• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Pre-Crisis Superman vs Jiren

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just checked, Superman's profile just gives us a comic page that doesn't explain anything. It's just an image of Superman standing in front of some kids and some beings talking about Heroic Concept and mythic belief.

There's no context. Hoenstly, you can just interept that as Superman representing the Heroic Concept...I'm struggling to see how that represents Superman has having Type 8.

I'm confused.

How does the "Heroic Concept" and Superman correlate? Where is it stated that Superman is the "Heroic Concept" and that he will return from death?

From the panel, it says that the belief in heroes will strength the world and bring back to a previous reality.

What does that have to do with Superman?

I read through the comic that page is from quickly.

Basically, these aliens create a device at the beginning of time, that when destroyed, erases imagination. Due to some events Superman destroys this pyramid which changes reality to a world superheroes don't exists, humans never even formed cities, etc. The aliens then attack the now defenesless Earth.

But these two kids (who are stand-ins for the guys who created Superman, even named Jerry and Joey), keep talking about this character they came up with before drawing Superman in the image above. They then make costumes based on Superman and start getting people to believe in Superman, which then brought Superman back into existence. He then defeats the aliens and everything goes back to normal.

Seriously, I feel like I'm on drugs over here after reading all of this.

LSirLancelotDuLacl said:
Welcome to the Golden Age of comics, your sanity by the door please, you won't need it here.
I...I need to retreat back to the Bronze Age, where stuff makes sense...mostly.

The issue I've got with comic would be this: it seems more like the process that the aliens used got reversed, more then anything.

I'll talk more to tomorrow, got to get some sleep...

TheC2 said:
I...I need to retreat back to the Bronze Age, where stuff makes sense...mostly.
The irony is that I'm pretty sure this comic is from The Bronze Age.

Seriously, AM brought upon the rebirth of Superman into a way better character, the beginning of the era that brought books like Watchmen and DKR, reinvigorated DC to a point where they became a competitor again, and the Post-Crisis continuity gave us the most consistent and best written runs in DC history. Why was he considered a bad guy again?

Consistent as in better written and having a character that doesnt range from perfect goody two shoes to implying incest with his cousin (though like all things there are bad Post-Crisis stories as well)

And let's be honest, most of those "outerverse" feats are either taken out of context or from stories that aren't canon. Or from bad power scaling.

Well he is a very consistent character in DC but not consistent in terms of feats. He does actually have outerversal* feats which are valid but aren't valid in the sea of consistency and outlier.

Let's be honest, most mainstream comic characters aren't consistent in terms of feats. Even Batman, a peak human in canon, can survive buildings exploding in his face, Spider-Man can knock out heralds of Galactus and hurt the Hulk, and Black Panther can hurt High 1-B gods. It's what you get when you have 30-80 years of continuity.

LSirLancelotDuLacl said:
Did you really look at Superman passively mind haxing people and sneezing solar systems away and somehow thought things wouldn't get worse?
Yeah well wasn't that passive mindhax from the Kryptonian plexiglass that he wears all the time?

Consensus is mostly "Jiren glares" and people defending Superman sort of... gave up?

Also type 8 for Superman makes no sense. If there really was an alien machine that erased the Heroes from existence and the two kids thinking up of Superman made him come back then Superman doesn't have type 8 Immortality. How do you get type 8 from that?

The Alien machine made heroes stop existing by... crapping on their imaginations apparently, but these two kids thought up of Superman anyways and as per the machine's function, Superman returned since he was no longer "forgotten". It's a weakness of the machine thingie, not a Superman thing.

Heck, the comic the Type 8 comes from isn't even consistent in and of itself.

Once Superman was imagined back into existence and defeats the aliens:

-The aliens plead that they're not actually capable of violence...despite the fact that we see them attacking human settlements with they're ships and are described as blasting them into oblivion.

-Then remember how the alien's device erased imagination and altered human history, meaning that superheroes didn't exist and all that? Well, the comic didn't. The aliens also tell Superman that they have the people who disappeared in the ship and that they would have returned them...Whot???

Overall, it's not Type 8, it's a process that got reverted and the logic of the comic is faulty to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back