• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Possible Doctor Who Upgrades

Ultima_Reality

?????????
VS Battles
Administrator
So i was in Space Battles reading a Doctor Who respect thread, and i found this line, which could warrant huge upgrades to Doctor Who:

Imagine, if you will, a vortex. A really powerful vortex that drags into itself
anything that comes into its trajectory. A vortex made up of an infinite number of well, levels for want of a better description. And if they seem to diminish as they get towards the bottom of the vortex, rest assured, it's an illusion. For this vortex has no bottom. It is, being constructed of chronon energy, and thus temporal in nature, endless. Eternal. Bottomless, topless, middleless. It is neither linear not multifaceted in existence. It is completely unique and is, theoretically, situated at the centre of creation. Of course, in a multiverse that expands exponentially and is unfixed and infinite in nature, a 'centre' is a theoretical and practical impossibility For millennia, scholars have tried to fathom the true nature of what they have come to refer to as 'The Spiral'. They have failed because, of course, they cannot tell whether each time they examine the Spiral they are seeing it exponentially or randomly. It is theorised that creatures live within the confines of the Spiral, creatures that have access to multiple dimensions and realities. Although these theories cannot be disproved, nor can they be proven, as no acceptable method of determination can be found. No one can ever be sure, if these creatures do indeed exist, whether due to their crossing of the timelines they are actually temporal duplicates of just one original creature or whether they really are legion.
Depending on your interpretation this could be anywhere from 2-A to High 1-B, so i want to know what to do with that line

I also read the Quantum Archangel novel and found some things that may or not warrant an upgrade:

'She's altering reality,' said the Doctor, examining the charred Kairos Lattice as if it were a valuable antique. 'In this universe, I suspect that Anjeliqua never stole the patent. It was always credited to you, Paul.'
'But if she's changed reality, how come we remember the Whitefriar Lattice?' asked Stuart. 'Surely we should always have known it as the Kairos Lattice?' Alternate universes and parallel realities were covered in the temporal mechanics course ― he had taught enough of them ― but as theoretical models they were nothing more than a set of mathematical absurdities, and he had never expected to see them proved to him. Then again, when he had woken up with a hangover this morning he hadn't expected to take part in a time ram, visit the Great Attractor and end up in a hidden cathedral on the moon.

Nor had he expected to end the day thirty years younger. 'This has all the hallmarks of an incomplete reality shift.' The Doctor scratched his head. 'I suspect ― I hope ― that she's still learning about her powers. The Lux Aeterna may be omnipotent but it's dependent upon Anjeliqua's intelligence, and that's a limiting factor.' 'As much as it pains me to say it, Anjeliqua isn't exactly stupid. Doctor,' said Arlene.

'And the Lux Aeterna is ultimate power,' the Doctor continued. 'Even a genius cannot comprehend it in its entirety. But that doesn't give us any room for complacency: the fact that any part of the reality shift breached the TARDIS at all is a clear demonstration of just how powerful she's become. But she hasn't quite mastered the intricacies yet. A reality shift has to occur on a near-infinite number of levels simultaneously for it to be seamless. That we still remember the Whitefriar Lattice suggests she hasn't yet learnt how to completely separate the new reality from the old.' 'But if she can't control her powers, we haven't got anything to worry about, surely?' asked Arlene. 'My dear Professor Cole, we have everything to worry about. With every passing second she will gain more and more control. Until the entire cosmos becomes her plaything.
The Quantum Archangel threw her head back and laughed into the void. It was so simple!
Even without the power she needed to fulfil her destiny, she could still make a difference. After her initial fumblings, it felt natural now: she could see the endless possibilities in any given moment, and she could use the one that she knew was the right one. She could see virtually all the levels of existence and alter them in a harmony of life and fire. She could make the new reality important, and that gave it its freedom
Not really upgrades, but here are some additions to the Eternals' page:

Matter Manipulation
In the Doctor Who novel The Quantum Archangel, it is shown that the screams of an Eternal such as Elektra are powerful enough to shred matter down to the quark level.

Elektra and Prometheus remained silent: there was nothing to say, nothing to do. Together, the Guardians could bend reality, fashion space and time to their whims. To them a Chronovore and an Eternal were insects ― less than insects. And then Elektra realised what they meant ― what they intended to do. She screamed her defiance, her cries tearing through the vortex, powerful enough to shred matter down to the quark level. But to the Council of Guardians it was nothing more than a summer breeze.
Acausality
In the series of episodes Enlightenment", The Eternals are stated to dwell in "Eternity", a domain above Time, which they consider a small domai

DOCTOR: Why are you doing this?
STRIKER: The race? As a diversion.

DOCTOR: And the crews for the ships, you collected from their different time zones just as a diversion, too?

STRIKER: They are Ephemerals.

DOCTOR: Ephemerals?

STRIKER: Beings like yourself.

DOCTOR: You had no right to do it. They're real. Living, breathing flesh and blood.

STRIKER: You are not an Ephemeral. You are a time dweller. You travel in time. DOCTOR: You're reading my thoughts.

STRIKER: You are a Time Lord. A lord of time. Are there lords in such a small domain?

DOCTOR: And where do you function?

STRIKER: Eternity.

SAILOR: Marker buoy, sir, coming up on the starboard bow.

STRIKER: The endless wastes of eternity.
  • And in the same episode, The Doctor states that they exist outside of time
TEGAN: Go away.
DOCTOR [OC]: It's me.

(Tegan lets him in.)

DOCTOR: What's the matter?

TEGAN: This. This room.

DOCTOR: Yes, well, they can make anything they see in your mind. That's how this ship was made, out of the minds of the crew. Just as this room was.

TEGAN: Shows the state my mind's in.

(The Doctor picks up a stuffed koala bear toy.)

DOCTOR: Hmm.

TEGAN: Are they like Time Lords?

DOCTOR: Oh, no, no, they exist outside of time. TEGAN: How?

DOCTOR: They're eternal. They exist in eternity. It's er, it's not really what you'd call living.
  • And in the Comic Strip Uninvited Guest, The Doctor, states that The Eternals exist outside of Time (Again), and cannot be perceived by it, and thus, are unchanging and unaging
PROSPERO: We are the Eternals, we are the endless, we are the ones who do not die...
DOCTOR: ...and do not change, but only because you exist outside of time, of course... Time cannot notice you, so no point in time can be your end That is the case ... Isn't?
...?
I'm not sure about what this really is, but it seems that The Eternals can't be truly "killed", and are simply transfered to Eternity when their physical forms are destroyed

TEGAN: Angry? I'm not angry, I'm disgusted. A ship blows up, all aboard are lost, and you don't even care
MARRINER: You don't understand. They were not lost. They transferred. TEGAN: They were saved?

MARRINER: They transferred home.

TEGAN: The whole crew? No, you don't mean the crew at all, do you. You mean the officers. Things like you, whatever you are. What happened to the crew? Were they all killed?

MARRINER: But Ephemerals have such short lives in any case. TEGAN: Human beings, you mean.

MARRINER: Whatever you wish to call them. And on this ship at least, they are treated well.

TEGAN: Well? I happen to think that human lives are just as valuable as yours. I happen to be a human being.
Note: This is NOT an upgrade thread, at least not until we reach a conclusion about these quotes

Pretty sure I addressed the Time Vortex thing, before.

Not sure what exactly the QA stuff is proposing an upgrade for.

The Eternal stuff seems accurate.

The Time Vortex has constantly been referred to as a 5th Dimensional Space. It has also been stated that the Web of Time, which Rassilon created, fundamentally changed the 5th Dimension/Time Vortex at its basic properties. Both of those terms are used interchangibly. So no High 1-B Time Vortex, but the rest looks great to me!

I am also fine with the additions to the Eternals' page, but do not know either way about the rest.

When the TARDIS was hijacked by the Celestial Toymaker, who wished to use the TARDIS as his new playroom, the Twelfth Doctor trapped him in the Zero Room and ejected it from the TARDIS, making it the Celestial Toymaker's new playroom. Toymaker.

While he was powerful, theoretically, he could do much more damage with the Key to Time. In addition, he was unable to enter the Doctor's TARDIS when its defences were activated. Black Guardian.

Resistance to possession for the TARDIS.

Advanced defences against entry is not the same thing as resistance to possession.

What are your impressions about the other suggestions btw?

I agree with what Doctor Freeman and Azzy have said. I'm also wondering if the Doctor should have any new ratings/powers after going head-to-head with the Quantum Archangel (although it's probably just High 1-C for comparing to the Archangel).

I guess the feats be put on the TARDIS' page too?

I also agree with Azathoth and Freeman.

Which feats should be placed in the TARDIS page?

The above quotes I mentioned.

Well, I suppose that having powerful enough defences to stop the Celestial Toymaker from entering is impressive.

@Azathoth If she can pierce the Time Lords' High 1-C defences, I think so, yes.

@Ultima Reality She did not appear to move very quickly in that sequence.

@Antvasima

Hmm, okay then

However, i found a quote saying that the TARDIS is 5-D:

"Mitch was equally sceptical. 'Doc, nothin' will have survived that fall.'

'The TARDIS is tougher than it looks,' said the Doctor.

''It would have to be indestructible,' said Hobbo.

'It exists conterminously in five relative dimensions-of course it's indestructible.'"

Regarding Missy's speed. I think she should scale to the Doctor and other Time Lords. So she should be at least Athletic Human. She did appear behind her rather quickly although possibly not quick enough to be peak human. It's kinda hard to decide since the size of the room isn't clear, but she did seem to be able to get to where she was, to a position behind Osgood rather quickly imho

Scaling her from the other Time Lords seems fine to me.

Ultima Reality said:
@Antvasima

Hmm, okay then

However, i found a quote saying that the TARDIS is 5-D:

"Mitch was equally sceptical. 'Doc, nothin' will have survived that fall.'

'The TARDIS is tougher than it looks,' said the Doctor.

''It would have to be indestructible,' said Hobbo.

'It exists conterminously in five relative dimensions-of course it's indestructible.'"
Does this qualify for immortality?

TARDISes are not immortal. They have an average lifespan of about 2000 years before they are sent to a "graveyard" with descriptions eerily similar to House's realm in "The Doctor's Wife." However, the Doctor's TARDIS has been modified to last longer, and Compassion (a Type 102) and Lolita (a Type 101) have been known to live for much, much longer.

Sorry, geeked out for a sec. Bottom line: Immortality's a no-go, but Longevity should be fine.

How can the above quote be quantified?

Well, "indestructible" is a no-limits fallacy, but we count 5-D existence as High Multiverse level durability. It is also not the same thing as immortality, no.

So does this warrant an upgrade or is it an outlier?

EDIT: It's most likely an outlier, unless there's something I'm missing.

If it has been regularly damaged by far less, it is probably an outlier.

Of the spot I can't think of a single instance where the TARDIS took damage with its defences up.

When the titanic hit, the defences were down, and Davros lowered the defences when he deposited it into the Z-Neutrino core. The only other instance I can think of is when the 10th Doctor regenerated, but he was inside the TARDIS.

There's probably something that confirms this as an outlier, but I can't think of anything atm strangely

Okay. Although isn't it already High 1-C in durability with its full defences activated?

That needs to be added to the TARDIS' page. Possibly along with the quotes too.

Okay, although referencing the source is probably better.

Okay, I will mention both sources.

Alright. I will temporarily unlock the TARDIS page.

I've made the changes.

Okay. Is there anything left to do here, or should I close this thread?

I believe Ultima wanted to say something about the the Doctor and the Master using their TARDIS' to defeat the Quantum Archangel. I'm not sure on the details, but I will try and find out the source material

Quote from the Quantum Archangel Novel:

It should have been unbeatable: omniscient, omnipotent. But the two TARDISes were holding their own. Both machines had been reworked again and again since their birth in the TARDIS cradles, with countless improvements from countless civilisations. And for the first time since they had both left those same cradles, they were on the same side. The Quantum Archangel was losing. The two TARDISes, fighting as one, broke through the sidereal barrier, knocking the Quantum Archangel away as if she were no more than an irritation, rearranging their apron wakes into whips and knives to keep her at bay. As she flailed in the vortex, a flaming figure in distress, the TARDISes reached the parallel universe of the Cla'tac'teth, found that race's planet orbiting a dead neutron star orbiting a lifeless version of the Great Attractor... ...and passed back through the sidereal barrier to another Great Attractor, leaving the Quantum Archangel on the other side.

Ultima Reality said:
Quote from the Quantum Archangel Novel:

It should have been unbeatable: omniscient, omnipotent. But the two TARDISes were holding their own. Both machines had been reworked again and again since their birth in the TARDIS cradles, with countless improvements from countless civilisations. And for the first time since they had both left those same cradles, they were on the same side. The Quantum Archangel was losing. The two TARDISes, fighting as one, broke through the sidereal barrier, knocking the Quantum Archangel away as if she were no more than an irritation, rearranging their apron wakes into whips and knives to keep her at bay. As she flailed in the vortex, a flaming figure in distress, the TARDISes reached the parallel universe of the Cla'tac'teth, found that race's planet orbiting a dead neutron star orbiting a lifeless version of the Great Attractor... ...and passed back through the sidereal barrier to another Great Attractor, leaving the Quantum Archangel on the other side.
How strong is this? This should be High 1-C right?

Is the Quantum Archangel described to be at that level elsewhere?

I'm not that familiar with the character, but here's the reasoning behind the QA's tier: "Her power is that of the Lux Aeterna, the underlying energy lattice of the entire multiverse, capable of commiting multiversal genocide against the entire Chronovore race"

Well, I suppose that the TARDISes should scale then.

How does this sound: High 1-C with Spatial Manipulation (The Doctor and the Master managed to defeat the Quantum Archangel with their TARDISes)

Or something similar.

Back