• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobsican

He/Him
So I started wondering if it was allowed to add in the name section of a profile stuff that´s normally only reffered to in certain IRL countries.

For example in Spain, Bomberman is called "Don Pepe y los globos", which in english means Mr. Pepe and the ballons.

All Pokémon (but Pikachu) also fall in this.

DragonEmperor23 said:
I got so confused when I found out that Marcus Damon was called Masaru Daimon on here.
I have to agree with that, I actually was like "huh, probably a bootleg or so", then I check it and I´m like "WTH!?"

Well we tend to do so to Digimon. I don't see why other verses can't. Although it's usually the English and original name we use.

This is an english only speaking community, so there cant really be any foreign names.

I totally gotta do it with Inazuma Eleven though rip

...Yeah? Thats an English page of a hispanic character. Change it if you want, but hardly any of these profiles need this

Dragonmasterxyz said:
At most we'd do stuff like this;
Name: Charizard, Lizardon (Original Japanese name)
Well, there´s really no reason to not do this, it would also help foreign users to easily find the character they are searching for.

What Dragon said. We could include the kanji for his original name and its translation in the summary at best, I believe.

Usually characters are most know by the names they have in their original language and the english names.

I think those two can be listed, but I would refrain from listing anything else.

Otherwise we end up with 100 different names on profiles.

DontTalkDT said:
Usually characters are most know by the names they have in their original language and the english names.
I think those two can be listed, but I would refrain from listing anything else.

Otherwise we end up with 100 different names on profiles.
This seems good enought.

But for Pokémon this is really needed, as the series don´t tend to promote the "english" names.

Okay but again, foreign users arent expecting any of their language on an English site.

It wouldnt hurt to add it to like, a description, but i very much doubt anyone who doesnt know english is going to be on this site for a while

I think we should use the english names and have the names in other places in the "Name" section. For example (From Viper (Azure Striker Gunvolt)):

Name: Viper, Daytona (Japanese name), "The Burning Wrath"

No clue why I chose that specific character, just was the first character with names in different countries I can think of off the top of my head.

Well, I think it would be fine if the names couldn´t be literally just the same thing in another language in the profile.

For example, I´ve heard that Sonic´s name in other countries is literally translated to what the english one means, which would be obviously redundant.

Including names that actually bring new stuff to the table would be useful, as that would easily improve the popularity of the site.

By the way, why I can´t really use Google Translate anywhere in FANDOM?

I agree that only the English and original (usually Japanese) names should be listed.

@Bobsican

You can use Google Chrome's translating function if you wish.

Well, it´s just that it doesn´t appear next to the star to add a favorite page.

Eh, probably not something too important.

I guess this can be allowed if the result doesn´t make it take too much space in the name section.

I wonder what's the method you wanna use for this. If you're going to list any and all names that were changed in other languages, then for Russian it would affect 99% of profiles just because we use another script (Cyrillic), i.e. even if pronunciation of a character X's name is exactly the same as in the original language, it will be written in another way.

But if you're going to include only those versions that are way different from certain original names, may I ask you then:

1. How the names will be introduced to the profiles?
  2. How people will find out about the wiki by the names?
  3. Will you add the names verse by verse?
  4. Are you planning to ask native speakers of various languages for help you in this?

I am very strongly against any unnecessary major revisions, and think that our current system is perfectly fine.

1: Must have: Enlgish name and the original language (the one we already do).

Optional, meant to just complement the profile: all names it may have in other lcountries so long it has a different meaning when translated, rather than just a different pronunciation or abecedary used to write it; this is so we don´t get over 50 names of a character that are technically the same thing.

2: Surely something like (insert some text you probably wouldn´t know how to read) in a web browser.

3: Can you explain what you mean?

4: Well, that´s normally not necesary, most wikis already do that research for us.

This is not something to be used as a proper "norm" or something like that, as in that "you must add any variant of the name of a character in its profile so long it has a different meaning, having only the sentence for the name structured differently or written with another sort of abecedary doesn´t count unless it also means something else than the default name it has".

This is more of like a way for users to feel free to add some names without worring that our formatting standarts may not allow them, as a just a sort of guide if the user that´s submiting a profile may add a bit more of information about the character.

I do not think that it is necessary to add other names than the original language and the translation into English.

It is not meant as something to actually do, but as in to just state that´s allowed to do so as long it follows the criteria I said before.

It would easily spam the names sections with different languages, so I do not think that it is a good idea.

Well, we could just add some more specifications in the Standart Formats pages, as just a note that explains it.

I still do not think that it is a good idea to encourage people to search for character names in every language in which they have been published, and then make a massive amount of unnecessary edits that will cause very large amounts of extra work for me to inspect.

In that case, we should at least state in the standart formats that it should only have the enlgish name and the "original" name.

We do not need to. The current system is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back