• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Pokemon Discussion Thread - Red & Blue arc

But it’s also stated both in-game and in an interview with the creators that Dynamaxing is just a projection. They aren’t actually that big.
Hm…

Dynamax Pokemon have mass, you can see how they break the ground when transforming due to their weight.
I could swear I remember seeing a sign detailing about Dynamax Pokemon, but I can't remember where.
Supposedly, it's a Red Sign on Route 10? I'd check it myself, but I don't have Sw/Sh, nor a Switch.
But it’s also stated both in-game and in an interview with the creators that Dynamaxing is just a projection. They aren’t actually that big.
Hm…
Not that I doubt that they exist, but do you have scans, please?

I've a switch but i decided that 25 hours of mediocre pokemon gameplay wasn't worth 50+$

Like yeah i bought Mario Odyssey and it was not nearly as long as the pokemob games but it was top tier mario experience while the pokemon switch games aren't even that great.
I mean, even the story is disappointing, Sun and Moon had simple gameplay but a very fun story while this one just had... Nothing of note to offer.

unknown.png

Glad I saved this like, 2 years ago.
Dunno if it's the full text, so if anyone wants to check, feel free to do so.

unknown.png

Glad I saved this like, 2 years ago.
Dunno if it's the full text, so if anyone wants to check, feel free to do so.
That’s the text I was talking about. I think there’s also something in the beginning routes, but I don’t remember, and really don’t wanna play through the story again lol.

I’ll try to find the interview when I’m less busy

That’s the text I was talking about. I think there’s also something in the beginning routes, but I don’t remember, and really don’t wanna play through the story again lol.
If anyone can find that early routes text, I'd really appreciate that.
I’ll try to find the interview when I’m less busy

Is this the interview? I found it while searching for the screenshot I posted on the web; To no avail, so I eventually just ended up looking in my saved images folder.

I guess they aren't that big but their range and attack potency is
I mean, that makes Goh's Dynamax Raboot stumbling into & breaking a mural very weird; If it were a regular-sized Raboot, no way would it have accidentally broken a stone wall just by stumbling backwards.

Dynamax Pokémon are 100% physical and their large size affects the environment in proportion, otherwise no one would be able to ride them, such as Lapras.
The text on sword and shield basically says that they obtain their large size by manipulating the space.

The reason they could destroy those objects despite being beyond the range of their normal size and the larger Dynamax only being a visual projection as confirmed in the video interview is probably because the distorted space that creates the larger image causing objects it touches to be effected as if the projection was the actual Pokémon with mass.

This makes me curious then. The anime has had a Dynamax Centiscorch & a Dynamax Coalossal; Both times, the Pokedex makes mention of their body temperatures.

If their Dynamax forms imitate the properties of the Pokemon as those would behave at that size, shouldn't those Pokemon having stated-in-episode body temperatures of multiple thousands of degrees have implications?

I think that Gigantamax do have mass (As an example, Lucario quite literally runs on Machamp's arm) while D-max are indeed just projections.
Coalossal and Centiscorch are simply G-max instead of D-max

I think that Gigantamax do have mass (As an example, Lucario quite literally runs on Machamp's arm) while D-max are indeed just projections.
Coalossal and Centiscorch are simply G-max instead of D-max
So, do you feel that Coalossal & Centiscorch do have mass, & thus, their stated in-show temperatures should be taken into account?

Last edited:

Psychomaster35·12/12/2021

The math is correct, but:
  1. Shouldn’t you also calculate the cylinder crater that was done by the Hyper Beam?
  2. Shouldn’t you account for the buildings destroyed if any were in the way?
  3. That may just be soil and not rock. Soil is made up of 45% rock, so you can get your vaporization value there.
Arceus0x·12/12/2021
  1. What is the exact vaporization value for soil?
  2. Buildings would be useless
  3. I am currently re-making this calc in my own style cause M3X made this calc a while and the scan seems low quality. It can get higher results
  4. I am gonna count the cylinder too.
Psychomaster35·12/12/2021

There is no vaporization value for soil, I just got this value from another accepted calc that took the soil volume and used 45% that was the amount of rock in the soil, and the vaporization value for rock is 25700 j/cc.

M3X·12/13/2021

Shouldn’t you also calculate the cylinder crater that was done by the Hyper Beam?

Yeah I should, why I didn't do that before? Only God knows, though I think I was lazy, and though it wouldn't increase the result that much, but looking back at it, it might be higher than the crater alone.

Shouldn’t you account for the buildings destroyed if any were in the way?

I should, didn't do that because I was "new" (kinda) and didn't know that I should do that or that it would make any difference, Though after dozens of calcs with buildings, I can say it'd increase some kilotons there.

That may just be soil and not rock. Soil is made up of 45% rock, so you can get your vaporization value there.

Not really, it's a city, a rocky place. Crater is kinda deep so it'd reach stuff like badrock and rocks, ofc soil is vaporized but hey, it's basically nothing compared the amount of rock vaporized.

M3X·12/13/2021

Also, not touching this feat again. I was calcing some Pokemons feats when reading the manga but I'm not interested anymore. Feel free to use whatever you guys want from this blog.

It seems like it may be worth looking at this Calc & seeing if we can have someone recalc it, since M3X has stated they are unwilling to do so, & there's a few things to account for. (Such as value(s) for vaporization of soil/rock.)

So apparentely
meowth's first crush will appear once again in a later episode, adding the serious team rocket trio's meowth and the fact the producer of x and y will come in 2022 and make team rocket look back at their lifes
i'm very hopeful we get more development for him as a villain, come on he has the greatest potential there, don't make him simp at the girl that rejected him twice even after he defeated a ******* persian and is basically one of the reasons he became what he is.

I haven't been watching the anime, but i feel like i'll be dissapointed anyway.

Anyways at this point i feel like saying that pokemon have different speeds becomes obsolete.
I mean, here we see CHILDREN fighting a pokemon and evading attacks from them. If human children can avoid moves from a freaking cleavor then how come a bidoof can't?

I can’t watch it rn, can anyone give me a summary?
Old style Poke Balls are made from Apricorns & a harvestable material called Tumblestone.
Neat that the old potions are topical; That means you apply them by contact, rather than drinking. Newer potions are only 20 HP.
The Basic Potions in Legends: Arceus heal 60 HP.
That certainly suggests a different gameplay style. Or it means the lower healing intensity is from a spray having less contact/medicine applied then slathering some "Potion"/ointment on.
I wonder if modern day Potions also have Oran Berries as their basis....

So far there's places like the Obsidian Fieldlands. Pokemon can help gather items.
Apparently, there will be a weather & time of day system, & as you know, different species have different temperaments.
Bidoof notedly ignore the player even when approached, but Starly run away if approaching. The footage shows the Starly hopping with their wings tucked in.
Shinx are aggressive.

Quote the video: "If an aggressive Pokemon spots you, or you fail to catch it on your first sneak attempt, the Pokemon will enter an alert state. In this state, all Poke Balls you throw will simply be deflected by the Pokemon. In order to catch a Pokemon in this state, you must battle it."
When you enter battle, there is an action order list shown, telling you what order Pokemon will get their turns in, which you can view before selection, Fight, Items+Pokemon, or Run.
Notably, the boy in gameplay seems to use Rowlet, while the girl seems to use Oshawott.
To start a battle, throw a ball containing one of your own partner Pokemon near a Wild Pokemon.
Turn 1, Oshawott: Tackle in the Agile Style is selected, Shinx doesn't dodge, takes about 45%.
Turn 2, Shinx: "Shinx is looking around..." (Weird, considering it was aggressive.)
Turn 3, Oshawott: The player menus, the Pokemon listing in the bottom right corner switches to show a Poke Ball listing. The trainer selects a Poke Ball, & is asked if they want to throw a Poke Ball (That could get annoying.) & the player selects yes. One bounce. Shinx caught.
The Action Order list is visible throughout the battle.

Another segment starts, showing that you can throw berries to distract Pokemon; A Pokemon that finds a berry will start eating, & apparently, while eating, they are much less aware of the trainer's presence. This apparently enables a back strike. A Psyduck is caught this way, also with only one bounce.
Buneary seem neutral the player.

Another segment. An aggressive Tangrowth, with glowing red eyes, fires a green energy ball at the male player character, who despite the player's efforts to avoid it, hits. He falls on his knees. "Everything went black!" As the narration explains, a list of a few items they were carrying that they dropped when blacking out are shown. In this case, 1 Potion, 3 Mud Balls. Options are "Check Details" & Return to Base Camp.

Next Segment: "The Hisui Region Pokedex".
Narrator: "As part of the Survey Corps, you are on a mission to catalogue & research all the different Pokemon that live in the harsh environments of Hisui."
Among the mission rewards show being completed are Pokemon caught for the first time, & Pokemon caught using a Back Strike.
"Not only will you need to catch many types of Pokemon on your mission, but you will also need to observe them using certain moves or displaying certain behaviours."
Laventon, to player character: "Mm-hmm, I see... Most illuminating! I'll update our Pokedex with this new data!" [Me screaming internally.]
Cyndaquil is shown, with a listed Research Level of 7.
"This Pokemon has only just been documented. Investigation is ongoing. More research tasks must be completed to fill in this Pokemon's entry."
The same message is shown for a Bidoof & a Buizel with a Research Level of 2, & a Starly with a Research Level of 4. Starly also has 2 forms listed, which are swapped between to show the gender difference between Male & Female Starly. These seem to be unrelated to Research Level & Pokedex Entry.
Entry numbers, Type, Classification, images of favorite foods, Male & Female indicators for which have the Pokemon's depicted appearance, & carried items are listed.

A metal weight object icon indicates weight, & a set square tool (AKA, a triangular protractor.) indicates height. For Cyndaquil, there is just 1 listing for each. But for Bidoof, with the far lower Research Level, a range of weights & height are listed. Preferred Foods & Items Carried are also covered with "Insufficient Data".
However, Buizel, unlike Bidoof with the same Research Level, has exact height & weight listed, like Cyndaquil does, despite being Insufficient Data for other things.
Carried items listed include Oran Berry for Cyndaquil, Cherri Berry for Shinx, & Spoiled Apricorn for both of them.

"When you are finished in the field, you can visit Professor Laventon to hand in your survey report. This will update your Pokedex as well as increase your rank in the Survey Corps. You will also receive funds from the professor, which you can use to buy items & materials to help you with your research."
Research tasks award points, which serve as a sort of Rank EXP System.

"Traversing Hisui"
"The vastness of the Hisui Region is daunting to travel on foot". The player character is riding a Wyrdeer. It seems to have a jumping feature. Manual or automatic?
"Wyrdeer helps you navigate on land faster. Hisuian Braviary, on the other hand, allows you to soar through the sky." The player quickly switches from Wyrdeer to Hisuian Braviary. Hisuian Braviary's talons are gripping a bar holding a triangle, which the player character is gripping, as if using a hang glider.
"Basculegion allows you to traverse through the rivers and seas throughout the Hisui Region."

"Jubilife Village"
"Jubilife Village is the centre of operations for the Galaxy Expedition Team, a group made up of people who have come from different regions to study and live in the harsh region of Hisui. The Galaxy Team includes various corps, such as the Medical Corps and the Security Corps, as well as the Survey Corps."
While walking through Jubilife Village, a "Game footage is not final." notice appears.
"Jubilife Village will serve as the base for your survey missions. After receiving a mission or a request and preparing for your next excursion, you'll set out from the village, to study one of the various areas of the Hisui Region."
Someone named Ress watches the village gate; When the player approaches, he asks "Heading outside the village, are we? Stay stafe out there, kid." Then, a map is shown. It is drawn in an old style, including the clouds that cover many areas of it. Accessible areas (Obsidian Fieldlands & Jubilife Village) have markers with Pokemon world language text; I can't translate it. (Yet.)
The areas on the map lack descriptions.
"After you finish your survey work, you'll return once more to prepare for your next task."
Professor Laventon's room is shown. It has many books, a board with black & white mapping, as well as a chalkboard with lots of Pokemon World Writing, & paper notes attached to it.

"Along with the headquarters of the Galaxy Team and your own lodgings, Jubilife Village is also home to a variety of different services, such as the clothier, the craftworks, and the trading post, where you can trade Pokemon with other players."

"Missions and Requests"
Notably, one mission is to catch a Buizel bigger than Dorian's own, meaning Pokemon sizes may vary in this game.
"Requests are small tasks you do to help the residents of Hisui, while missions advance the main story."

A zoomed in map of the Obsidian Fieldlands is shown. Areas labelled include "Horseshoe Plains", "Aspiration Hill", "Deertrack Path", "Deertrack Heights", "Nature's Pantry", "Tidewater Dam", "The Heartwood". (What's a horse? What's a deer?)
"Once you receive a mission or request, it will be added to your Arc Phone." (Arceus cares about keeping track of you helping people, apparently. Be good for it.)
The cursor can be moved freely over the map, which has a "Stamp" feature, with a few symbols to choose from.

"The Arc Phone is a mysterious device that allows you to track your movements, mark locations on the map, and track your current missions and requests." (Arceus tracks your phone, then?)

Dorian is shown asking, as part of a Request: "Can Pokemon of the same species really come in different sizes? I know the professor said they do, but I'll have a hard time believing it unless I see different-sized ones lined up side-by-side. If there really are Buizel bigger than mine, I'd love to see them alongside the one I have, for comparison's sake."

The narrator lists examples of types of missions, including discovering a specific Pokemon, finding a variety of different items, defeating powerful Pokemon in battle, or catching a number of one specific Pokemon for research. One bounce, caught. It's a Level 6 Shinx, & a "Number Caught 2/3" indication is shown. Of the Pokemon in their party, Level 7 Cyndaquil gains 42 EXP, Level 5 Bidoof gains 53 EXP, & Level 5 Buizel gains 35 EXP. Curious.
A clip is shown of a trainer completing a request.

The trainer is shown sneaking up on, & Back Striking a Shinx. There seems to be a special visual effect for this catch. From the Back Strike, maybe?

Among other dialogue Toshi (The Request's NPC.) says, I find it interesting that upon completion, he says "Can't tell you what a relief this is. Felt like I had a bone stuck in my throat, only the throat's my brain and the bone's a thought! Thanks for helping me get that bone out!"

"Pokemon Battles"

"You can initiate a Pokemon Battle by throwing one of your partner's Poke Balls at or near a wild Pokemon."
The trainer's Buneary's Poke Ball bounces off of the Wild Kricketot. A message says "You caught Kricketot unawares!"
"If a wild Pokemon does not see you approaching and you strike them with one of your partner's Poke Balls, this will catch them unaware and may grant you an extra chance to attack in battle.
The Level 14 Buneary knows Quick Attack, Baby-Doll Eyes & Swift uses Quick Attack. Very different from its level-up learnset in other games; Swift was previously only a TM move for it, for example, & Quick Attack would be learned at higher levels.
It uses Quick Attack without a style selected.

"Battles are turn based, and you can get your Pokemon to attack in two unique styles: Strong Style or Agile Style. Using the move in the Agile Style raises the user's Action Speed, which may make the user's next turn come sooner, at the expense of reducing the move's power. Strong Style moves can allow you to attack with more power, but using them may delay your Pokemon's next turn.
"If an enemy can withstand one of your strong style moves, prepare to be attacked multiple times in retaliation. Using Agile Style moves and Strong Style moves in battle causes your Pokemon's attacks to use more PP, so be careful when planning your battles."

"While surveying the wilds, you may come across a Pokemon that appears different to the others of the same species."
As the narrator says this, the trainer sneaks up on a Walrein, and seems to Back Strike it. The Poke Ball bounces off, without Walrein going in. It turns around. Its eyes are red, & the message "You caught Walrein unawares!" appears, as the battle begins.
"These are known as Alpha Pokemon. They are much larger and have glowing red eyes. Be careful when approaching them if you are not prepared. They are very aggressive and will take a powerful team and strategy to take down."
Raichu uses Agile Style Thunder Wave. Walrein's turn: "Walrein was caught unawares and is too stunned to move!"
"Here the player uses Agile Style Thunder Wave to Paralyze their opponent, delaying their turns, and making them easier to catch, while also changing move priority in an advantageous way for the player." Raichu uses Strong Style Thunderbolt. "Strategies like this are key to defeating Alpha Pokemon. Catching an Alpha Pokemon is a challenge, but if you manage it, they will be a very powerful ally on your adventure."
The Wild Alpha Walrein uses Strong Style Giga Impact. (Another normally TM only move.) It gets a Critical Hit on Raichu. if you hadn't guessed it already, Raichu faints.

"Customization"
"By visiting the Clothier, you can customize your character with a variety of different clothing items. As you progress through the game, you will unlock more outfits to purchase. Make sure to pick a style that speaks to you! Here is a quick look at some of the early customization options that trainers can wear."
"You can also customize your trainer's hairstyle, hair colour, and eyebrow colour at the hairdresser. The Hisuian region can be dangerous. That doesn't mean you can't look your best."

"Noble Pokemon"
"During your adventure, you will have to face off against special Pokemon called Noble Pokemon. A strange Phenomenon is causing the nobles to become frenzied, making them rampage." A Kleavor glowing orange is shown running around, slicing through trees, making whirlwinds when it does so, that launch the trees into the air, while trainer observes in shock.
"As part of the Survey Corps, you will be recruited to calm these frenzied Nobles."

Lord of the Woods Kleavor is shown, as a battle begins.
"Simply defeating them in battle will not calm them. You will have to quell their frenzy by throwing balms made using these Noble Pokemon's favorite foods. It can be difficult to hit a rampaging noble with the balms, as they will relentless attack you."
The trainer is shown running, throwing balms as they evade Kleavor's swings. Kleavor has a yellow, multi-segmented health bar. When Kleavor hits her, the trainer grunts, being knocked down, & glowing red, having lost some health.
"The moment you see an opportunity, hit them with as many balms as you can. Just like with throwing a Poke Ball, you need to aim carefully! Noble Pokemon will attack the player directly, and if you take too much damage, you will black out and need to attempt the battle again. Balance throwing your balms with dodging attacks to calm the Noble Pokemon."
The trainer sends out Psyduck.
"At some point during the fight, the Noble Pokemon may let down its guard - This is the time to throw your Poke Balland start a Pokemon Battle."
Text is shown stating "Kleavor used Double Hit! Kleavor adopted a hard-hitting stance!" However, it does not appear to have attacked yet, & the player has not selected Fight, Run, nor Items+Pokemon.
Kleavor is Level 18, Psyduck is Level 15. Kleavor does not have full HP as the battle begins; Close to 60%. Psyduck uses Strong Style Bubble, & Kleavor goes down to about 10% HP. Unusual amount of damage for Bubble.
'These battles are tough and planning ahead is essential if you wish to calm down the Noble Pokemon down."
Kleavor uses Stealth Rock. Psyduck goes into Red Health. Text says "Jugged splinters dug into Psyduck!"
Psyduck uses Water Pulse, depleting the last of Kleavor's HP. Text says "Kleavor let its guard down! Now's your chance to throw balms!" A message below the health bar appears. "Now's your chance! Throw some balms!"

"We hope you enjoyed this sneak peek of Pokemon Legends: Arceus. Countless adventures await you in the Hisui region, and we cannot wait for you to get your hands on the game after it releases on January 28th, exclusively on Nintendo Switch."

A panning camera over a field is shown, with a "Not actual game footage" message, & the narrator says "We will see you very soon in Hisui! Bye!" as an animation plays showing both player characters & some Pokemon, transitioning into the scene the box art depicts.

CLIFFNOTES - Arceus is watching you, & records your movement & tracks who you need to help on the "mysterious device" that is your Arc Phone.
Arceus tracks your phone!
In Pokemon Legends: Arceus, Poke Balls are made from Apricorns & Tumblestone, & Potions are made from Oran Berries & Medicinal Herb, are topical & heal 60 HP, as opposed to the 20 HP spray-on potions of the modern day.
There will be some sort of weather & time system. Pokemon have different temperaments. If you fail to catch an aggressive Pokemon on your first throw while sneaking, it starts a battle.
Starly hop without flapping their wings to flee on the overworld, & are avoidant of the player character.
Berries can be used to distract Pokemon.
There is a mechanic called a Back Strike, which sneaking or having a Pokemon eating seems to help enable.
This is also related to "catching a Pokemon unawares!", which can give you an extra turn; Battles ARE turn based.
A Tangrowth with glowing red eyes attacked the player character on the overworld, causing a black out; Considering the player doesn't black out after only 1 hit in the Noble Kleavor battle, it's unclear how many hits they can tolerate. Also, based on the eyes & later info, the Tangrowth may have been an Alpha Pokemon,
Alpha Pokemon are said to be more aggressive, & need powerful teams & strategies to take down, but it's not clear if they're stronger than typical. However, even when Back Struck, the Alpha Walrein did not go into the Poke Ball; Greater Resistance to Sealing?
This Back Strike &/or the Agile Style Thunder Wave Raichu used seemed to contribute to the situation of "Walrein was caught unawares and is too stunned to move!" early in the battle.
Agile Style & Strong Style moves increase 1 of Speed or Power to change turn order & the power of the move the Pokemon is using. However, they cause extra PP useage.
Noble Pokemon are calmed through both battling to get it to let its guard down, & the use of balms; Thrown items made from the favorite food of the Pokemon. During balm throwing, the trainer must avoid the Noble Pokemon's attacks.
Stealth Rock is now an attack that deals damage upon use.
Double Hit doesn't seem to be an attack?
Pokemon size's & possibly weight can vary. (Bidoof was listed with a varying height & weight, & a request involves showing the NPC, Dorian, a Buizel bigger than his Buizel.)
Ride Pokemon include Wyrdeer, Hisuian Braviary & Basculegion.
Trainer customization is a thing!
The trainer/player character is a member of the Survey Corps, & is who is recruited to defeat the frenzied Noble Pokemon, such as the Kleavor we see.
The trainer gives Survey Reports which Professor Laventon uses to update the Pokedex. There are "research levels". Factors such as catching Pokemon, & observing moves & behaviour are a part of this thing, & the trainer is funded for their research.
All Pokemon on your team gain EXP when you catch a Pokemon.
Throwing 1 of your partner Pokemon's Poke Ball at a Wild Pokemon is a means of initiating a battle.
There is a craftworks, as well as a trading post, where players can trade Pokemon.
Wild Pokemon do not always seem to act on their turn. For example, like with the aggressive Shinx the video shows us, on its turn "Shinx is looking around..."
You can see the turn order in battle before you choose what to do. Items & Pokemon seem to share a menu.
Blacking out causes loss of items.
The "Galaxy Expedition Team" in Jubilife Village (For which game footage is not final.) is apparently people who've come from all over to live & study in Jubilife.
Failing to catch an aggressive Pokemon on your first sneak attempt causes a battle to start.
Some movesets appear to have changed; The trainer's Buneary knows Quick Attack at a different level than typical, & knows Swift, previously a TM only move for it. Alpha Walrein can also use Giga Impact.
It seems that Noble Pokemon may announce prematurely when they're going into a style, as with the message "Kleavor used Double Hit! Kleavor adopted a hard-hitting stance!"

Hopefully that wasn't too long, all!

So if potions got a buff do you think they’ll finally be better at healing than a normal bottle of water?

Also what the hell happened to make Potions worse of the years?

Back