• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Dark Tower: A Proposal About Ka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gewsbumpz_dude

Username Only
Explanation/Introduction
I passingly mentioned this in my first book Pennywise CRT, but it didn't go anywhere due to a lack of feedback. So I'm back here, making another CRT on Stephen King's drug-fueled fever dream.

In The Dark Tower, this thing known as "Ka" is established. In the books, it is explained as pretty much what we know as destiny/fate. During my original research on Pennywise, I stumbled upon Stephen King's website, and what I found there was an official glossary for all the various terms used in the verse, including Ka. Here is the High Speech definition of Ka;

Like many words in High Speech, ka has multiple meanings and so is difficult to define precisely. It signifies life force, consciousness, duty, and destiny. In the vulgate, or LOW SPEECH, it also means a place to which an individual must go. The closest terms in our language are probably fate and destiny, although ka also implies karma, or the accumulated destiny (and accumulated debt) of many existences. We are the servants of ka, but we are also its prisoners. Ka’s one purpose is to turn, and we turn with it, albeit sometimes under different names and in different bodies. In The Dark Tower (Book VII of the Dark Tower series) ka is compared to a train hurtling forward, one which may not be sane.
This definition implies that one's Ka (destiny), mind, and life-force are all the same thing. This is somewhat backed up in the book, The Drawing of the Three, where we see a guy manage to separate his Ka from his body. This state was described similarly to a disembodied consciousness or ghost. On top of this, in the book The Outsider, it is also implied that one's Ka and soul are the same thing.

As for what exactly this entails for Pennywise and the wider verse. Given this (That a person's fate, mind, soul, and life-force are all the same thing), any case where a character is manipulating someone's mind for instance, they're also affecting these other facets. Not only warranting Mind Manipulation, but also Soul Manipulation, Fate Manipulation, and Life Manipulation. This includes Pennywise, who is already established to be capable of manipulating minds and souls in his own book, IT. At the very least, a possibly can be put on the page.

For Pennywise specifically, this also gives him a resistance to Life Manipulation and Fate Manipulation. Pennywise already has a resistance to mind hax and soul hax due to his mind/soul being the Deadlights, an outerversal entity, and given minds, souls, fates, and life-forces are all the same thing, the Deadlights would also encompass Penny's fate and life-force.

Votes
Agree: Rutæhh, Lephers (Is a bit iffy on Fate Manipulation), Planck69, Elizhaa, TaiwaneseScaler (???)

Disagree:

Neutral:

Last edited:
Well if WoG straight up says these are one in the same, it is what it is

My concern is, the part about mind = soul/spirit seems elaborated on the books from what is shown in the OP, but what about Fate being = mind/soul/life force? Is this elaborated and/or shown that by controlling someone's mind you can change their fate? Because it seems to me this part is being extrapolated from what it means to be under "fate" (not the metaphysical power as defined in battle boarding), as in, by controlling their actions/choices, you are indeed "changing their fate".

Am I making sense?

Touche.

Admittedly, I don't have a specific showing like that as of now. I can at least say that generally, when it comes to fate/destiny/Ka, there isn't a moment where it isn't literal (The metaphysical power. It is literally the future of a person, and they're bound to it).

Last edited:
Touche.

Admittedly, I don't have a specific showing like that as of now. I can at least say that generally, when it comes to fate/destiny/Ka, there isn't a moment where it isn't literal (The metaphysical power. It is literally the future of a person, and they're bound to it).
Well, me personally am more conservative with this kind of thing, but again, if King himself states Ka is literally the Fate of someone, and a character manipulates the Ka, it is what it is

@Lonkitt @Planck69 @LordGriffin1000 @Armorchompy @Elizhaa @Qawsedf234

Your help here would be appreciated

Well, me personally am more conservative with this kind of thing, but again, if King himself states Ka is literally the Fate of someone, and a character manipulates the Ka, it is what it is
In the OP, I said that a "possibly" can suffice. How does a possibly for Fate Manipulation sound?

Yea agree with everything here this is just straight up Boundless tier 0 shi honestly when the Dark Tower Dark Towered, I Towered all over the place. Truly a feat worthy of Boundless If not make it above the tiering system. Though Goku is still stronger because he's omnipotent

Well, if my peers deem that a "possibly" is warranted, I can accept that (I was actually going for solid, funny enough, but hey!)

With that, the revision has been accepted. Once the 48 hrs are done, this can be added.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back