• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Puyo Puyo buff (Or at least Satan) (And also Shin Madou Monogatari/The Creator stuff)

Puyo Puyo characters should likely be buffed to Universal, or at least Satan if nobody else.

In Puyo Puyo 20th anniversary, when Ecolo says that with Satan's power he could destroy "everything and anything". And this isn't Ecolo and Satan's power combined, Ecolo specifically says that he was releasing limiters on Satan's power. Satan was also concerned about the release of his own power.

Notably, the characters in the game are able to fight Satan in this state, though it is implied that Satan was somehow resisting this possession.

Other characters might get this combined with scaling to Ecolo likely having nearly enough power to be uni in his fight with Arle, Amity and Ringo.

Satan being Uni or Multi at his full power is also supported by Arle initially believing Satan to be responsible for the merging of worlds in Puyo Puyo Tetris, likely meaning she was confident he'd be capable of doing so. Arle even believed Satan would do this merely out of boredom.

As for the events of the Shin Madou Monogatari, I'm just gonna past what I found on the Japanese wikipedia page on the subject. It's worth noting that this is just Google Translated, the full Wikipedia page in it's original language can be found here if anyone wants to properly translate.

True Magic Tales setting

Later, in the compilation, there was a movement to reconstruct the world view and setting of the "Demon Story" series so far, to eliminate the contradictions between each work, and to create a unified setting with the same time axis and the same world. In this new worldview, the world in which Puyo Puyo is set is said to be about 1,000 years after the time of The Magic Story, and the characters in each work are different people with the same name and form (the world was destroyed once for a reason, and was later reborn by Satan's hands). In addition, the setting of the characters, which had been different depending on the work until then, was also defined in detail. The director at this time was Kenji Oda, who was in charge of "Demon Story Hachamecha Final Exam" and other works.

Initially, it was planned to adopt a scenario based on this setting as a scenario for the Sega Saturn version of "Demon Story", but due to the bankruptcy of compilation, the original scenario was killed, and a different scenario was adopted in the product version. After that, the original scenario that died during development was developed as a commercial secondary novel "True Magic Story" series, and the setting materials of the characters according to this setting will be included in the fan book "Magic Story Fanbook Illustration & Others". Since then, this setting has hardly been reflected in the main game except for some works such as Puyo Puyo Gaiden: Puyo Wars, and it is only supplemented by chronology included in novels and fan books. For these reasons, this setting is called the True Magic Story setting rather than the title of the novel version. Director Kenji Oda himself wrote, "This is a magic story that I draw only in my head", (partly due to the fact that there were many criticisms of the setting), and the setting of True Magic Story was never the official unified setting of the Demon Story.

Basically, from what I can tell from this A.I. translated mess, Shin Madou Monogatari and the other novels are a separate continuity from the games.

There are three ways we can go about this.
  1. Make the novel versions of Arle and Satan separate keys
  2. Make the novel versions of Arle and Satan separate profiles
  3. Remove mentions of Shin Madou Monogatari altogether until we can find translations of the books
I personally think #3 is the safest option, espesially since Satan will be reaching Uni or Multi with this revision anyways, and aside from the timeline we have nothing on the novels. I also doubt the novels on their own are noteworthy enough for anyone to really wanna research them (Except me but I also lack the means to find translations of them)

Even if we do keep it, Ringo and Amity's worlds would be excluded from the feat, making it only Low 2-C.

Also, side note, we should replace the mediocre at best Puyo Puyo Chronicles renders with the better ones from Puyo Puyo Quest and the Puyo Puyo Tetris games, as well as maybe adding some Madou Monogatari renders to the applicable profiles. I already have one ready for Satan.

Honestly, Puyo Puyo as a verse is a mess right now, and this is only the first of many steps in cleaning it up.

The Puyo Puyo verse isn't exactly a mess; there's really too little on it to be a mess, especially since the transfer from Compile to Sega where they never did anything beyond the basics. The novels of the Sega era of Puyo Puyo weren't something I read too deeply into, but skimming them alone, they don't seem to provide anything new. There are Drama CDs out there as well, but let's face it, who the hell cares about those?

The Puyo Puyo 20th Anniversary feat, I'm fine with. The one from Tetris? Mmm, I dunno, Arle also falsely believed that Satan was behind the events of Puyo Puyo ~n; spoilers, no he wasn't. You would think that that would make Arle seem a little naive.

The possession bit was something I already mentioned in Satan's article before. Not sure if you caught that or not.

Given there are three worlds and Ecolo had said himself that he's targeting all universes in Puyo Puyo 7 (fan translations are always the best), I think it's pretty clear that Ecolo is on the low-end spectrum of Multiversal. This is fairly consistent with Squares, who actively forced a merge between the Puyo Puyo world (which itself contained 3 worlds, 4 counting that book) and the Tetris world to merge. This is bearing in mind that Squares, alongside Marle, are both basically God or something. I dunno if Ex would stack up to either Squares or Marle, tho. Side note, is it me, or do Marle and Squares look like Lillie and Gladion from Pokemon?

I don't really think mentions of Shin Madou Monogatari should be removed. Yes, it is hardly notable, but so was the rest of Puyo Puyo before the Tetris games really kickstarted localization interest (Fever didn't really get that far). People translated the Drama CDs of all things, and we gotta cover basically everything we feasibly could. I know the Puyo Nexus wiki tried to cover everything at least.

I don't think we should be faulting anything for missing translations either. Translations are another beast entirely, I have no doubt. We still haven't gotten translations for Puyo Puyo Box, and that game is notable for being the last major Compile-era Puyo Puyo game (there is Minna di Puyo, but I don't think that one's really major). Heck, it took forever to translate Puyo Puyo Chronicle, and that was the one game people outright hoped for a localization of. Honestly, my best advice is to have some patience.

On the topic of Puyo Puyo Chronicle, now that translations for that are done, I think it's safe to handle it now. If you're wanting gameplay of the English translation, well, the best I can find is this really obscure stream of it:

(he stopped at Purpline for some reason)

The cutscenes are a little easier to look over, however:

Good luck, tho; the entire playlist contains 38 videos.

I don't see what's wrong with the Chronicles renders; in fact, I think the chibi looks have their cute charm to them, and this is for a series where you can already find adorable characters like change on a sidewalk.

Though you did bring up Puyo Puyo Quest, which would've been something to tackle... If there was any visual aid for what any of the characters in the game did, which there really isn't. That's why the Puyo Nexus wiki, which is made by the strongest unit in the Puyo community, had no flipping clue how to handle Arle's Christmas spell.

Imo, I think the easiest thing to focus on is handling Chronicles now that that's translated.

Tonygameman had made respect threads for Puyo Puyo before, but specifically for Arle and Carbuncle before Eclipse was a thing (which I'm sure mucked up the images that were supposed to represent the showings). It might be a good idea to put references for each of those.

What I mean is that the Puyo Puyo Chronicles renders are no longer the newest renders as Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 has come out, not to mention these renders are likely how most people best know the characters.

And the big problem here is that we include the novels when they're seemingly a separate canon.

And the big problem here is that we include the novels when they're seemingly a separate canon.
Having read the translation of the timeline, it doesn't seem to be the case. If anything, it's more like one of the Flashs surviving them rewriting the DC verse (they always use the Flash as a rewriting scapegoat), as noted when the timeline ended with Satan basically recreating the entire multiverse into the Puyo Puyo verse, with Arle written back in as essentially an ageless being (well, ageless as in she stops growing older, but that was the context I got). The Shin Madou Monogatari novels do have strong ties with the Madou Monogatari series (which is essentially Puyo Puyo's predecessor) at the very least.

Having read the translation of the timeline, it doesn't seem to be the case. If anything, it's more like one of the Flashs surviving them rewriting the DC verse (they always use the Flash as a rewriting scapegoat), as noted when the timeline ended with Satan basically recreating the entire multiverse into the Puyo Puyo verse, with Arle written back in as essentially an ageless being (well, ageless as in she stops growing older, but that was the context I got). The Shin Madou Monogatari novels do have strong ties with the Madou Monogatari series (which is essentially Puyo Puyo's predecessor) at the very least.
The timeline is stated to be an alternate canon, Flashlight.

Back