• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Forward velocity. We don't really use the speed that a bird flaps its wings for anything.

Spinosaurus75DinosaurFan said:
Using more average values of 70 kg, 252.5 cm^2 (average), 0.1 m depth and 0.23 seconds (average), it's 69.9 m/s forward velocity and 85.4 m/s feet hitting water speed.
So... the source of the said figures?

Can we borrow figures from what we get from running on sand instead?

But the way:

Average "average human" weighs at 62.0 kg and stands at 1.684 m (mid-point of United States male height at 175.3 cm and United States female height at 161.5 cm).

An average 2016 Japanese male at 25-29 years old weighs at 66.82 kg and stands at 1.7185 m.

@Jason Those Mount Tai feats are laughably specific, they do not belong on the references for common feats page. We don't need a reference feat for every single mountain on Earth, we only need references for generic mountains, which are generally found in the Mountain and Island level requirements page.

Also, why was that vacuum creation speed feat added?? It wasn't evaluated on the blog post, it wasn't evaluated on this thread, and I can see issues with the calc myself...

My bad, there, I thought it was evaluated already and agreed here. I will removed it.

• Edit: done

Agnaa said:
@Jason Those Mount Tai feats are laughably specific, they do not belong on the references for common feats page. We don't need a reference feat for every single mountain on Earth, we only need references for generic mountains, which are generally found in the Mountain and Island level requirements page.
I can move that into this specifically designated page instead. Should I compile into that?

Maybe I will do that some time later (working for now). Tell me by the time you unlock the pages thanks.

I think making standard calcs for a mountain I've never heard of is already way too far down a slippery slope; I don't think it belongs in the Mountain & Island level requirements page either.

Just make a calc blog for it that can be referenced in the few instances it comes up.

Agnaa said:
I think making standard calcs for a mountain I've never heard of is already way too far down a slippery slope; I don't think it belongs in the Mountain & Island level requirements page either.
Just make a calc blog for it that can be referenced in the few instances it comes up.
You may ask Mariogoods to explain why this should be a common feat.

Cutting a mountain in half? Well our Mountain and Island level requirements says that a small mountain is 609.6 m tall and 2180.2 m wide, assuming you vertically cut the mountain in two exactly equal halves.

Triangle area: 2180.2*609.6/2 = 664 524.96 m^2

Tensile strength of rock is 60 MPa, and shear force is 0.6 of tensile strength.

664524.96*60000000*0.6 = 2.3922899e13 N

Height of the mountain is 609.6 m, so

2.3922899e13*609.6 = 1.4583399e16 Joules or Small City level

So... the source of the said figures?

Can we borrow figures from what we get from running on sand instead?

But the way:

Average "average human" weighs at 62.0 kg and stands at 1.684 m (mid-point of United States male height at 175.3 cm and United States female height at 161.5 cm).

An average 2016 Japanese male at 25-29 years old weighs at 66.82 kg and stands at 1.7185 m.

252.5 cm^2 and 0.23 s are average values given by the calculator, while 0.1 is a reasonable assumption imo.

Using 62 kg for the average human instead of 70, we get 85.4 m/s.

Some other common speed feats btw, since the page seems to lack speed feats:

Speed required to catch fire for a human is Mach 5, but Mach 2.02 is enough if you are wearing clothes.

Force of static friction is ╬╝s*m*g, while force of drag is 0.5*p*v^2*C*A. Equating the two forces, v = sqrt(2╬╝mg/pCA)

Average weight of a human is 62 kg, density of air (p) is 1.225, drag coefficient is 1.15 for humans, cross-sectional area is 0.68 for human, coefficient of static friction varies but for humans it's usually 0.4 (depends on the surface though).

sqrt((2*0.4*62*9.81)/(1.225*1.15*0.68)) = 22.54 m/s

That's the minimum speed of winds to blow a human off his feet. Seems overwhelmingly lower than I thought though.

Um...you may want to double check that. I put in 62 kg, 252.5 cm, 0.1 m, 0.23 s, and I got 61.9 m/s.

That's a 50 mph wind caught face first, flat footed, unbraced...when you're not expecting it. If you have any chance at all to brace yourself, you're also exerting a force the wind has to overcome in addition to the force of static friction. That's the minimum to make you move, but it would really only knock you down if you were uncoordinated or had a slow reaction time.

(That's for a really, really light person - says the American).

@ChemistKyle89 My apologies, I read the feet hitting water speed instead, plus I might have selected the wrong gravity.

Yeah but that's the bare minimum.

Holy shit the big tree wields 9-A+

Also I think we should add values for v. frag and pulv for various tree types in our References for Common Feats page and make it into a table like Jasonsith's done.

Though I'm shit at making tables, so y'all can go loud.

KLOL506 said:
Holy shit the big tree wields 9-A+

Also I think we should add values for v. frag and pulv for various tree types in our References for Common Feats page and make it into a table like Jasonsith's done.

Though I'm shit at making tables, so y'all can go loud.
The big tree feat yield comes from totally destroying one big tree found in dense big forests - in full. Trees found in urban areas or in smaller forests usually fall within the "smaller tree" range.

And I can reassure: fitting all data of different tree species into one table as a "common feat" is a huge project. Simpler than expected, but just super tedious.

And things may get a bit easier if we can name some common trees.

Speaking of which, ALVH Lincol has a 9-A feat from "destroying a tree" but I cannot get the picture / cap screen of it. I wonder if fiction says "destroying" trees how are the author actually picturing it.

Theoretically I can do it quite easily on my desktop but my desktop just "burns out" and is under repair.

Someone should ask DontTalkDT to evaluate the calcs in Jasonsith's blog.

Although if he's too busy we might have to ask a couple others too.

You know anything about that the classification of the tree?

Wonder if this feat has been covered in my previous calculation or someone else may wish to determine the exact portion of the tree chopped off. I eyeballed it and estimated this feat is not 9-A at all.

Other than it being some kind of pine, I don't know any more than that? It might be Red Pine.

This strike in particular accomplished two things:

1. It cut the tree in half by passing through ~ half the tree. That's the KE of the strike on the tree. If your calc is for the diameter of the tree, then I'd probably cut that part in half. Wouldn't the other half be overcoming the shear strength of the wood?

2. It launched the tree up in the air some distance that would require a pixel calc to determine the distance the tree is raised (left side to left side since that is where it was cleanly cut) and someone using frame-by-frame to get the time, as well as someone getting a mass on the tree. That's the KE of the tree, which was imparted upon it by the axe strike.

Does all that together add up to 9-A? Idk.

Actually, This would be a "Smaller Tree". Near the start of the video, Lincoln says, "That's got to be more than a foot across". Your smaller tree calc uses 31.75 cm as the diameter, which is 12.5 inches.

If it's red pine, you'd replace the 61.3633 with 41.8512, so that would be even lower. 25137.44135 * 41.8512 = 1,052,032.085 J, then divide by two for only applying to half the tree = 526,016.0427 J

Red Pine has a shear strength of 690 PSI, but I'm not sure how to get it from that to a number we can use for the other half of the tree.

So, I went and did the scaling and used the conical frustrum calculator for the volume of the tree. The two methods were pretty close. It turned out to not be a dead center cut after scaling.

The two different methods came out to within 4.71% of each other, and some of that may have been because I had to estimate the full height of the cut portion of the tree (since there is no frame that has the full cut portion within frame). I played around with the numbers a little bit and changing the volume of the tree had a fairly negligible impact (~ 0.01% change).

Lincoln Vs Tree is submitted for eval after I messaged Elizhaa and got the go ahead.

Votron5 said:
What about a destroying a glacier or freezing the Earth's oceans?
Destroying a glacier - size of glacier to be determined.

Freezing all of Earth ocean - here

Just wanna ask how the material destruction values get updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back