• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Regarding Parliaments, Swamp Thing, and Animal Man (Post-Crisis)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No snarky comments here, we’re moving right into things

First things to get out of the way

This is marginally related to the existence of metaphysical parliaments, so the first thing of note is that The Writer needs a separate key for their manifestations in the plot. Not only are these manifestations physically able to be harmed by things like humans and animals without any special powers, but they are capable of death if the true writer does not deem them worth keeping around, as is what happened to Morrison when he joined the Suicide Squad.

There have been numerous writer avatars throughout DC, but the ones that are important to this revision are the monkey, Morrison, and possibly Stone.

Stone for those of you who have not subjected yourself to the toxic ball of sludge that is Animal Man past the Morrison run is an animal shaman who was the animal master before Tristess, Vixen, and Animal Man. It is heavily implied that Stone is the writer avatar responsible for overthrowing Morrison

Besides that, on the subject of Swamp Thing, the current idea that he is completely transcendent of metaphysical parliments entirely untrue. In context the current evidence used for that is actually a statement regarding him having access to elemental parliaments beyond the green.

With that in mind, regarding the nature of the four elemental parliaments and their power, Swamp Thing’s new state as God Swamp Thing is very clearly 1-A. The powers granted to him by the four parliaments were specifically for the purpose of overthrowing the Presence, with the Word, who exists to protect god, agreeing this will come to pass. The Word itself even refused to fight Swamp Thing until John Constantine had used the magic of the Parliament of Flames to strip him of his godhood and turn him into a human, as he had already become equal to God with just 3/4 of the powers of the parliaments. Had Swamp Thing not decided that humanity had potential, he would have removed humanity from existence against the wishes of the presence. Additionally, Tefé, who’s powers are drawn only from the Green and a limited amount of the Red, was able to create a form with the ability to simulate the voice of The Presence to cancel out the word.

In regard to the red, contrary to popular belief, the Post-Crisis Red is not actually a parliament in the same sense as the green, more does it share a dichotomy with it like in Post-flashpoint, but rather is closer to the analogue of the other four parliaments, which govern the elements of the earth, while the Red governs living organisms. The nature of the red is a existence that is The Implicate Order of all living beings who exist, have existed, will ever exist, and could ever exist. The Implicate is the higher plane of reality that is similar to Plato’s Archetypal reality, but deeper and more subtle. The basic idea of the the implicate is that “In the enfolded [or implicate] order, space and time are no longer the dominant factors determining the relationships of dependence or independence of different elements. Rather, an entirely different sort of basic connection of elements is possible, from which our ordinary notions of space and time, along with those of separately existent material particles, are abstracted as forms derived from the deeper order. These ordinary notions in fact appear in what is called the "explicate" or "unfolded" order, which is a special and distinguished form contained within the general totality of all the implicate orders” (Bohm 1980, p. xv), and contains all abstractions humanity has ever contemplated. This is confirmed to be the case for the DC universe as well, as the Red contains the realm of ideas and imagination, where all thought experiments like Maxwell’s Demon and Laplace’s Demon exist, as well as Heaven itself. The Overvoid itself is an example of the implicate, as it is the what all of reality is unfolded from rather than just living creatures. Likely for this reason, the Red exists on a level where all the plot, continuity, and retcons are visible to it as fiction, allowing it to not only reach the Pre-crisis Animal Man who had been consigned to limbo, which exists beyond even the godsphere, but also allowing for reach into the Overvoid itself to see the reader. This puts it in a scaling chain of 1-A, possibly High 1-A, due to reaching into this level as well as possibly exceeding certain writer avatars, who at the very least still have the power over the majority of normal existence due to their writings, such as the book with infinite pages

In regards to Swamp Thing’s connection and scaling to the Red, his god state should be comparable to the state Animal Man reached as the “body of god” through communion with the entirety of existence through the red which allowed him to surpass his previous limitations as an animal master to kill The Spider Queen, who held power over the entirety of the realm of imagination. This is because they are both a communion of the entirety of existence and the universe.

For this reason, God Swamp Thing should likely scale to the same feats as the Red and be the same tier. Animal Man himself is a whole other can of worms for tiering, so that will have to be discussed at a later revision. Also slightly off topic but the word should probably be 1-A as he’s supposed to guard the presence so it would likely make sense for him to be on a similar level to the spectre as he doesn’t seem to have the same restrictions as him either

Last edited:
Also, while we are on the topic of Swamp thing, shouldn't we do something about his high godly regen? It's outdated and might as well be downgraded to mid godly since he relies on the green's existence

Also, while we are on the topic of Swamp thing, shouldn't we do something about his high godly regen? It's outdated and might as well be downgraded to mid godly since he relies on the green's existence
I believe High-Godly now only requires you to survive the destruction of your concept or information

Everything seemingly looks legit so ill agree. Heres hoping we can handle this in a calm and collected manner.

The reason we only put God Swamp Thing as "possibly far higher" is because we had doubts if the statements from The Word could be taken conpletely at face value. Specially because the wishing matches of the Parliament of Flames could just strip it all away. But if it is agreed that they can be used, I also agree with the upgrade.

The reason we only put God Swamp Thing as "possibly far higher" is because we had doubts if the statements from The Word could be taken conpletely at face value. Specially because the wishing matches of the Parliament of Flames could just strip it all away. But if it is agreed that they can be used, I also agree with the upgrade.
Well, the thing is that the parliaments are already the source of God swamp thing’s power, and the parliament of flames being the oldest and most primal magic known to humanity, with magic already existing in the 1-A tiers of potency, along with the fact that the presence specifically denoted that Alec was a threat and that the parliaments knew ahead of time he would be deemed one, lends credence to all the Word’s statements even if there was doubt in them at face value. Additionall, it’s consistent with the powers of a single parliament being able to replicate the voice of the Presence and the similar feats performed by Animal Man with the Red

I think even without those factors it would have been hard to deny such clear cut statements, but those things really cement it

When did Presence denote Alec a threat though? Tefe's feat was very much not AP based and had more to do with her using the right frequency to cancel out The Word similar to how Superman cancelled out Darkseid. The Word was simultaneously destroying the Parliaments so I don't know how you're trying to scale the Parliament to Presence. And iirc "The Body of God" is just the Universal Soul which at one point was denoted as "How God would view the Universe". But if you want to scale it anyway nvm.

I think this makes sense and is straightforward enough to apply as far as I can tell.

And this might be a minor derail but Swamp Thing's High-Godly regeneration should probably be downgraded to At Least Low-Godly, as that's what the scan on his page implies.

Okay, so 1-A original Swamp Thing then?

Okay. 1-A is probably fine then, but we should likely wait a bit for more input first.

Last edited:
I actually have questions regarding the Red. The "retcons" part generally. The issue starts with The Writer writing the story and ends with Buddy's family being murdered. This is all a build up to when Buddy meets The Writer few issues later. So, my question is, hownmuch of those scenes can be attributed to the Red and how much can be attributed to The Writer. Especially during Morrison's run when he liked to do Meta stuff that included bringing Ultraman back and erasing him again. And the Imaginal Worlds, aren't they the Sphere of Gods and iirc the Red is actually a lower world part of these Imaginal Realms.

So what I got is that the Presence is the world soul or atleast the body of god, and people who can achieve it can basically become or wear the body of god? So would swampthing and animal man at their peak be realtive to the Presence or higher? Plus isn't the world soul above the red anyway?

No. I don't remember Body of God being anything more than a title to refer to Buddy's unborn child who is supposed to be the "map" of the Universe. The Soul more to say. The oy relation of it with the Presence, from what I can remember, is that God sees the World as a single Soul.
Animal%252520Man%25252085_17.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay. 1-A is probably fine then, but we should likely wait a bit for more input first.
Honestly god swamp thing shoukd be no wheres close to being 1-A he is legit planetary im not joking. Basically from what I remember there was some prophecy where swampy was supposed to rival the voice as earths God. The word came to the ppl behind swampy an told them he was gonna destroy the swamp thing. He played a game of cards with the man in which he won then he was about to go destroy swampy but the man did something an the word went to sleep for like two years. In the meantime swampy gained power from all three parliaments becoming extremely powerful. At some point john an stranger teamed up an woke the word up who went to each parliament and demanded them to sway swamp thing or be destroyed. Hint hint they were destroyed. In the meantime john went an talked with alexs wife an kid saying that alex was gonna destroy the world. And the word coukd stop him but alexs daughter knew how to stop the wordso the government takes his daughter under alexs wifes words. An john goes to swampy an uses the matches on him just to be sure an leaves him. The word comes and has a talk with alex who is mad at god. For allowing wars and pain an suffering to happen he is mad because he doesn't help as often as he should. In the meantime john has a change of heart an frees his daughter who goes to alex we learn that she knows roughly the frequency of the voice an she unspeaks the word without anymore opposition swampy takes his final test from the parliament of fire and he gains full control of the world. An i mean thats literally all he did he did not surpass the presence lemme explain what happened next. After this happened alex was invited by the parliament of worlds who explain that alex Holland is dead an went to heaven. They explain that swampy became a world. And more importantly they explain god. billions of years ago before the universe began all was singular all knowing it was the primordial atom it was god. Eventually something happened and he split creating the universe and once everynow an a great while when you reach an enlightenment like swampy you my be able to see god. You see swmpy is the earth god is the universe in that story . He never surpassed him and he isn't multiversal by any stretch

Honestly god swamp thing shoukd be no wheres close to being 1-A he is legit planetary im not joking. Basically from what I remember there was some prophecy where swampy was supposed to rival the voice as earths God. The word came to the ppl behind swampy an told them he was gonna destroy the swamp thing. He played a game of cards with the man in which he won then he was about to go destroy swampy but the man did something an the word went to sleep for like two years. In the meantime swampy gained power from all three parliaments becoming extremely powerful. At some point john an stranger teamed up an woke the word up who went to each parliament and demanded them to sway swamp thing or be destroyed. Hint hint they were destroyed. In the meantime john went an talked with alexs wife an kid saying that alex was gonna destroy the world. And the word coukd stop him but alexs daughter knew how to stop the wordso the government takes his daughter under alexs wifes words. An john goes to swampy an uses the matches on him just to be sure an leaves him. The word comes and has a talk with alex who is mad at god. For allowing wars and pain an suffering to happen he is mad because he doesn't help as often as he should. In the meantime john has a change of heart an frees his daughter who goes to alex we learn that she knows roughly the frequency of the voice an she unspeaks the word without anymore opposition swampy takes his final test from the parliament of fire and he gains full control of the world. An i mean thats literally all he did he did not surpass the presence lemme explain what happened next. After this happened alex was invited by the parliament of worlds who explain that alex Holland is dead an went to heaven. They explain that swampy became a world. And more importantly they explain god. billions of years ago before the universe began all was singular all knowing it was the primordial atom it was god. Eventually something happened and he split creating the universe and once everynow an a great while when you reach an enlightenment like swampy you my be able to see god. You see swmpy is the earth god is the universe in that story . He never surpassed him and he isn't multiversal by any stretch
I’d appreciate if you explained what you’re referring to with even a modicum of basic grammar

Yeah, let's ignore the very blatant scans and thorough explanations above and go with someone's recollections of a story with no sourced evidence or scans. Totally how we do things here.

I’d appreciate if you explained what you’re referring to with even a modicum of basic grammar
Ok basically what im saying is swampy got mad at god for not doing anything. So he wanted to take over the world an become its supreme god. Eventually swampy succeeded in taking over the world an was invited amongst the parliament of worlds who congratulated him on becoming one of them they then explain to him tht god was the primordial atom that split and you can only see him through certain enlightenment. So simply put god swampy is planetary. And he never surpassed god who by all means is technically long since dead in that story

Scans? Quotes? Explanations as to why he'd only be that tier in context?

@Immortalgodd
I appreciate your input and I have some explanation

in regards to your first post, it is true that it is not an AP feat, but that doesn’t actually matter here. On the contrary, it’s useful because it demonstrates that parliaments can have hax and such with such a high potency, which is consistent with the matches of the parliaments. It is not intended to result in upgrading the Parliaments to 1-A or High 1-A or to the presence. In fact I’m not quite sure how you reached that conclusion since it wasn’t mentioned in the OP but that’s neither here nor there. We know the presence designated him as a threat because it’s specifically explained the Word is undertaking these actions under their orders. And that is the nature of the world soul, but i fail to grasp how that actually negates the feats it’s done because, even ignoring the rest of the story, the Spider Queen was going to gain control over everything by gaining control over it and Animal Man defeated her by understanding the nature of it’s divinity was within everyone

in regards to your second point, I’m not sure what retcons you‘re referring to? The only metafiction that I used in my scans was the part in which Animal Man explicitly communed with the red through Peyote, the writer had yet to even really become a major part of that story until then, and the red is very clearly shown to be intertwined with their metafiction anyway.

“And the Imaginal Worlds, aren't they the Sphere of Gods and iirc the Red is actually a lower world part of these Imaginal Realms.“

Well, if you have evidence for what you remember I’d appreciate seeing it but the red is never referred to as being a lower world. In fact, quite the opposite, the existence the Spider Queen resides at is specifically shown to be within the existence of the red, as animal man reaches it by mentally entering the red and Spider Queen warns him that he needs to leave by exiting the red. There is no reason to assume the Red is below the Godsphere especially with all the evidence towards the contrary.

Im asking you to be slightly accommodating to make this easier (or so i dont have to retype this all out) plz read the misconceptions section in the following link i did put it in there just scroll through it till you find it shouldn't take long at all You my find it Here

I actually went over this with Ultima in DMs, but basically, this is textbook size fallacy. Even with the highest possible downplay, all the other beings in the Parliament of Worlds are shown to be 4-D and Earth is special in DC cosmology because of numerous cosmology events centered around it. The fact of the matter is, being a planet does not suddenly make someone less powerful in the tiering system. Just look at Nasuverse with its 2-A planets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back