• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Planet Sizes Discussion (Fairy Tail Included) - STAFF ONLY

M3X_2.0

VS Battles
Retired
Continued from here

One of the main points I agree on the previous thread (And some people too) was this comment

Moritzva said:
So, can we agree with the following:
Planet calculations are not to be used unless:

The planet does not sharply resemble Real Life Earth.
There are canonical measurements/references of measurement that don't require calculation stacking.
There are multiple consistent statements or frames of reference regarding it's size.
There are multiple consistent shots/images/maps of it's size.
There is little to no counterevidence or antifeats as to the planet's size.
And something I want to say about Fairy Tail is, they don't have any proof of their Planet being bigger than ours.

"Oh, but there is a 400km statement"

And then I ask you, why do think you can calc a planet bigger than earth based on a 400km statement? The difference between a 400km to a Planet with 30000km+ is ridiculous

And we still have the issue of gravity and such things, you can argue something like "But it is fiction" and I will say "If the author wanted his planet to be bigger, he would state or at least some character would". And to be honest, one of the most important rules about planet sizes is some clear statement about the planet being bigger than ours, just like Toriko with the 200000km circunference and the area being more than 600x bigger. We shouldnt allow any calc of it without any statement of the planet being bigger

Agreed:

Disagreed:

Neutral:

I know I am not staff, but since I was a main arguer and creator of the Fairy Tail Planet Size calc, could I participate as well, I'm ok with not being able to talk, but I would like to participate if possible

Cool

Well I agree that we can calc a Planet being bigger than Earth with all those factors above, if it applies with those several circumstances, I think it is fine to be able to calc a Planet

As for Fairy Tail, the Planet's Size is only needed for a distance and size calc, we don't need Mass or Density, which would have been a more severe issue and I'd be more neutral

The main point is this, Fiore is one of the smallest countries on the Fairy Tail Planet, and it is one of Fourteen countries on the Continent of Ishgar, which is the smallest Continent on the Planet, there are two other continents on the Planet bigger than Ishgar, and I'm not just willing to throw out the 400 Km statement, because Fiore's size is guanranteed, that's a part of the verse that can't just be unused, so considering that as a definitive, the Fairy Tail Planet being bigger does in fact make sense

Also the Planet Size is re-calced at a low-balled 26,159.2 Km, not above 30,000 Km like you said, semantics I know, but still, There's little to no contradictions, it doesn't resemble Earth, and It has multiple shots and Images that portray it as being bigger than Earth

I know I am not allowed to post here, but might I make a suggestion to the standards of measuring planets?

I the most frequently brought up examples are the seemingly large sized earths from various shounen franchises, which I do agree with the OP regarding this. But other verses I'm unsure of would be Golden Sun having this. A planet wide plateau which was thought to be a flat earth and a waterfall thought to be infinite in size, but was later revealed to just be a super large planet was the context here. And currently has little to no effect on the tiers so it doesn't matter too much.

This thread should be highlighted as well, plus it's mostly staff only, so that means it should be safer to highlight

Well I already contacted like 10 or more staff members, but they seem to ignore the message. Let's wait more one day, if they don't comment, I think we can highlight this?

Btw it should also be mentioned that using Planet's curvature to calculate it's size is also not allowed.

"There are multiple consistent shots/images/maps of it's size."

This seems like it would allow such curvature calcs. Or allow calc stacking based on calculating measurements in maps and such, which would contradict the rule saying no calc stacking.

I agree about the Fairy Tail part in the OP.

So should I post a link to this in the highlights thread?

Gravity relies on mass, not volume, so that's probably not the best anti-feat of a planet being a certain size. For instance, Jupiter is over 1000x bigger than Earth in terms of volume, but the acceleration due to gravity is only around 2.5g

Not all solid planets have the same average density. That's what the mass, and therefore gravity, depends on, as well as the volume.

Actually, gravity comes from a combination of multiple things; it's more so a combination of radius and density for the most part. Being 10x denser but same volume/radius makes the planet 10x more massive and 10 G's. A planet with the same density and 10x more radius has 10 G's despite having 1000x more mass and volume. Having 10x the radius and 10x the volume gives it 100 G's, 1000x the volume and 10000x the mass.

Gas planets are usually very shallow but have a massive radius.

And there is a certain limit for a planet that can be massive before becoming a brown dwarf isn't it?

A bit busy, but my 2 cents:

I've always disagreed with Fairy Tail's planet being bigger than our's. You can find old calcs and CRTs where I've gone against this before.

^ You always disagree with any upgrade relared to ft verse

@akm is it possible to calc planet size with any other method? or we just discarding the idea of fictional earth being bigger than our earth? because the 400km statements it's not just a normal statement, it literally provide distance between two towns which can later use for calculating distance for country and continents

From what I understand, the 370km distance is little to not enough evidence to provide such size. If that's the only distance shown so far when regarding Fiore's dimensions, we'd have to check how accurate it is first.

The same should apply to any other calc. Prove its consistecy with other information, because this case might be an isolated information with no backup from the other sources.

The Calaca wrote: From what I understand, the 370km distance is little to not enough evidence to provide such size. If that's the only distance shown so far when regarding Fiore's dimensions, we'd have to check how accurate it is first.

The same should apply to any other calc. Prove its consistecy with other information, because this case might be an isolated information with no backup from the other sources

Consistency we have two more way to calc the distance, Using this scan,https://**********.com/manga/Fairy-Tail/0441-006.png We can calc distance between fiore and alakteshia(or whatever it called)

Or

We can calc the distance between Tekka and Gilitina using this map,https://sorcererweekly.com/reader/c...3ac/24-0-alright-results_5cc8e6fedc825/16.jpg

And this time frame https://sorcererweekly.com/reader/c...700553ac/25-0-fairy-nail_5cdbbb3b0eacc/04.png

But the problem is in both case we need to assume the speed of boat and train. We someone can calc it, we can check if it consistent to 400km statement or not

Etherion has nothing to do with this. Refrain from commenting unless it gives something useful to the discussion.

it does because you stated one piece of info is not enough, and that is how we got the result of it in the first place. I calced the boat one which is somewhat between the biggest and smallest length of the Atlantic Ocean. Sailboat is 9 mph, so it is 3476.18 km long

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...ilboat-speed&usg=AOvVaw3BafN1wHc9BsM0rnhgBUv6

and the train with 59 mph is 472 miles.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...nited_States&usg=AOvVaw1EdIKS7lZHKYLJrGZXkml3

If that were the case from Calaca, then we cannot use the Etherion calc since it does not provide enough information from the one distance

I have provided sufficient information, and this is related to the Etherion issue that you have

You're already posting on a staff only thread with no addition outside of your second comment. And as such I'll delete what doesn't provide input on the current subject which is about the planet.

@The Calaca

Sorry I know this is a Staff only thread but i wanted to clarify that the etherion calc is purely based off of the 400 km statement which is used for the planet size, said statement is then used to calc the sizes of various countries in ishgar (Fairy tails main continent). The calcuation can be found here: Thread

Any questions should be directed towards Mitch as it is his calcuation.

Zackra1799 said:
@The Calaca
Sorry I know this is a Staff only thread but i wanted to clarify that the etherion calc is purely based off of the 400 km statement, said statement is then used to calc the sizes of various countries in ishgar (Fairy tails main continent). The calcuation can be found here: Thread

Any questions should be directed towards Mitch as it is his calcuation.
He doesn't think it is sufficient enough info as it is just one piece of content and doesn't justify to find the size of the planet as a whole

Mitch has been replying on this thread and I'm aware that the Etherion calc also relies on that distance. But to prove the consistency of such number we need to find more statements and evidence of the country being that large.

If you have something to say, lead to a staff member's message wall so they comunicate us.

But that is the thing, even with that one statement, it is not complex enough to do simple calculations to find the size of something.

if not then we would have to through so many calcs away because of that.

We do, actually.

For how things are going here, scaling a planet to this kind of situation will not be allowed anymore.

Back