• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Ultima Reality said:
"However if an illusion is placed over the reader where the first half the story is where characters appear to be 3 dimensional and tier 8 to tier 7, while the second half the story reveals that they were actually beyond dimensional concepts to begin with and that a virtually omnipotent power that bounded them was the only reason they seemed three dimensional, it may be considered a huge plot twist lol" - Aurasuke

While Darth Vader's twist is iconic and was still executed incredibly well (Partially because of his voice)

I personally think Reva's twist is still a better done and more surprising twist

SPOILERS for KOTOR 1

Throughout this entire game, you constantly read about this "Revan", A man who almost singlehandedly defeated the mandalorians and saved the republic, a man who literally defied the Jedi Council to do what he believed was right, but also someone who forced the old republic to it's knees, someone who turned mang Jedi against the Republic, and Dark Robed man with a Mask who would fight to the bitter end.

You get a Subtle hints throughout the game, how no one deserves execution, how the force can destroy a person's very identity, and just how fast you were able to become so strong in the force (You did what most Jedi couldn't do in years in weeks)

When the mask is pulled off and I saw my face on the behind it, I realized I, Revan, was the most evil man in the entire galaxy that I was trying to destroy.

From this point, you can either return as the Dark Lord, and redeem yourself for all the things you've done.

And that, is why Revan is the best twist I've seen in a game.

I'm gonna be very basic with this twist. It's not one that many people think of, but Blue being the champion of the Pokémon League. Take yourself back to the first generation of Pokémon, back in '96 with Red and Blue. The internet didn't exist, so spoilers weren't a thing. Now, the rival being the final boss is nothing new in fiction. However, you beat this guy at every twist and turn, fighting him several times throughout the game, including RIGHT BEFORE THE POKEMON LEAGUE. You'd think that would be your last battle with him. You don't run into him afterwards until that moment. You go through the Elite Four, thinking that they're the last challenge. There is no champion until you win. And then you beat Lance. He tells you that you have won the Pokémon League, or at least you would've, if someone didn't beat you to it. And then you see the that Blue ************* Oak is the champion of the Pokémon league. He's the strongest trainer in the world. And has awesome final boss music to go with it.

Other Pokémon ones:

Finding Mewtwo in Cerulean Cave.

Giovanni is Silver's father, which explains why he's both, a dick, and hates Team Rocket. And Red beating Giovanni caused Giovanni to leave his son.

Giovanni is the 8th gym leader. Learning the criminal mastermind that you fought several times is actually the strongest member of the closest thing to a government in the series, and head of the first gym you technically go to.

Finding Red on top of Mt. Silver. This one needs explanations as well. Firstly, Red is the player character of R/B/Y. And the events of R/B/Y are referenced several times throughout the story. Team Rocket's defeat two years ago. Professor Oak. Lance. Bruno. Koga. Then you're able to travel to Kanto. And fight all the gym leaders from the first game. But they're so different. Koga is replaced by his daughter, Misty changed her hair, Cinnabar Island is wrecked, and Blue is the 8th gym leader instead of Giovanni. And he actively namedrops Red. After we beat him, Professor Oak tells us that we can go to Mt. Silver now, but that's only a place for the best of the best. Note how after you cross the barrier into Mt. Silver, there are no trainers at all. It's all wild Pokémon. There's a Pokémon Center, and since this isn't a town, it shows that it's gonna be an arduous journey. You take your time climbing up the mountain with the team that you've trained all this time. Typhlosion. Togetic. Politoed. Sudowoodo. Aipom. Sunflora. And you finally made it to the top. And finally, finally, you see someone else. The character's sprite looks just like yours though. You go to talk to him.

The trainer says nothing but "..."

The Champion (Final Battle) theme starts to play.

Trainer RED wants to battle.

And he sends out his level 81 Pikachu.

Keep in mind that this was supposed to be the final battle in the SERIES.

When that one Kaiju in Pacific Rim grew wings I almost threw my popcorn onto the guy in front of me. Seriously, that was something just so straight out of left field. It was one of those suspension of disbelief moments where the thing was just so impossible you didn't expect it coming.

Spoilers for darkest dungeon and dark souls 3.

In DD, the final boss has an attack that it uses twice that kills a party member in a game with permadeath, no ifs, ands, or buts. The best part? The game forces you to chose who dies to it, and while some face their death with dignity, others don't take being sacrificed to this thing so well. It's significant, as otherwise in the game is impossible to get 1 shot post heart attack nerf. The games still very punishing, but there's always that deaths door, the saving grace, that can allow for people to live far longer than they should, maybe barely holding on, but still making it through in the end. Hell, before a patch fixed this, you could make a character literally immune to death with a combination of quirks and trinkets, and come into your maker still bypassed that. Mechanics like deaths door, virtue chance, crits etc help convey the theme that there's still some glimmer of hope, even in this world otherwise filled with despair, and yet the heart bypasses all your protections and safeties, driving home that in the end, you really were in over your head, and there wasn't really any chance. This is further hammered home by the ending, where it's revealed that the heart can just wait a while and blow up the planet anyways, and there's nothing you can do about it (if you don't subscribe to the idea that that ending was one last spiteful lie told to you by the heart as it lay dying.) The idea of hopelessness like that shouldn't be unfamiliar to people familiar with cosmic horror, but it's rather jarring given that up to that point you had finally been triumphing, storming through the dungeons, overrunning and killing the eldrich horrors within, your heroes growing stronger and stronger, and yet, no matter what you do (barring a very specific strategy that's probably not possible anymore), two chatactech are guaranteed to die there, and you have to pick them. You don't really expect twists like that mid boss fight.

Dark souls 3, it's two things. First is that the situation with the first flame is much worse than it's ever been, to the point that the correct champion actually failed, and ludleth had to **** with time to act as a substitute long enough to hold over for a new one. Except, there never would be a new champion. Gundyr was the last one who would become a proper Lord of cinder, the Ashen ones, no matter how strong the player character and the likes of friede get, we're insufficient for the flame. It doesn't matter that we can kill the combined manifestation of all those that ever linked the flame, it's still not enough. The flsme'f dying, and nothing, not us, not the millions of souls we collect, not even ludleth breaking time can stop it. Burning in the kiln in this game produces no massive eruption of flame like the others, but instead a quiet slow burn, as we allow the flame to burn it's last embers. The ending where you get the dark soul, consume the first flame, and rise with the combined power of the two at this point opposites, ushering in a new era of humanity as the Lord of hollows is arguably the good ending in this game, weirdly enough, as it's the only one in any of the games where we trully have broken the cycle that had plagued this world for so long. Too bad it's an incredibly obtuse questline without a guide, which to be fair I appreciate for kinda getting people to come together and figure out how to solve it.

Wow that was long.

Steins;Gate Spoiler;Alert

The best plot twist I've ever seen was the end of Steins; Gate, especially the part where it is revealed that it was Okabe who killed Kurisu.

Just realized I forgot to type the second part of the DS3 plot twist, and my phone's unreliable with letting me edit comments, so I'll just make another one. The fact that the SoC is composed of the souls of everyone who ever linked the flame, which includes your previous player characters, solaire, and even Get really got me, especially when ohade 2 kicks in and you hear those familiar piano notes as the SoC starts fighting with Gwyn's old moveset, but improved and now unable to be parried. I feel like people who started on 3 or otherwise never played 1 kinda miss out on a bit there.

This guy turns out to be the traitor by the end of Volume 2. Later on it's revealed that he is a double agent sent by his boss to infiltrate a religious organization led by an old ma in Volume 5. Than he betrays both of them and it turns out he was a triple agent working for the gods. Finally he betrays the gods by bringing back the MC and starting Ragnarok and reveals he was just speeding up the process of removing the taboo placed on humanity for his old boss while ignoring the casualties needed to achieve this goal basically death of the majority if the world's population.

Now that I'm thinking about ds3, I may as well talk about the ending to the ringed city, where it's revealed that the ringed city has long fallen to the hollow corruption, and all is dust except you, gael, patches, Shira, and the one ringed knight. After killing gael, absorbing the dark souls itself, killing Shira and the ringed knight, the only things really left alive in the entire universe are you, the painters daughter, possibly patches, and the SoC. There's no triumphant fanfare or anything after killing Gael, you're just alone in the desert, left to gaze upon the ruins of the past and ponder if any of what you did reslly meant anything. A lot of people didn't like how the ringed city didn't unlock a different ending, but I feel like it's fitting for a DLC that acts as a send-off to a beloved franchise. I feel like going from killing Gael to the Lord of hollows ending is the perfect end to the series, pondering the past and finally breaking free from the cycle, starting something trully new, and it's a good metaphor for souls series and fronsoft as a whole. Dark souls was great, and we'll all have our fond memories, but in the end it's just time to make something new, and get out there. This has turned more into ending analysis than twists, so I guess I'll summarize as the fact that Gael has become the host of the dark soul, and that there's no separate ending to ringed city.

Hizack123 said:
someone need to die in darkest dungeon final boss......
Huh
Lepers can't revenge like 8 times anymore, so the 173 damage crit thing isn't doable rip

You can still feasible avoid one death of the two with the right strat, but someone's definitely dead, and losing a level 6 hero is terrible if it wasn't at the very end of the game.

Peter1129 said:
This guy turns out to be the traitor by the end of Volume 2. Later on it's revealed that he is a double agent sent by his boss to infiltrate a religious organization led by an old ma in Volume 5. Than he betrays both of them and it turns out he was a triple agent working for the gods. Finally he betrays the gods by bringing back the MC and starting Ragnarok and reveals he was just speeding up the process of removing the taboo placed on humanity for his old boss while ignoring the casualties needed to achieve this goal basically death of the majority if the world's population.
And then with the happy ending in sight, that guy's first boss reveals he's still got a major grudge against the MC's granddaddya, kills the granddady, seals the powers of the MC (who despite having his power sealed, blows up half of Korea with a shockwave of pure anger), and establishes a new world order in which MC and Graddaddy have been propaganda'd into bad guys who led the gods to kill the humans and MC's friends (one of who is amnesiac and now has a kid) are also enemies of the world order and leaders of their own sorta-terrorist organisations.

Boom

Oh and don't get me started on the whole "Dan Mo-Ri, Hui Mo-Ri, Jin Mo-Ri, Jung Mo-Ri, clones, pieces of MC, reincarnations or clones, who da **** is the MC" plot twist

Jung isnt even Mo-Ri's clone clone. He was cloned by a deciple of the old man meant to be better than the original. Seriously, the current volume is so convoluted it's actually mind numbing.

Shi Hoon from SOul Cartel giving giving his "Life" for a ArchDevil in the last arc. Like seriously bruh

Daemon Spade just being alive and the cause behind most of the stuff in KHR

Itachi being a good guy is probably one of the biggest in all of Shonen history tbh

Netero having a son

Madara getting Zetsued

Obito and the WHole ninja world getting Madaraed

Pervy Sage having a son might be the biggest one ever (JK) not confirmed yet

Rock Lee being bald smmfh

Mintato and Kushina getting Obitoed

Allen Walker being the 14th Noah and the brother of the Earl lol thats probably the biggest on my list

Father Fujimoto being a experimental vessal for Lucifer in Blue Exorcist

Mael being Estarrossa and Gowther tricking the whole world for years maybe one of the biggest as well

But if i gotta say the biggest one it would maybe Ardyn actually being the FIrst King in FFXV and being a actually good guy at first and what happened to Ifrit and his wife

Law being a D and Ace dying and BlackBeard stealing Whitebeards fruit are also huge too

Back