• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Planet Sizes Discussion (Fairy Tail Included) - STAFF ONLY

Not with how you stated it, even so with how things are going, we would then have to do massive revisions for all verses that have been using previous methods

I am not just referring to verses that use that method to find size of planets, countries, etc..

EDIT: I am not derailing anything, just talking about how this would affect the wikia

But that's exactly what we're discussing here.

For the last time, want to say something? Go to a message wall. Stop derailing now that we have to discuss about AKM's suggestion.

Using a distance as small as 400km and stacking it through a series of maps which are bound to have inconsistent art (which is one of the main reasons why curvature calcs are not allowed) to get a size that would make a planet hundreds of times bigger than Earth, when in reality it is completely unsupported by the writing and there's not even a simple reference to such a size and neither any implication nor effects it might cause to the planet and it's flora and fauna, makes it much more easier to believe there's a fault somewhere in the attempt to calc it, otherwise the writer could have easily supported such an extraordinary fact with a simple statement or other means.

Dargoo also went at length about this in the previous thread and might have some more to weigh in once he gets free around the 15th.

Well, it depends on how the writer extrapolates how his cosmology or universe functions in comparison to real world rules, even if the planet would be roughly 6 times larger than real world Earth.

Ok, that's what I think.

• Planets should be assume Earth-Sized unless stated otherwise or shown different properties (Like rings (Saturn) or gas planets)
  • Calcs are only allowed when the planet was stated to be bigger

So let me get this straight, all calcs regarding distance including calcing nations are rejected if they make a planet bigger than Earth size without any statements of it being larger?

So then any calc about nations without official statements about size is rejected then, ok

CNBA3 said:
So then any calc about nations without official statements about size is rejected then, ok
Only if those calcs about nations suggest an Earth far bigger than ours.

Which is still the case especially when you find a small nation in that world is the size of the United States, so yes, it would still be rejected either way

Can we get a few more staff members here, it looks like this is pretty unanimous, but getting more staff wouldn't hurt

Kinda stinks that we will never be able to calc planet sizes though, this might effect God of Highschool as well

We can if there are obvious indications that it's not like Earth or if the natives aren't human and stuff like that. Flat Earths also have calculable diameters, but not calculable gravity or GBE.

Hey at least Fairy Tail stays at High 6-A, just significantly lower in High 6-A, we do lose Low 6-B and Sub-Relativistic tho

I'm not really onboard with the assumption that "a planet should be Earth sized unless contradicted" tbh. Unless the planet is specifically Earth, the size of the planet should vary. Also, if we're going to deny country/island sizes simply based on the fact that they contradict the size of an "Earth sized planet" (Even with statements of it being a certain size), then a lot more calcs should change. For example, one could argue Dressrosa or Arabasta can't be that big, since they're not visible on the globe.

In general however, I believe that sizes based on statements > sizes based on pixelscaling, regardless of the scale. So if Fiore's size, which is based on a clear cut statement, is denied, then I'd argue pixelscaled countries/islands should be rejected as well (e.g. Tenrou from FT, Soul Society from Bleach, Dressrosa from OP)

Because even though I agree with the sentiment of a planet being Earth sized until proven wrong, I disagree with discarding sizes based on statements just because they contradict OUR assumption that the planet is Earth sized. And scale shouldn't really matter that much in my opinion - I'd argue a statement that states the size of an island is more reliable than the size of a pixelscaled city.

Yeah, if this change does go through, only planets should be effected (I still disagree), Fiore's size shouldn't be discounted because it would make the planet too big, that's just silly and basically means we can't pixel scale anything at all, Fairy Tail's Planet ain't Earth so I don't agree with assuming since Fiore is too big compared to Earth, then we don't scale it that big, not using the literal distance description for Fiore size is dumb, I mean there's absolutely no contradiction that this completely fictional country is too big, not to mention there's no other way to scale Fiore

Point being, Fiore stays the size it is

Cause she a Smart Waifu who is an actual God, also Wall's a super computer who knows plenty of info and he didn't say she was wrong about the distance, plus why would it even be stated if the author didn't want us to have the actual distance

It would probably be best if we try to stick to the main topic.

What's left to e discussed? It seems most staff believe that regular earth size should be used unless there is a statement that the earth is larger.

Okay. That is probably fine then.

Where should we write this regulation text?

Well, if it's been decided that Fairy Tail's Planet will be low-balled to earth-size unless we get direct statements about the planet being bigger, then I need to make some revision calcs

Let's at least wait until somebody comes up with a draft for what the rule should say.

I think maybe God of Highschool has a Planet that was calced, I have no idea if there was a direct statement tho

Yikes... Sun sized planet, and no statements of the planet being larger than earth, plus the pixel scale was based off an assumption and it doesn't look like it was actually ever accepted

Poor God of Highschool

Unfortunately, Fiore would have to be rejected because that would make FT world bigger than Earth, which would mean we can't use Etherion calc for the map to get a stat, fortunately we have the actual blast to base it on, so I will get on that

Though this will create a massive downgrade of the entire verse

Yeah I have no idea why people think Fiore's side itself would be thrown out, even if we say we can't use nation sizes that would give a larger planet. The calc gives a diameter of 4158, which gives an area of around 5.5 square kilometers. That's around 1/6th the size of Africa. Places of that size can exist in a fictional verse.

That would not make sense, you have to look at everything as a whole for it to make sense, you can't have one thing and the other, it has to be one or the other. It is one of the smallest nation on Earthland and it is as large as the US. It would contradict what this thread is about

The planet does not sharply resemble Real Life Earth.
There are canonical measurements/references of measurement that don't require calculation stacking.
There are multiple consistent statements or frames of reference regarding it's size.
There is little to no counterevidence or antifeats as to the planet's size.
These points are still acceptable to me. However, I'd wait for Dargoo before concluding this. He was also fine with these points, although since he was heavily involved in the previous thread, he might have something to add.

Okay, this has been accepted then. I will make a draft of the rule soon (in about 2 or 3 hours, have exams now). Next thread is about Dragon Ball Universe Size

CNBA3 said:
That would not make sense, you have to look at everything as a whole for it to make sense, you can't have one thing and the other, it has to be one or the other. It is one of the smallest nation on Earthland and it is as large as the US. It would contradict what this thread is about
If we have statements like that, maybe? But as far as I can tell from the FT calc they didn't get planet size from something like that, they got planet size from pixel scaling on inconsistent maps.

A calc leading to a bad result if you stack more pixel scaling on top of it doesn't invalidate the original calc.

Back