• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Questionable MCU Doctor Strange scaling

I was browsing the profile pages for the MCU versions of Doctor Strange, Kaecilius and the Ancient One, and noticed that we're rating them as 'City level with magic' based on the notion of the Masters of the Mystic Arts not considering the likes of Loki, Ultron, or other non-mystical enemies as threats.

I'm wondering why this is accepted as I personally find it to be a rather dubious line of reasoning, since not once in the movie did they ever say or even imply that those enemies weren't threats. It's just that they knew that others, such as the Avengers, were available to handle the problem those enemies presented, so there would no need for the Masters to reveal their existence to the world. I think it's more likely that Loki, Ultron, and the like are simply outside of their jurisdiction instead of the Masters not being threatened by them.

"While heroes like the Avengers protect the world from physical dangers, we sorcerers safeguard it against more mystical threats." ―Wong

I think it's from an interview. Although I think they could simply outhax those threats instead of being just more powerful.

It might be that but then again consider that Kaecilius is basically warping the entire city in the mirror world. Arguable on its apllication in real life but notable.

Yeah, they have reality warping feats to help support the notion that they are as strong as the Avengers.

CoreOfimBalance(COB) said:
It might be that but then again consider that Kaecilius is basically warping the entire city in the mirror world. Arguable on its apllication in real life but notable.
That could largely have been due to Dormammu's influence though, which likely strengthened Kaecilius' magic since warping reality outside the Mirror Dimension is not supposed to be possible even for sorcerers.

I agree with them being at an advantage with their hax but I still don't see how that justifies City level attack potency.

RadicalMrR said:
The same magic they use to attack, they use to defend with the shields.
Yes but outside of reality warping hax that magic doesn't have much in the way of raw destructive feats.

AppleLord said:
Doctor Strange can just warp Ultron to the mirror dimension and he's never seen again. Role credits.
We know this... but it doesn't mean that Strange's attack potency should scale to Ultron's since that sort of feat would be an example of hax/BFR, not destructive force.

I also think that ConsumingFire seems to make sense, but it is probably best if I inform Matthew about this thread.

It is not Wong's statement. It is a statement from Kevin Feige, the director of the MCU.

http://www.gamesradar.com/doctor-strange-marvel-cinematic-universe/

"There are people inhabiting the same world that are stopping buildings from falling down, robots from doing this, aliens from doing that", Kevin Feige explained to Collider. "These people in this movie are stopping inter-dimensional forces from wiping out all of reality".

"So although it doesn't necessarily come up we've always assumed that the sorcerers have bigger fish to fry when they hear there's something in a city or there's a bank being robbed. They're not thinking about it. They're thinking if we don't keep vigilant our sense of reality will disappear, and there won't be a bank to rob and there won't be a city to be conquered".

The idea is that they don't stop thieves from robbing banks, or dictators from conquering a nation, or a supervillain from destroying a city is that they can't afford to waste time with such small fry. They deal with threats that could destroy the whole Earth, or the entirety of the Cosmos. And if they fail, there won't be a bank or jewelry to be robbed, or a nation to be destroyed.

Though, if all else fails, someone could please calculate this feat from the Prequel Comic:

DocPrequel
DocPrequel2
This sorcerer covered a large portion of London in thick dark clouds in seconds through her magic. And such a feat would certainly scale to Strange, the Ancient One, Kaecillius and Mordo.

Is it actually clouds? Cause if so, then it's actually super easy to calc. If its just some sort of formless magi or anything, I don't think it be quantifiable.

It's magic that is covering the city. We use clouds as a means of applying the best next thing, like most calcs do, as their effect in the city (Covering the sun and leaving the city in darkness) is the same effect as storm-clouds.

Okay, although it would probably be best to link to the interview within Doctor Strange's profile.

Well if that's the case.

Did the cloud cover all of London or just the Horizon? Also, is there any indication of a timeframe other then it just being fast? Because it could be anywhere from Town level to Island level from a glance.

Well, linking to the interview should probably be sufficient.

I just remembered that Loki is actually on Strange's list of threats...

Anyway, yes, I feel that scaling from the prequel comic and the interview instead of scaling directly from Ultron or other non-mystic villains would be more appropriate.

Matthew Schroeder said:
Strange and Thor will likely be portrayed as comparable in Thor 3, seeing as they'll team up.
Which makes me hope they'll finally transition Asgard from "science is magic" to just straight-up magic like in the comics.

So unless anyone disagrees with scaling by the prequel comic or interview, I believe a consensus has been reached.

Back