• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Question about Pokemon Trainers and Pokemon movesets

Kazuma_kuwabara

She/Her
Hello everyone, I am here to ask a simple question

We have pokemon like Latios who has a lot of moves like Power Split or Heal Block but then we have Trainers like Anabel who owns a Latios but lacks a lot of what a wild Latios can use

I could understand it with Pokemon like Alakazam who can be born in the hands of a trainer or be caught while being an Abra who only knows teleport (and even then, we have in Alakazam´s pages a perfect Abra who has all his eggs moves) but why Trainers who owns legendaries does not have a "Perfect" Legendary?

Pokemon like Groudon who are caught should not lack any type of moves they naturally own, there is only one Groudon in the Pokemon world and it makes no sense to the trainer who owns the Groudon not be able to use all of his moveset

My proposal is to give the trainers with legendaries all the movesets the legendary should have, exceptions can be made with pokemon like Urshifu who are more known for being Pokemon that can become stronger with the trainer and can even be obtained as a Kubfu

Edit: For now, Therealcathoward, Yemma and Arceus agree, XXkingxx Disagree and people have debunked his arguments

Last edited:
My proposal is to give the trainers with legendaries all the movesets the legendary should have, exceptions can be made with pokemon like Urshifu who are more known for being Pokemon that can become stronger with the trainer and can even be obtained as a Kubfu
Hard to explain. But the reason wild Pokemon have all moves is because we assume all wild Pokémon are in perfect condition, with perfect evs and iv.

As for trainers. I'm not too sure why

This is dumb asf. Eternatus is ONE.

You're trying to use a different Canon to explain main canon AGAIN. Pretty sure at best masters happens in a different timeline entirely
No, I literally showed evidence of more than 1 Eternatus. Masters is canon, there's a flashback which just uses footage of Sword and Shield which I showed there, and the developers made sure it fit into the Pokemon canon

Hard to explain. But the reason wild Pokemon have all moves is because we assume all wild Pokémon are in perfect condition, with perfect evs and iv.

You know for a fact its never confirmed anywhere that there's only 1 legendary in the world at a time

There are literally more than 1 Regi trio members even, like Brandon has one, but there's another one chilling that got one shot by Urshifu. We even see

Yes, but Legendaries are "unique" in that regard, so you are catching a wild groudon and suddenly it becomes ******** and forgot to use solar beam

. I believe there's a reason for why legendaries don't get that privilege , but I'm not the one who agreed to those changes

Uh, as far as Eternatus goes, isn't it literally a man made pokemon?
Its not, it came from a meteor

There are more examples:

There's more than 1 Lugia in the anime. In the games, there are explicitly more than 1 bird trio, since they eventually adapted to Galar's environments and got their Galarian forms like any other regional variant Pokemon

I believe they should have all moves. There's no reason for them not to.

After all, trained Pokémon are more skilled than wild Pokémon, who're allowed all their moves

The thing is, the trainers mostly don't go beyond what they're been shown to use, even if they're in trouble, so we can't tell whether it's pis, or the trainer Pokémon doesn't have all their moves

I believe they should have all moves. There's no reason for them not to.

After all, trained Pokémon are more skilled than wild Pokémon, who're allowed all their moves

The thing is, the trainers mostly don't go beyond what they're been shown to use, even if they're in trouble, so we can't tell whether it's pis, or the trainer Pokémon doesn't have all their moves
Not every wild legendary knows every move. There are very skilled trainers like Cynthia who's garchomp can't properly use outrage

I'll just pretend I didn't know the context of that gif

Why can't Cynthia highly trained Garchomp use a move Cynthia herself was very confident it was capable of. You can see the surprise on her face when the move stopped mid activation

I'll just pretend I didn't know the context of that gif

Why can't Cynthia highly trained Garchomp use a move Cynthia herself was very confident it was capable of. You can see the surprise on her face when the move stopped mid activation
How would I know and why would that matter?

Because that was a gif from the episode where Dialga and Palkia were reversing the universe and Garchomp simply forgot its move and was reverted into its Pre evolution(or an egg, I don't remember this bit)

Because that was a gif from the episode where Dialga and Palkia were reversing the universe and Garchomp simply forgot its move and was reverted into its Pre evolution(or an egg, I don't remember this bit)
This reminds me, this should give Dialga power nullification for being able to forcefully make Pokémon forget moves and become weaker evolutions and even eggs

And it’s not memory based since memories weren’t effected by the time reversal.

This reminds me, this should give Dialga power nullification for being able to forcefully make Pokémon forget moves and become weaker evolutions and even eggs

They could just be unable to use moves because they are much younger. Not power null

Don’t levels exist in Pokémon anime? If garchomps level was getting closer to 0, then it would make sense that it would lose access to certain moves right?

I mean it would be acted in a way that’s like power null, plus the anime has shown us before that age and evolution aren’t necessarily linked to each other.
It does, if a Pokemon is reverted to when it was younger during a time when it couldn't use a move, then logically it wouldn't be able to use said move

It's a mix of age manipulation and time manipulation, Power null is also an added bonus. I call that Reactive Devolution.. Hehe
Yes you're right. Power null is just an added bonus when they do that.

Don’t levels exist in Pokémon anime? If garchomps level was getting closer to 0, then it would make sense that it would lose access to certain moves right?
They don't exist in the anime. It was mentioned once or twice when Pokémon was in its early seasons but was dropped entirely

We're off topic....

Anyway, questions relevant to trainers having all moves have been answered.

Would appreciate if you gave us your thoughts about this.

If you can show me where levels are mentioned anymore, be it the professors, trainers or the Pokedex, let me know
You already said that they were mentioned in the anime. Them not being mentioned doesn't mean they don't exist anymore, like do you think if a gym leader hasn't been mentioned for over 10 years its just not canon anymore?

Okay..... Can you tell me the level of any Pokémon currently. Just one

If you can't, then stop dragging this out

Aight considering without me it's becoming a clusterfudge once again i will be commenting.

I agree with legendaries knowing every move as that would make sense, not to mention that in the anime trainers can seemingly switch up their pokemon's moves freely, similarly to PLA. As evidence we can use Ash completely changing Heracross' moveset to a rest-sleeptalk combo in the small timeframe between his fights. Considering there seem to be no TMs or HMs in the anime, that is the only explanation.

Levels do not exist in the anime the same way they exist in games and manga. There's literally one episode in the og anime that talks about levels where the whole point is that the level system was flawed and the kid who stomped misty in that one simulator ended up getting his ass handed to him with no effort from Misty's side. Since then they haven't been mentioned once and pokemon seem to choose when to evolve by themselves, even if they're strong enough to handle the regi trio (bulbasaur and squirtle vs regice and i think regirock)

Aight considering without me it's becoming a clusterfudge once again i will be commenting.

I agree with legendaries knowing every move as that would make sense, not to mention that in the anime trainers can seemingly switch up their pokemon's moves freely, similarly to PLA. As evidence we can use Ash completely changing Heracross' moveset to a rest-sleeptalk combo in the small timeframe between his fights. Considering there seem to be no TMs or HMs in the anime, that is the only explanation.

Levels do not exist in the anime the same way they exist in games and manga. There's literally one episode in the og anime that talks about levels where the whole point is that the level system was flawed and the kid who stomped misty in that one simulator ended up getting his ass handed to him with no effort from Misty's side. Since then they haven't been mentioned once and pokemon seem to choose when to evolve by themselves, even if they're strong enough to handle the regi trio (bulbasaur and squirtle vs regice and i think regirock)
Ash lets his Pokemon learn new moves a lot, and a Pokemon can have more than 4 moves consistently. And the heracross example has nothing to do with legendaries knowing all moves.

Levels are completely irrelevant here, a lot of Pokemon have to train to learn new moves. Pokemon cannot just evolve whenever they want, they have to train and grow stronger.

Back