• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Antvasima said:
The problem is that if we start to feature toys, this will start the slippery slope development of our members inserting and demanding profiles for other types of toys, and that is not the intended area of this wiki. If we have to delete the baseball bat and golf club profiles in order to stop this development, that is fine with me.
It's not necessarily a slippery slope from NERF guns to say, Funko Pops. But yes, this development is already in motion. Omega T-Rex and Thrasher T-Rex are good examples of pages that while from legitimate verses, aren't actually from any media in particular. They're toys, and their feats are based off of the flavor text on the back of the box, in which case, we may certainly be on the fast track to Funkoville. I certainly wouldn't mind if those profiles were deleted, and it seems like this is the place to do it.

However, to be clear, I wasn't advocating for the deletion of any of the melee weapon profiles. I was using the example to poke around at the definition of a weapon. I'm advocating for a clear, solid line to be drawn somewhere that says "Yes, this is considered a weapon because it fits all of our official criteria." or "No, this is not a weapon. See the official criteria that needs to be fulfilled." As of right now, that line isn't clear.

I think the NERF gun fits the requirements of not being sentient, being made for a primarily offensive purpose and meant to be wielded by someone that Skalt said. The baseball bat, golf club, etcetera, not so much, but it's important to keep them around to provide a benchmark for characters that use them, like Leon Kuwata, Jacket, Nega, Gordon Freema, and others. We need a firmly defined line that says what is considered a weapon and what is considered... not a weapon. Preferably on the Standard Format for Weapon Profiles.

The videogames have an actual story about an elite of guys with these weapons.

NERF FIRST PERSON SHOOTER VIDEO GAME?! (Nerf N-Strike Elite Gameplay)
NERF FIRST PERSON SHOOTER VIDEO GAME?! (Nerf N-Strike Elite Gameplay)

I made a profile for a real-life NERF gun. Not any of the NERF guns as depicted in the Wii videogame (which to me, reeks of cashgrab). If we were to have both, I don't see why we couldn't say, have a NERF N-Strike Maverick REV-6 (Real World) profile and a NERF N-Strike Maverick REV-6 (Wii) profile, the same way the Tyrannosaurus rex has like, 10 different profiles for each piece of media it's featured in.

NERF guns as depicted in the game would go in the hypothetical game verse. NERF guns as depicted in real life would go in real life. We've been over this, Walker.

Should I just start a new thread to open up this discourse instead of clogging Profile Deletions with it?

We cannot make very specific and impossible to misunderstand rules for every single situation that might pop up. We have to use common sense to a degree as well. I am fine with if other staff members are willing to help out with deleting various other profiles that essentially depict toys though.

I suppose that would begin with Omega T-Rex and Thrasher T-Rex, and the closure of any threads related to them.

Would Horrorclix be considered toys, and if so, would the entire verse get the can?

How about drones? The one in the picture sure isn't a Predator drone, it's a hobby drone marketed as a toy.

And also, consensus on the following?

1.) Airsoft rifles. Toy or not?

2.) Rideable, electric toy vehicles designed for children. Vehicle or not?

3.) Bricks in the context of Hotline Miami. Designed as a weapon, non-sentient, and meant to be equipped by the player. Weapon or not?

I'd like to finish off by saying that it seems like we already came up with some very specific and impossible to misunderstand rules in this thread. Can't be sentient. Must be intended for usage as a weapon, or commonly used as one in the case of things like a baseball bat. Can't be a toy (exact definition of toy might need to be defined, which is probably where it gets murky). Must be able to be wielded by someone.

HeadlessKramerGeoff777 said:
By that logic, Warhammer 40,000 should be deleted, which it should.
Obvious troll post is obvious, but I'll bite the bait.

I'm not too much of a Warhammer stan myself, but I'm counting 49 videogames on here, hundreds of books, a decent number of comics, and two movies (Damnatus, released in 2008, and Ultramarines: A Warhammer 40,000 Story, released in 2010). Deleting a verse that absolutely massive would be like deleting One Piece, or Pokemon.

And the action figure dinosaurs are barely characters. Their feats are based off of scaling and back of the box flavor text. They have never once appeared in Jurassic Park media, other than cheaply-made merchandise meant to be sold to children.

Horrorclix has no videogames. No books. No comics. No movies. It is a collectable figurine board game. The characters are toys.

Almost every verse is based off scaling. Horrorclix is a licensed table top game, and again, the lore actually has an overarching narrative and overlaps. The Chaos Effect animals have lore, the series for the characters has lore, and they have scaling and feats.

And being meant for isn't a factor to be deleted.

40k is mostly books and the game itself doesn't actually factor into the profiles beyond the lore supplements

Since I'm a bluename, I really don't have any authority on the issue other than my opinion. If someone with authority could comment on it, that'd be great.

EDIT: We've been done with NERF guns for a while, Apex. It was decided they're toys (outside of the Wii game).

By the issue, I mean the dinosaurs. Wokistan is the only non-blue name commenting after I mentioned they should be deleted, and it was about Warhammer.

Horrorclix would also definitely have to be decided by someone high-ranking. Squabbling about it won't get the discussion anywhere. Done here until a decision is made.

The dinosaurs are fine since they're indexing fictional beings. They're irrelevant to the deletion of the nerf gun. The nerf gun page is being deleted because it's a toy and not a weapo. People aren't making weapon profiles for the dinosaurs.

How can you say with a straight face that NERF guns are made for offensive use? It's not made to kill kids, dude. It's as much a weapon as the NES Zapper.

You are meant to shoot people with them. It's as simple as that.

But as previously stated, we're done with the NERF gun. The reason I bring the dinosaurs up is because Ant wants to know about any pages that essentially depict toys.

Yes but it's not meant to cause harm. It's as simple as that. Silly string isn't a weapon either.

My bad, I didn't notice.

I've literally been done defending the NERF gun for hours now. I'm just waiting for someone with a trace of authority to come in here and decide on everything so we can move on and stop clogging the thread.

EDIT: Gewsbumpz, I want you to look at the comment you just made below this one, and think really hard.

What is the issue with horrorclix again? So I understand the story telling is a bit hard to follow if you don't read all the flavor text in each set (each set's flavor text correspond to the overarching theme of each set ex. The Lab follows the town of Morten and the experiments of Pandora Labs, Freakshow covers the Carny and those who are either members of it or are encountering the group, etc), but what else is the issue? The scaling comes from actual feats, the characters have backstories, personalities, and have overlapping tales (such as Torch and Kuranes).

They are figures, not toys. The character models are just pieces for the gameplay. Like a checker piece or a chess piece. It is just met to symbolize the location of the monster.

"And the action figure dinosaurs are barely characters. Their feats are based off of scaling and back of the box flavor text. They have never once appeared in Jurassic Park media, other than cheaply-made merchandise meant to be sold to children."

Cheaply-made for kids isn't an argument for something not being on this wiki. As for scaling, not completely accurate as most have statistics aka weight, height, etc that would grant them the tier they are in. As for scaling most characters based off animals scale to the real life counterparts, these just happen to scale to the canon counterparts. If that is controversial they can scale to the real life versions and would still be in the same tiers. And the definition of media does cover merchandise. Plus these characters do follow a story, "A few years after the events of The Lost World, some scientists went to one of the islands of Jurassic Park. While there, desperate to recreate the park's dinosaurs by completing the DNA sequence, they mixed the DNA of the dinosaurs with other species of dinosaurs and living animals today - resulting with the creations of aggressive and mostly dangerous mutants listed below." Though that is statement is from the JP wiki, that info comes from the characters stories.

I never said being cheaply made was an argument for not being on the wiki. I said it was because they were toys.

I'm just going to make a discussion thread for this.

Just a brief mention that pages about toys that are nothing more than toys themselves are unacceptable, whereas profiles of fictional characters that they represent are probably fine, as long as there is a story supporting them.

That is all. This topic can end now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back