our 1-A tiers are currently named some variation of "Outerverse level" on the wiki, and they have been for several years now. Originally, we had pages laying down our considerations of what a hyperverse or an outerverse is, as these are terms we had coined ourselves and we wanted people to understand what we mean when we say, for instance, that some character has "hyperverse level attack potency." However, in the latter half of 2019, we made the decision to overhaul the extremes of our tiering system; a revision which mainly concerned tier 1, but also had implications for tier 11 and tier 2 as well. As part of this revision, we elected to delete the aforementioned explanation pages and just explain the meanings of our custom tiering terms on the tiering system page itself.

Now, if we go down to note 2 on that page, it says:

The term "Hyperverse" comes from two words: "hyper," which is used in mathematics to designate higher-dimensional space, and something extreme, above or beyond the usual level. As well as "verse" as a short for "universe". So it is intended as a description of a superior existence beyond conventional reality.

Similarly, "Hypoverse" is derived from "hypo", which is used as a suffix to mean being "under", "lesser than", or "below" something. Furthermore, it is the literary inverse of "hyper", which makes it a fitting complement to the existing terminology.

So "hyperverse" within this wiki means "higher-level universe," while "hypoverse" is the opposite, meaning "lower-level universe." Makes sense. However, notice that "outerverse" is not defined here, or anywhere. We seem to just use it as a way of saying "this structure is some level of 1-A" without defining it beyond that relation, which is bad because as an indexing site, we need to have some basis for the names and terms we use. If our users' only knowledge of what an outerverse is comes from the tier we assign the label to, then that just makes us look pretentious to outsiders.

Basically, my question is simple: Where does the name "outerverse" come from, and what does it mean beyond "it's 1-A"? Even if the answer is obvious, we still should explicitly define it somewhere so that we have a reference point for it, just as we define "hyperverse" and "hypoverse."

Well outer is used for "outside" stuff, so i assume it means something like "universe outside" so like, yeah the name feels weak tbh

Worked before when simple being outside of high 1-B could give you it

Well outer is used for "outside" stuff, so i assume it means something like "universe outside" so like, yeah the name feels weak tbh

does that mean that anti spiral is outerversal? because its universe is outside the multiverse, of the concepts of space-time, gravity, life, death and dimensions.
since anti spiral decides what happens in that universe

If I m outside my outside, dosent really means I trascend it tbh.

Maybe Ultraverse could replace it or sth along the lines...

Anyways outerverse came from comics afaik

I'm pretty sure they come from the Cthulhu Mythos and maybe from the Dream Quest
“Then will the marvellous sunset city be yours to cherish and inhabit forever, and once more will earth’s gods rule the dreams of men from their accustomed seat. Go now—the casement is open and the stars await outside. Already your shantak wheezes and titters with impatience. Steer for Vega through the night, but turn when the singing sounds. Forget not this warning, lest horrors unthinkable suck you into the gulf of shrieking and ululant madness. Remember the Other Gods; they are great and mindless and terrible, and lurk in the outer voids. They are good gods to shun.

i think omniverse fits more the high 1-B rating we have
outerverse sounds like being outside all verse which tbh is more fitting for how we treat 1-A

Back