• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Pre Crisis superman update

Status
Not open for further replies.
To my knowledge pre-crisis speed feats of travel should not apply to his combat just like the post crisis version as both must pick up speed to reach max speeds. I think we should add a separation of travel and combat speeds for him on his profile as well.

Superman has to accelerate to stop a supernova. Imminent danger, he would not hold back.

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11111/111119340/3167283-5013445114-super.jpg

Has to push himself "harder, faster" till he exceeds light speed, and eventually over pages breaks the bond of infinity with acceleration over large distance and time. Was obsessed with finding super girl, he was clearly going all out in the feat.

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/13/134509/2769666-superman_is_ftl.jpg

Another reference to him picking up speed as he flies further.

Superman-time.jpg

Has to fly faster and faster over time to reach enough speed to send the villain back in time.

http://lounge.moviecodec.com/images...vs-hst-vs-dragon-ball-z-vs-bleach-x-39850.jpg

So it is shown often that his travel speed =/= combat speed, which is consistent with the other incarnations of superman such as Post Crisis. So tbh it's unlikely he does have a combat speed equal to travel speed.

He can throw a space ship across a galaxy in the time it takes some villains to wake up though so speed wise if it took a few min for them to wake up his throw should have been still in the low billions of times ftl so that can give a combat speed feat.

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11112/111124037/3780452-5763389879-DC_Co.jpg

Well, I remember reading a comic in which he had a marathon across the universe against the Flash arranged by the Reverse-Flash and Abracadabra. Within this story they were both shown as running across a created path, and eventually ended up in a tie. This was clearly a MFTL+ movement speed feat.

Antvasima said:
Awesome, it does say that the race was 40,000 light years though across the galaxy, I don't see him actually running across the universe in the synopsis. Still mftl+ for sure, but a far cry from the speed he is currently listed at. I would recommend saying he can travel the universe in seconds with acceleration beforehand, and normally he is at least billions of times ftl in combat since he threw a ship across the galaxy in the time it took some creatures to wake up that he knocked out, so that should count as a speed feat in the low billions if we say it took a few minutes to wake up.

Well, maybe I misremembered. Nevertheless, we simply list him at an unspecified MFTL+.

OK fair enough, I got flack from a few people who said I can't use the travel speed does not always equal combat speed argument with superman. So next time that comes up I will tell them it does indeed apply, if it happened to be mentioned on the profile though that he has to accelerate to top speeds it might eliminate some confusion.

Hand movements is what should be considered combat speed in my opnion.For example Usain Bolt is fastest runner does not mean he has faster combat speed than bruce lee or mike tyson.Travel speed or more importantly accerlation could help in getting behind opponents or charging at them in attacking sense and dodging opponents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back