• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Question about Destiny Bond

I've seen the move Destiny Bond on various Pokémon profiles as Death Manipulation? Is there any particular reason why it is that? As far as I can tell, the name implies Fate Manipulation more than Death Manipulation. But I don't know of anything else that implies either way otherwise. Anyone more knowledgeable on the 'verse than me who can shed some light?

Huh. Never seen that power before.

Though about that power's page... If a Pokémon move has to be used for its example, isn't Endeavor a far better example?

Destiny Bond isn't Damage Transferal. It will one shot the target if the user goes down, regardless of the amount of damage that's done. As long as the opponent knocks out the user, even if the opponent only did a single point of damage to do it while the opponent was at 100% health, they would still go down.

I feel like Pain Split is easier to explain than Endeavor, but Endeavor's an example of damage transferral for sure

Anyway, back on topic. With ThatDarnFish's argument (which seems very agreeable to me. It doesn't transfer damage. It takes the target down with the user), what makes it Death manip?

I feel Destiny Bond, in a death battle scenario, would count as both Fate and Death manipulation, since it ensures the opponent shares the same fate with the user, that being death. And it instantly takes out the opponent without dealing direct damage. They just... drop. Death Manipulation usually refers to inducing instant death in some way that doesn't involve directly damaging the target, or killing them without doing as much damage as it would normally take to kill them, ignoring duarability and the like.

It's fate manipulation that only works via death (or KO). So, death manip via fate manip? Or just a limited fate manipulation.

Then I guess it should be updated on relevant profiles (I know that at least Gengar's has it as Death manip)

Back